Saratoga, New York

related topics
{household, population, female}
{area, part, region}
{line, north, south}
{town, population, incorporate}
{city, population, household}
{war, force, army}
{city, large, area}
{country, population, people}
{county, mile, population}
{son, year, death}
{village, small, smallsup}

Saratoga is a town in Saratoga County, New York, United States. The population was 5,141 at the 2000 census.[1] It is also the commonly used, but not official, name for the neighboring and much more populous city, Saratoga Springs. The major village in the town of Saratoga is Schuylerville which is often, but not officially, called Old Saratoga. Saratoga contains a second village named Victory.

Saratoga is a corruption of an Indian word from the Mohawk language. It was the name of Indian hunting grounds located along both sides of the Hudson River where in the Indian Tongue 'Se-rach-ta-gue' meant 'the hillside country of the quiet river.'

Saratoga is located on the eastern border of the county and is located east of Saratoga Springs, and is bordered by Saratoga Lake and the Hudson River.

Contents

History

The location was first settled at the end of the 17th Century as "Fort Saratoga". It soon became contested land between British and French colonial forces, and the village of Saratoga (now Schuylerville) was destroyed by the French in 1745 during King George's War.

Saratoga was originally a district of Albany County stretching from north of the Mohawk River to Northumberland, including lands for six miles on both sides of the Hudson River. In 1775, there were three district – Ballstown, Halfmoon and Saratoga.

It is best known as the location that British General John Burgoyne surrendered to American General Horatio Gates at the end of the Battles of Saratoga on October 17, 1777, often cited as the turning point for the United States during the American Revolutionary War. Much of the fighting took place in the town of Stillwater to the south however the final seven days of the Battles and the actual sword surrender took place in Saratoga (Schuylerville).

In 1788, an act was passed organizing towns in place of districts and Stillwater was created from the Saratoga District, making four towns in what would become Saratoga County. These four mother towns were subdivided into the present nineteen towns. The original town of Saratoga included the modern day towns of Easton, Northumberland, Moreau, Wilton, portions of Greenfield and Corinth, and the city of Saratoga Springs. The first loss of territory was in 1789 to the town of Easton (now in Washington County). In 1798, the towns of Corinth, Greenfield, Northumberland, Moreau, and Wilton split from the town of Saratoga. In 1819, the town of Saratoga Springs was formed from the western part of the town of Saratoga, later this would become the city of Saratoga Springs. [2]

Full article ▸

related documents
Pittsburg, New Hampshire
Albany, New Hampshire
Telford, Pennsylvania
Carroll, New Hampshire
East Hancock, Maine
North Franklin, Maine
Montour, New York
Clay, New York
East Central Washington, Maine
Little Sand Lake, Minnesota
Monteagle, Tennessee
Charlotte, Tennessee
Cornish, New Hampshire
Indian River, Michigan
Northview, Michigan
North Washington, Maine
Millstadt, Illinois
Assumption Parish, Louisiana
Sturgeon River, Minnesota
Northeast Aitkin, Minnesota
North Beltrami, Minnesota
Berkshire, New York
Queensbury, New York
Reading, New York
Linwood Lake, Minnesota
East Kittson, Minnesota
Mud Hen Lake, Minnesota
Torrey, New York
Crab Lake, Minnesota
North Roseau, Minnesota