Stryker, Ohio

related topics
{build, building, house}
{household, population, family}
{school, student, university}
{game, team, player}
{village, small, smallsup}
{township, household, population}
{law, state, case}
{county, mile, population}

Stryker is a village in Williams County, Ohio, United States. The population was 1,406 at the 2000 census.

Contents

History

Stryker is the oldest settlement in Williams County. Named for New York lawyer and railroad capitalist John Stryker, who was the founder of the Michigan Southern Railroad Company, the town was organized on March 30, 1835 by James Guthrie, the first settler in the township and in the county. James settled there along the Tiffin River in 1827. The community continued to grow and by 1840 it was ranked as one of the leading agricultural areas in the United States.

The village of Stryker was surveyed on September 19, 1853 beside the proposed Michigan Southern and Northern Indiana Railroad (now known as Conrail) by John H. Sargent, Epaphras L. Barber and Jesse McCart. The village was officially recorded in Bryan on January 15, 1854 with a legal description for 97 lots. The original streets were named Defiance, South, Church and Depot. The village was named for John Stryker, a lawyer and politician from the state of New York.

According to the village's website, the first store was opened in the fall of 1853 by French immigrant Frederick (Frederic) Louys, followed quickly by a hotel and then a sawmill. The first post office was established in 1855. In 1856 Stryker also became home to a hardware and gristmill. The first timetable for the railroad took effect on Monday June 8, 1857. The route ran from Toledo to Elkhart, stopping at 17 villages along the way. Stryker's first railroad depot was a freight depot on the south side of the tracks. In 1876, a large wooden depot was built on the north side, but in 1900 the roof caught fire and it burned. A new one was built to replace it that same year. Passenger service ceased to Stryker in 1956 and freight service was discontinued soon after. In 1985, the village obtained the depot, which now houses the police department.

In 1857 a two-story frame schoolhouse was built for $1,600. In 1869, a four-room brick schoolhouse was constructed at a cost of $11,500. That building burnt down on December 9, 1902, and a new building was erected in 1904 as an elementary school. The former high school, scheduled for demolition in late 2008, was built in 1918 and an addition was added in 1955. In 1979, the old elementary building was razed and a new building was erected on the site. A new high school and gymnasium were constructed and completed in 2008, set to open with the inception of the 2008-2009 school year.

Geography

Stryker is located at 41°30′10″N 84°25′2″W / 41.50278°N 84.41722°W / 41.50278; -84.41722 (41.502688, -84.417223)[3].

Full article ▸

related documents
Cobble Hill Tunnel
Loxley, Alabama
Hymera, Indiana
Christiansburg, Ohio
Building
Douglasville, Georgia
Evans City, Pennsylvania
Williamsport, Indiana
Eddystone Lighthouse
The Dakota
John Hancock Center
Burwash Hall
Greenville, Indiana
Jerome, Arizona
McIntyre Township, Pennsylvania
Trenton, Michigan
Wells, Texas
Knoxville, Illinois
Letchworth State Park
Becontree
Asheboro, North Carolina
Roslyn, Washington
Underwood, Iowa
Bird-in-Hand, Pennsylvania
Americus, Georgia
Inglewood, California
Blountsville, Alabama
Deadwood, South Dakota
Findlay, Ohio
Hurley, Wisconsin