Sanford, Florida

related topics
{land, century, early}
{utc_offset, utc_offset_dst, timezone}
{service, military, aircraft}
{area, community, home}
{city, population, household}
{city, large, area}
{household, population, female}
{line, north, south}
{county, mile, population}
{war, force, army}

Sanford is a city in, and the county seat[3] of, Seminole County, Florida, United States. The population was 38,291 at the 2000 census. As of 2009, the population recorded by the U.S. Census Bureau was 50,998.[4] An older agricultural and resort area, Sanford is home to the Delta Connection Academy, Seminole State College of Florida and the Central Florida Zoo and Botanical Gardens. The city is situated beside Lake Monroe and the St. Johns River. It is part of the OrlandoKissimmee-Sanford Metropolitan Statistical Area.

Contents

History

The Timucuan Indians once inhabited the shores of Lake Monroe, where the domain of Chief Utina extended to just north of Lake George. By 1760, however, war and disease had decimated the tribe, which would be replaced by the Seminole Indians. Florida was acquired by the United States from Spain in 1821, but the Seminole Wars would delay settlement. In 1835, the Seminoles burned the port of Palatka on the St. Johns River, then the major artery into Central Florida from the East Coast. Consequently, an army garrison was established upstream, on the southern side of Lake Monroe near a trading post. Called Camp Monroe, the log breastwork was attacked on February 8, 1837. It would be strengthened and renamed Fort Mellon in honor of Captain Charles Mellon, the sole American casualty.

General Zachary Taylor had a road built connecting a string of defenses from Lake Monroe to Fort Brooke (now Tampa). The town of Mellonville was founded around Fort Mellon in 1842 by Daniel Stewart. In 1845, Florida became a U.S. state, and Mellonville became county seat of Orange County, formerly called Mosquito County with its county seat across the lake at Enterprise. Orange groves were planted, with the first fruit packing plant built in 1869. In 1870, "General" Henry Shelton Sanford bought 12,548 acres (50.78 km2) to the west of Mellonville and laid out the community of Sanford. Believing it would become a transportation hub, he called it "The Gateway City to South Florida."

Full article ▸

related documents
Fernandina Beach, Florida
St. Marks, Florida
Ormond Beach, Florida
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
Oak Hill, Florida
Bessemer City, North Carolina
Alta California
DeBary, Florida
Chuluota, Florida
Presidio, Texas
Fort Stockton, Texas
Rochester, New Hampshire
Meadville, Pennsylvania
South Daytona, Florida
Juan Ponce de León
Thomas Cavendish
Saco, Maine
Red Deer, Alberta
Lexington, South Carolina
Wyandot
Statesville, North Carolina
Scheyville National Park
Little Chute, Wisconsin
Rindge, New Hampshire
Winona, Minnesota
Belfast, Maine
Center Hill, Florida
Canada East
Wildwood, Florida
Coleman, Florida