South Windsor, Connecticut

related topics
{area, community, home}
{household, population, female}
{land, century, early}
{town, population, incorporate}
{school, student, university}
{government, party, election}
{company, market, business}
{church, century, christian}
{game, team, player}
{build, building, house}
{album, band, music}

South Windsor is a town in Hartford County, Connecticut, United States. The population was 24,412 at the 2000 census.

Contents

Geography

According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 28.7 square miles (74.2 km²), of which, 28.0 square miles (72.4 km²) of it is land and 0.7 square miles (1.8 km²) of it (2.44%) is water.

History

In 1659, Thomas Burnham (1617–1688) purchased the tract of land now covered by the towns of South Windsor and East Hartford from Tantinomo, chief sachem of the Podunk Indians.[1] Burnham lived on the land and later willed it to his nine children.[2] Beginning in the middle of the 17th century, a few of the settlers of Windsor, Connecticut, began using land on the east bank of the Connecticut River for grazing and farming purposes. By 1700, a number of families had made their homes in this area, now known as South Windsor. In 1768, the residents of the area were allowed to incorporate as the separate town of East Windsor, though the area was informally referred to as East Windsor before this time, which then included all of East Windsor, South Windsor and Ellington. Known for its agriculture and ship building, the town supplied more than 200 volunteers during the American Revolution. In 1786, Ellington became an independent town. South Windsor itself was incorporated as a town in 1845. Tobacco was a major crop grown in South Windsor since its founding. However, the town has industrialized and commercialized more over time.

(Old) Main Street, located near the Connecticut River and running north to south from the border of East Hartford to that of East Windsor, is the center of the town's historical district. Wood Memorial Library, Ellsworth School, and the nation's oldest continually operating post office are located on the street. Minister Timothy Edwards is buried in a cemetery located on Main Street, and the town's middle school is named for him. In 1698, Edwards became the first minister for the settlers on the east side of the river and his church was built on Main Street (in present-day South Windsor). His son, theologian Jonathan Edwards, was born in South Windsor (at the time still part of Windsor). Ulysses S. Grant stayed at a home on the street.

Full article ▸

related documents
White Marsh, Maryland
Crozet, Virginia
Great Neck, New York
Edgewood, New Mexico
Fernley, Nevada
Glencoe, Illinois
Fresno, Texas
Howard, Wisconsin
Glenview, Cook County, Illinois
Beach Haven West, New Jersey
Enfield, Connecticut
Celebration, Florida
Atherton, California
Arlington Heights, Illinois
Waldorf, Maryland
Ocean Acres, New Jersey
Longboat Key, Florida
Dale City, Virginia
Dunwoody, Georgia
Berwyn, Illinois
San Ramon, California
Oak Forest, Illinois
Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan
Chicago Ridge, Illinois
Brentwood, Tennessee
Bethesda, Maryland
Farmington, Connecticut
Irvington, New York
The Woodlands, Texas
Crosby, Texas