St Cross College, Oxford

related topics
{school, student, university}
{build, building, house}
{church, century, christian}
{theory, work, human}
{city, large, area}
{group, member, jewish}
{math, energy, light}
{style, bgcolor, rowspan}
{ship, engine, design}
{line, north, south}

St Cross College

St Cross College is one of the constituent colleges of the University of Oxford in England. It is an all-graduate college, sharing attractive, traditional-style buildings on a central site in St Giles', just south of Pusey Street. It aims to match the structure, life and support of undergraduate colleges, with the relaxed atmosphere of an all-graduate college.[citation needed]

On 18 November 2010, it was announced that Sir Mark Ellis Powell Jones, at present Director of the Victoria and Albert Museum has been elected as the next Master of the College and will take up the post in September 2011.[3]

Contents

History

St Cross was formally set up by the University in 1965; It was to admit its first graduate students (five in number) in the following year. The establishment of the college, together with that of Iffley (now Wolfson) College, arose out of pressure on the University, during the early 1960s, to solve the related problems of senior members of the University and of the increasing numbers of graduate students, who needed a college affiliation.

The early location of St Cross was on a site in St Cross Road, immediately south of St Cross Church. The college was able to move from St Cross Road into a site owned by Pusey House in St Giles' Street in 1981.

The Pusey House buildings are mainly the work of the architects Temple and Leslie Moore. Thus, although the appearance is very much Gothic in style, the buildings actually date from the period 1911 to 1926. Discreet internal additions and alterations were made when St Cross moved in, by Geoffrey Beard and the Oxford Architects Partnership. Among these was the conversion of a cloister and store rooms into the Saugman Hall, now the Saugman Common Room, named after Per Saugman, a former Director of Blackwell Scientific Publications and a former Fellow of the College. The first quadrangle was named the Richard Blackwell Quadrangle in honour of Richard Blackwell (another former Fellow); both Saugman and Blackwell played a crucial part in securing for St Cross the large Blackwell benefaction for the College.

Behind the main buildings to the west, and through the so-called 'Four Colleges Arch' (named after the four colleges, Christ Church, All Souls, Merton and St. John's, which had contributed especially generous capital and recurrent funding to St. Cross), lay a large open garden. This has offered the College the possibility of expanding its buildings and erecting a second quadrangle. Work has, so far, been completed on one new wing, to the south, containing a hall and kitchen, with bar, function room and weights room below, and study bedrooms above. The new wing was opened in 1993.

Full article ▸

related documents
Northwestern College (Iowa)
Red brick university
Upper Iowa University
Los Angeles Community College District
Atlantic Baptist University
St Hilda's College, Oxford
University of Bergen
Fanwood, New Jersey
Norwegian School of Management
Fort Lewis College
Garwood, New Jersey
Autonomous University of Barcelona
Odense University
Whitman, Massachusetts
University of Puerto Rico
Laurel Springs, New Jersey
East Rockaway, New York
Point Pleasant, New Jersey
Old boy network
National Defense Education Act
University for Peace
Saint Vincent College
Manchester Metropolitan University
University of Gothenburg
Roskilde University
West Long Branch, New Jersey
Holmdel Township, New Jersey
Montana State University - Northern
Hillsdale, New Jersey
Gibbsboro, New Jersey