Santa Anna, Texas

related topics
{build, building, house}
{household, population, female}
{land, century, early}
{area, community, home}
{water, park, boat}
{town, population, incorporate}
{city, population, household}
{day, year, event}
{company, market, business}
{group, member, jewish}
{car, race, vehicle}
{county, mile, population}
{math, number, function}
{service, military, aircraft}

Santa Anna is a town in Coleman County, Texas, United States. The population was 1,081 at the 2000 census.

Contents

Geography

Santa Anna is located at 31°44′25″N 99°19′31″W / 31.74028°N 99.32528°W / 31.74028; -99.32528 (31.740189, -99.325192)[3].

According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 1.9 square miles (5.0 km²), all of it land.

History

The twin mesas in central Coleman County have always been a landmark. One of the earliest maps of Texas shows a mountain near the center of the state with the notation, "Santa Anna's Peaks." The mountain and later the town were named for the Comanche war chief Santanna, or Santa Anna.

Texas Rangers camped at the foot of the mountain long before the area was settled, and cattle drives from South Texas to the northern markets passed through the gap in the mountain along a military road. This road helped supply the outpost forts along the Texas Forts Trail." The first permanent settlers soon built homes near a fresh water spring at the foot of the mountain. One enterprising settler stocked a supply of goods for trail drivers and settlers, starting the first business at "The Gap" in the early 1870s. In 1879 a petition to open a post office was filed, and the name of Santa Anna was chosen.

During the construction of the Santa Fe Railroad, a group of residents bought land along the right-of-way. Stone buildings were build from limestone quarried from the cap rock of the west mountain. Several businesses moved from Trickham and Brownwood to be a part of the new community. In 1886 The Santa Anna News was established. The first telephone in the county was a private line from Brownwood to Coleman, connected in the Melton Hotel in Santa Anna. A small local exchange was opened in 1892. A drugstore and a bank were opened in the 1880s, and a one-room school was opened that soon expanded to four rooms.

As the open range was preempted and sold, land was cultivated, with cotton the principal crop. Santa Anna eventually had four cotton gins in operation, and was also a major rail shipping point for livestock. The town became a trade center with a thriving business district that included drugstores, hotels, banks, livery stables, and produce houses. One of the early buildings, still a landmark downtown, housed an opera house, where traveling groups and local performers provided entertainment and culture.

After World War I, Dr. T.R. Sealy established a hospital that soon became widely known. A nursing school was founded in the 1920s to provide trained nurses, continuing until the death of Dr. Sealy in the mid 1930s. 1

Full article ▸

related documents
Pond Creek, Oklahoma
Rockville (Vernon)
Copiah County, Mississippi
Brooks, Georgia
Williamsport, Maryland
Silver City, New Mexico
Paw Paw, Illinois
Beersheba Springs, Tennessee
Wauconda, Illinois
Fredonia, New York
Ridgeley, West Virginia
Blossburg, Pennsylvania
Orangeville, Illinois
Bellefonte, Pennsylvania
Monongah, West Virginia
Jamestown, North Carolina
Ajo, Arizona
Glade Spring, Virginia
Courtland, Alabama
Elmira Heights, New York
Malta, Illinois
York Harbor, Maine
Volant, Pennsylvania
McLean, Texas
Boron, California
Jefferson, New Hampshire
Woodsboro, Texas
Strathmore, California
Franklin, Michigan
Milton, North Carolina