Selfridge, North Dakota

related topics
{household, population, female}
{city, population, household}

Selfridge is a city in Sioux County, North Dakota in the United States. Selfridge was founded in 1911. The population was 223 at the 2000 census. A December 2009 estimate puts it at 619. 164 families reside in the area. The city is the 3rd largest city on the Standing Rock Indian Reservation. Sub-Divisions near this city include Chadwick, ND and Porcupine, North Dakota.

Contents

Geography

Selfridge is located at 46°02′31″N 100°55′29″W / 46.042028°N 100.924673°W / 46.042028; -100.924673.[3]

According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.3 square miles (0.7 km2), all of it land.

School System

The Selfridge Public School District system consists of two main school buildings. Selfridge Elementary serves grades K-6. The high school serves grades 7-12. The school system enrolls a little less than 100 kids. The schools were built in the 1950s to replace the old main school house. The elementary school was once a private school for the St. Philomena Catholic Church.

Local Business

The city is now served by the Farmers Union (or Cenex), Branding Iron Bar & Steakhouse, USDA (United States Department of Agriculture), Cedar Soil Conservation, and the community elevators.

History

If we had the chance to go back to the prairie life of the early 1900s here in the City of Selfridge, we could never imagine the changes that could occur in 100 short years. A town that began in 1911 with only a few buildings and a small group of brave settlers who had a dream of a good life in a brand new town. As you go through this article, you will note places where much progress and modernization has taken place, and in other places, much has stayed the same, such as the spirit and friendliness of Selfridge.

It grew up on the Milwaukee Railroad line, which came through here about in 1908. The first depot was a stationary boxcar moved into Selfridge in 1917 by the railroad on a flatcar; G.E. Langbein became the first depot agent. The boxcar-depot was in pretty deplorable condition upon arrival; it took quite a bit of work to fix it up. In the early days, trains were used extensively, for long distance travel by Selfridge residents and continued until the later 40's. Selfridge was very dependent on the railroad in the early years. Everything came in by train—groceries, lumber, fruit, coal, meat, machinery, mail and even ice. The town shipped all its produce out by train also. Again, the mail, livestock, grain dairy products etc. The trains were a vital part of Selfridge as a growing community.

Full article ▸

related documents
Harrisburg, Arkansas
Star City, Arkansas
Sedgwick, Kansas
Mizpah, Minnesota
New England, North Dakota
Turtle Lake, North Dakota
Kulm, North Dakota
Alton, Iowa
Qulin, Missouri
Alton, Missouri
Flovilla, Georgia
McCrory, Arkansas
Everton, Missouri
Advance, Missouri
Fulton, Kansas
Bronson, Kansas
Excelsior Estates, Missouri
Pleasureville, Kentucky
Gibbon, Minnesota
Levasy, Missouri
Hooker, Oklahoma
Sturgis, Kentucky
Lebanon, Illinois
Lewistown, Montana
Whitesville, Kentucky
Upham, North Dakota
Granville, North Dakota
Dadeville, Alabama
Fayette, Iowa
Wellington, Utah