Seven Corners, Virginia

related topics
{household, population, female}
{area, community, home}
{line, north, south}
{son, year, death}
{car, race, vehicle}

Seven Corners is a commercial center and census-designated place (CDP) in Fairfax County, Virginia, United States. The population was 8,701 at the 2000 census. Seven Corners has a "Falls Church" mailing address but is not within the independent City of Falls Church, Virginia. The area got its name from the intersection of State Route 7 (Leesburg Pike and East Broad Street), U.S. Route 50 (Arlington Boulevard), State Route 613 (Sleepy Hollow Road), State Route 338 (Hillwood Avenue) and Wilson Boulevard (also part of State Route 613). The junction of these four roads once created seven corners.

Contents

Geography

According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 0.7 square miles (1.8 km²), all of it land.

The area is built on Munson's Hill, and overlooks adjacent Upton's Hill. The views to the south and west are unbroken, and offer scenic vistas in the directions of Annandale and Fairfax City.

History

Seven Corners was known as Fort Buffalo from the American Civil War until the 1950s. The area took its name from a fortification constructed in October 1862 by men of the 21st New York Infantry. Fort Buffalo stood on the southern side of the Leesburg Pike, at its current intersection with Sleepy Hollow Road. The story of the fort is described in a local history of the Civil War entitled A Virginia Village Goes to War--Falls Church During the Civil War. The fort was built at that location to take advantage of the excellent views to the east and south—the direction from which Confederate Army troops were thought to possibly come.

After the war the massive fortification of Fort Buffalo was dismantled but other earthworks remained and were easily visible through the 1930s.[3]

The change of place name in the 1950s came about due to the construction of Lee Memorial Boulevard, now known as Arlington Boulevard (U.S. Route 50). The construction of Route 50 caused the formation of a seven cornered intersection—or did until the mouth of Wilson Boulevard was rerouted slightly to avoid all those roadways converging on a single point.

With the advent of Route 50 the area quickly developed into an important commercial center with the construction of Seven Corners Shopping Center, one of the first enclosed malls in the Washington region, in 1956.[citation needed] The original center featured an iconic sign combined with a modernistic entry arch; this was later removed. The original Route 50, envisioned and built as a landscaped parkway linking Washington, D.C. with the Shenandoah Valley, has since evolved into a commercial corridor and its function as a link to the valley has been subsumed by Interstate 66.[4]

Full article ▸

related documents
Spackenkill, New York
Wallace, Louisiana
Diamond Beach, New Jersey
Jenison, Michigan
Oilton, Texas
Mandaree, North Dakota
Gardnertown, New York
Sheldon, Texas
Golden Beach, Maryland
Lake Erie Beach, New York
Laguna Vista, Texas
Walterhill, Tennessee
Rossmoor, Maryland
Odell, Oregon
Swissvale, Pennsylvania
Custer, Washington
Welcome, North Carolina
Lasara, Texas
Lake Wynonah, Pennsylvania
Pawnee, Texas
Concow, California
South Paris, Maine
Wolf Lake, Michigan
Five Forks, South Carolina
Damon, Texas
Cloverly, Maryland
Brookdale, South Carolina
Randlett, Utah
Whiterocks, Utah
Aberdeen Gardens, Washington