Second College Grant, New Hampshire

related topics
{company, market, business}
{land, century, early}
{school, student, university}
{water, park, boat}
{law, state, case}
{area, part, region}
{rate, high, increase}
{build, building, house}
{township, household, population}
{town, population, incorporate}
{theory, work, human}
{county, mile, population}
{system, computer, user}

Coordinates: 44°54′50″N 71°06′47″W / 44.91389°N 71.11306°W / 44.91389; -71.11306

Second College Grant is a township located in Coos County, New Hampshire, United States. The area of this township is owned and controlled by Dartmouth College. As of the 2000 census, the grant had a total population of 0.

Trails and cabins are available for use by the Dartmouth community, and are maintained by the Dartmouth Outing Club and Dartmouth's Outdoor Programs Office. The DOC maintains three cabins available for rent by DOC members (Peaks, Alder Brook, and Stoddard), and the OPO maintains seven cabins for use by Dartmouth-affiliated individuals and their guests.[1] Many freshmen spend a few days in the Grant as part of their freshmen trips just before freshman orientation. The Grant is also used for timber production, but forest-friendly, sustainable practices are employed.

Contents

Geography

In New Hampshire, locations, grants, purchases, and townships (which are different from towns) are unincorporated portions of a county which are not part of any town and have limited self-government (if any, as many are uninhabited).

The grant is bounded by the Maine border to the east, Atkinson and Gilmanton Academy Grant to the north, Dix's Grant to the west, and Wentworth's Location to the south. One of the other contemporaneous "Dartmouth" grants was to the north of Dixville but was annexed as the eastern end of Clarksville.

According to the United States Census Bureau, the grant has a total area of 41.7 square miles (108.0 km2), of which 41.6 sq mi (107.7 km2) is land and 0.1 sq mi (0.3 km2), or 0.12%, is water. The highest point is a 2,840-foot (870 m) knoll just west of Mount Tucker.

History

In 1766, New Hampshire Governor John Wentworth promised Eleazar Wheelock a grant of a township on which to build Dartmouth College. In 1770, a month after Wheelock received the royal charter, the governor granted the college the township of Landaff (east of Woodsville, New Hampshire), but Wheelock, after viewing the land and others under consideration, decided to establish the college in Hanover. After the American Revolution the college lost its claim to Landaff in 1791, because of the grant’s royal derivation and rival claims by American settlers in Landaff.

Full article ▸

related documents
Market town
Bureau of Land Management
Economy of the Falkland Islands
Commerce
Kingsbury Commitment
Michael Dell
Percy Barnevik
British Aircraft Corporation
Yum! Brands
The Open Group
Dassault Aviation
List of companies of Japan
Pharmacia
Economy of Mayotte
Avon Products
Fordney-McCumber Tariff
Wholesale
Agricultural Adjustment Act
Holding company
Rogernomics
Economy of Suriname
MyTravel Group
The Swatch Group
KPMG
Dornier Flugzeugwerke
Economy of Saint Pierre and Miquelon
Icelandic króna
Single market
Shopping
Benetton Group