Shenango Township, Lawrence County, Pennsylvania

related topics
{township, household, population}
{area, community, home}
{build, building, house}
{land, century, early}
{school, student, university}
{line, north, south}
{son, year, death}
{household, population, female}
{rate, high, increase}
{company, market, business}
{city, population, household}

Shenango Township is a township in Lawrence County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 7,633 at the 2000 census. Shenango Township is situated between the cities of New Castle, Pennsylvania (to the north), and Ellwood City, Pennsylvania (to the south).

Contents

Geography

According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 24.4 square miles (63.3 km²), of which, 24.4 square miles (63.2 km²) of it is land and 0.04% is water.

History

Named for the Shenango River, Shenango Township was incorporated in 1796 as a part of Beaver County, Pennsylvania; since Lawrence County did not yet exist at this time. It later became one of Lawrence County's original townships. It quickly became one of the most populous areas because the land was suitable for many different purposes. One of the first settlers to live in Shenango was William Carins. He came to this area in 1796 and was the man who gave Shenango its name. Carins was awarded the land after his service in the Revolutionary War, he was paid in 500 acres (2 km²) of land. Carins worked as a cloth weaver, and ran a small store where he sold his goods. William Tindall was another one of Shenango's first settlers. Tindal was paid 400 acres (1.6 km2) for his service in the Revolutionary War as well. He lived to the age of 93, and was buried in the Tindall family cemetery near the "Turkey Hill" section of the township. The Tindall family cemetery is most famously known as the resting place of Mary Black, a supposed, but never proven witch of around the same time period. Her grave can be located after following the path from the road until you arrive at the swamp, go around the swamp on the left side. Her grave is separate from the others and is the only one dug up. Shenango's largest land owner was a Philadelphia lawyer named Benjamin Chew. Chew bought up large portions of the southern extent of the township under assumed names for pennies an acre. He later resold the land for a profit, and the small town of Chewton was later named after him.

The township was linked to New Castle, Ellwood and Pittsburgh in 1908 by the Pittsburgh, Harmony, Butler and New Castle Railway, an interurban trolley line. The line closed on 15 June 1931 and the trolleys were replaced by buses.

Full article ▸

related documents
Hassan Township, Hennepin County, Minnesota
Center Township, Beaver County, Pennsylvania
East Goshen Township, Pennsylvania
Whitpain Township, Pennsylvania
Highland Township, Oakland County, Michigan
Abington Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania
Millcreek Township, Erie County, Pennsylvania
Calumet Township, Michigan
Macomb Township, Michigan
Wayne, New Jersey
Marlboro Township, New Jersey
East Pikeland Township, Pennsylvania
Edgmont Township, Pennsylvania
Easttown Township, Pennsylvania
Gregg Township, Union County, Pennsylvania
Springfield Township, Union County, New Jersey
Allegheny Township, Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania
Bensalem Township, Pennsylvania
Springfield Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania
Horsham Township, Pennsylvania
Upper Merion Township, Pennsylvania
Hempfield Township, Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania
Whitemarsh Township, Pennsylvania
Scott Township, Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania
Brighton Township, Michigan
Upper Nazareth Township, Pennsylvania
Fairfield Township, Lycoming County, Pennsylvania
Mount Pleasant Township, Washington County, Pennsylvania
Bethlehem Township, Pennsylvania
South Franklin Township, Pennsylvania