Southgate, Michigan

related topics
{school, student, university}
{city, population, household}
{game, team, player}
{day, year, event}
{area, community, home}
{album, band, music}
{mi², represent, 1st}
{work, book, publish}
{line, north, south}
{township, household, population}
{film, series, show}
{household, population, female}
{service, military, aircraft}
{government, party, election}
{food, make, wine}
{village, small, smallsup}

Southgate is a city in Wayne County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 30,136 at the 2000 census.

Southgate was the last city to incorporate from the former Ecorse Township, gaining city status in October 1958. The city is bounded by Goddard Road and Brest to the north, M-85/Fort Street and Quarry Road to the east, Pennsylvania Road to the south, and Allen Road to the west. Fordline street also serves as a border between Southgate and Lincoln park between Brest and Goddard.

Southgate currently houses the headquarters of The News-Herald, a local Downriver newspaper which covers over twenty surrounding communities. During the late 1950s and 1960s, The Southgate Sentinel, a Mellus newspaper, was published.

The city of Southgate also features the Splash Park/Downriver YMCA (also called Southgate Fun & Fitness Centre), as well as the Michigan headquarters for the Sonic Drive-In fast food restaurant chain.

Contents

History

There are two accounts of the city's name: Southgate is described in local guides as being the "South Gate" or entrance to the Metro Detroit area. "A metropolitan daily picture story" in late 1956 also gave this explanation.[3]

Southgate's first mayor, Thomas J. Anderson, also stated in 1956 that the name originated from the newly-built Southgate Shopping Center in the middle of the city. "We were trying to get a separate post office for our community, and were advised that it would help our cause if the township board passed a resolution creating an unincorporated village," Anderson explained. "The name Southgate was chosen because of the shopping center then under consideration, and the board agreed that it was an appropriate name. The resolution was adopted at a regular meeting in the early summer of 1953."[4]

Thomas Anderson became the city's first mayor in 1958 after having been Ecorse Township's supervisor for the previous five years. Anderson also has the high school named after him.[5]

Full article ▸

related documents
East Orange, New Jersey
Linwood, New Jersey
Sanford, North Carolina
Garfield, New Jersey
Ocean City, New Jersey
Passaic, New Jersey
Brownsville, Texas
Port Republic, New Jersey
Egg Harbor City, New Jersey
Woodbury, New Jersey
Pleasantville, New Jersey
Waxahachie, Texas
North Wildwood, New Jersey
Delaware, Ohio
Bridgeton, New Jersey
Margate City, New Jersey
Evanston, Illinois
San Francisco State University
Montvale, New Jersey
Gloucester Township, New Jersey
University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore
Ringwood, New Jersey
Exeter College, Oxford
Patriot League
Bartlesville, Oklahoma
Baldwin, Nassau County, New York
Madelia, Minnesota
Brigantine, New Jersey
Mendham Borough, New Jersey
Tenafly, New Jersey