Scituate, Rhode Island

related topics
{household, population, female}
{build, building, house}
{island, water, area}
{area, community, home}
{land, century, early}
{town, population, incorporate}
{government, party, election}
{school, student, university}
{day, year, event}
{water, park, boat}
{disease, patient, cell}
{township, household, population}
{village, small, smallsup}
{church, century, christian}
{black, white, people}

Scituate (pronounced /ˈsɪtʃuːɨt/) is a town in Providence County, Rhode Island, United States. The population was 10,324 at the 2000 census.

Contents

History

Scituate was first settled in 1710 by emigrants from Scituate, Massachusetts. The original spelling of the town's name was "Satuit", a native Indian word meaning "cold brook" or "cold river." The town was a part of Providence until 1731.


Scituate's first town meeting was held at the Angell Tavern in South Scituate, with Stephen Hopkins elected as the first moderator and Joseph Brown as clerk. Stephen Hopkins later became a governor of Rhode Island and was a signer of the Declaration of Independence. His brother, Esek Hopkins, was Commander in Chief of the Continental Navy beginning in 1776. In 1788 Scituate representative, militia general and Supreme Court Justice William West led an armed anti-federalist mob of farmers into Providence to protest the U.S. Constitution.[3] In 1791 the U.S. Supreme Court decided its first case, West v. Barnes, regarding a farm in Scituate.

Scituate was once made up of a multitude of small villages, including North Scituate, Hope, Ashland, Clayville, Elmdale, Fiskeville, Glenn Rock, Harrisdale, Jackson, Kent, Ponaganset, Potterville, Richmond, Rockland, Saundersville, and South Scituate. Foster was incorporated as a separate town in 1781, taking the western half of Scituate.

In 1915, the Rhode Island General Assembly voted to take 14,800 acres (60 km2) of land in Scituate (38% of the town) to create a reservoir to supply fresh water to greater Providence. This project resulted in the condemnation of "1,195 buildings, including 375 houses, seven schools, six churches, six mills, thirty dairy farms, eleven ice houses, post offices, and an electric railway system, the Providence and Danielson Railway system". (2) The hamlets of Kent, Richmond, Rockland, South Scituate, Ashland, Saundersville, Ponaganset and parts of North Scituate and Clayville disappeared forever.

Full article ▸

related documents
Palmerton, Pennsylvania
Chalmette, Louisiana
Wachapreague, Virginia
Orange Lake, New York
Franklinton, North Carolina
Ardsley, New York
Johnson City, New York
Napeague, New York
Blacksburg, South Carolina
Delmar, Maryland
Cross Plains, Texas
Goodsprings, Nevada
Arlington, Illinois
Jonesville, North Carolina
Carpentersville, Illinois
Grant Town, West Virginia
Paw Paw, Illinois
Orange, Virginia
Crewe, Virginia
McLean, Texas
Capron, Oklahoma
Glade Spring, Virginia
Orangeville, Illinois
Beersheba Springs, Tennessee
Williamsport, Maryland
York Harbor, Maine
Grand Cane, Louisiana
Orleans, Vermont
La Plata, Maryland
Rainier, Washington