South Williamsport, Pennsylvania

related topics
{land, century, early}
{household, population, family}
{area, community, home}
{build, building, house}
{borough, population, unit_pref}
{household, population, female}
{area, part, region}
{country, population, people}
{county, mile, population}
{school, student, university}
{line, north, south}
{city, large, area}
{service, military, aircraft}
{village, small, smallsup}

South Williamsport is a borough in Lycoming County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 6,412 at the 2000 census. It is part of the Williamsport, Pennsylvania Metropolitan Statistical Area.

Contents

History

South Williamsport celebrated the centennial of its incorporation as a borough in 1986. On November 29, 1886, the Lycoming County court incorporated the villages of Rocktown, Billman, and vicinities as the borough of South Williamsport. The land had previously been part of Armstrong Township.

The first recorded inhabitants of the Susquehanna River valley were the Iroquoian speaking Susquehannocks. Their name meant "people of the muddy river" in Algonquin. Decimated by diseases and warfare, they had died out, moved away, or been assimilated into other tribes by the early 18th century. The lands of the West Branch Susquehanna River valley were then chiefly occupied by the Munsee clan or phratry of the Lenape, and were under the nominal control of the Five (later Six) Nations of the Iroquois.

The British purchased land from the Iroquois in the Treaty of Fort Stanwix of 1768, opening what is now Lycoming County to settlement. After the American Revolutionary War, Lycoming County was formed from Northumberland County, on April 13, 1795. The county's area was originally over 12,000 square miles (31,000 km2) and several other counties were subsequently formed from it.

Williamsport, across the river from South Williamsport, was also founded in 1795 and chosen as the county seat. The first settler in what is now South Williamsport is believed to have been Aaron Hagerman, a transplanted Hollander, who is thought to have arrived shortly after the end of the American Revolutionary War. Hagermans Run, which flows through the borough, bears his name.

Full article ▸

related documents
Cambria, Wisconsin
Mogadore, Ohio
Rockford, Ohio
Milan, Ohio
Mifflin Township, Lycoming County, Pennsylvania
Jersey Shore, Pennsylvania
Wolf Township, Pennsylvania
Woodward Township, Lycoming County, Pennsylvania
Pine Township, Lycoming County, Pennsylvania
Muncy, Pennsylvania
Portage, Wisconsin
Canada East
La Pointe, Wisconsin
Thomas Cavendish
Little Chute, Wisconsin
Bessemer City, North Carolina
Belle Fourche, South Dakota
Lexington, South Carolina
Landrum, South Carolina
Mission San Diego de Alcalá
Redlands, California
Spokane Valley, Washington
Tongva
Green Springs, Ohio
Penal colony
Valders, Wisconsin
Abrams, Wisconsin
Juan Ponce de León
Sandwich, Kent
Leif Ericson