Sherwood, Oregon

related topics
{household, population, female}
{city, population, household}
{land, century, early}
{area, community, home}
{school, student, university}
{build, building, house}
{city, large, area}
{company, market, business}
{day, year, event}
{town, population, incorporate}
{black, white, people}
{math, energy, light}

Sherwood is a city in Washington County, Oregon, United States. Located in the southeast corner of the county, it is a residential community in the Tualatin Valley southwest of Portland. The population was 11,791 at the 2000 census. The 2006 estimate is 16,115 residents.[3] Indirectly named for the Sherwood Forest in England, it was platted as "Smockville" by James Christopher and Mary Ellen (nee Sebastion) Smock in 1889. The U. S. Postal Department delivered mail to this same nine block town under the name of "Sherwood" on July 5, 1891. "The Town of Sherwood" was incorporated on March 1893 by the State of Oregon.

Contents

History

What is now the Sherwood area was originally inhabited by the Atfalati band of the Kalapuya nation. The first significant wave of United States emigrants arrived in 1842[4]. Native Americans were relocated to reservations after the Donation Land Claim Act of 1850-5 gave American citizens exclusive ownership of these lands. The relocation process took place under the guidance of a series of interesting federal employees, most notably Superintendent of Indian Affairs Joel Palmer, who was severely criticized for his humane treatment of the tribes.

The California Gold Rush of 1849 caused a dramatic shift in the area's economy. Oregon City, Oregon is located on a stretch of the Willamette River that had always been attractive to trade since prehistoric times, when trading activity was dominated by the Chinookan tribe. When settlers of European extraction began arriving in large numbers, Oregon City became (arguably) the "End of the Oregon Trail". After the Gold Rush, however, Portland, Oregon replaced Oregon City as the area's most important center of trade and commerce. Sherwood sits within twenty miles (32 km) of either metropolis.

The name "Sherwood" arose from a declination of naming the town "Smock Ville" after its co-founders James Christopher and Mary Ellen Smock. In 1885, the Smocks gave a right-of-way on their property to the Portland and Willamette Valley railway. The Smocks platted the town in 1889, the same year rail service began. Tradition has it that no one, not even the town's founders, liked the name "Smock Ville," and so a public meeting was held to rename the town. A prominent businessman, Robert Alexander, suggested the name "Sherwood." According to Post Office records, Alexander was from Sherwood, Michigan, and this was the town that was named after Sherwood Forest England. The U. S. Postal Department began sending mail to the Town of Sherwood, Oregon on July 5, 1891. Smock was the first postmaster. The Town of Sherwood was incorporated under Oregon Senate Bill 36 in 1893[5].

Full article ▸

related documents
Pekin, Illinois
Breaux Bridge, Louisiana
Brewster, Washington
Los Fresnos, Texas
Helotes, Texas
Midway, Utah
Escalante, Utah
Kahlotus, Washington
Altheimer, Arkansas
Vandalia, Illinois
Franklin, Louisiana
Berea, Kentucky
North Augusta, South Carolina
Lincoln Center, Kansas
Red Bluff, California
Mason, Texas
Smithfield, Utah
Pembina, North Dakota
North Bend, Washington
Dickinson, Texas
Commerce, Georgia
Tarkio, Missouri
New Haven, Missouri
Goose Creek, South Carolina
Friendsville, Tennessee
Oakley, Utah
DuPont, Washington
Cashmere, Washington
Lindale, Texas
Kaysville, Utah