Tàrrega (Spanish: Tárrega) is a village and municipality located in the Urgell comarca, province of Lleida, Catalonia. According to the 2009 census (INE), the village has a population of 16.539 inhabitants.
Tàrrega, is the capital of Urgell in the Ondara River basin. There is a park at Sant Eloi mountain (420 m), with a Romanesque church of the 13th century. The climate is Mediterranean/continental. The medium temperature is of 14º, and the average rainfall 451 mm per year (596 mm in 2008). In its theatre fair, held annually each September, Tàrrega welcomes more than 100,000 people.
In the middle of the city, is found the square of Carme, better known as "the Courtyard" (El Pati), which accommodates a statue in homage to the famous classical composer Ramon Carnicer (1789–1855), who borned and lived in the town. Next to the square of Carme, we find there the Convent of Carme, owner of a remarkable Renaissance cloister (16th century). For the street of Carme, one of the most ancient streets in the city, we could find the romanesque Palau of the Marquises and the Floresta, constructed in the 13th century, and more down is found the Glassware Mateu, that it has a Gothic façade with more than 300 years. Next, we already find the town square, which accommodates the Town Council of the city, the Parish (of the 17th century), the modernist building of the 19th century]] that lodges the Chamber of Commerce, and the building of the savings bank (1910). The Town Council has a façade of renaissance inspiration, of year 1674.
The main street accommodates the Local Museum (17th and 18th), which still preserves some noble rooms from 18th and 19th century. In the square of Sant Antoni we can find the church with the same name, which dates from the 14th century. More up, there's found the castle of the city, which was constructed in charge of Ramon Berenguer in year 1056. In the present, only a few vestiges remain.
Other streets with an emblematic character are: the avenue of Catalonia, at present in works, that has the honor of being the longest street in the city, where are found some interesting buildings, as the modernist building of "Can Sàrries", or the also modernist construction of Enric of Càrcer; Agoders street, also certainly old, that accommodates a remarkable number of outstanding contruccions, many of which date from the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries; Santa Anna street, owner of abundant establishments, is a pedestrian street highly frequented by the citizens, since it communicates with the street of Carme, which in turn communicates with the Town Square. The most beautiful building that it accommodates, is the "Sobies' house", a modernist frame, the construction of which was certainly influenced for the Mozarabic architecture; The 20th century street, which received this name in honor of the new century in what was entering, is a narrow notably known street which is precisely located beside the railway station. The "House Maimó", another occasion of modernist architecture, is an emblematic building quite recognized thanks to its curious pinnacle. That building was designed by the great architecht Domènech i Montaner, who also designed the Palau de la Música Catalana. Some other fair known streets or avenues of the city are: Saint Pelegrí street, the outskirts of Carme (at present in works), the avenue of Fàtima, the Sant Agustí street, the Urgell street and the Sant Joan street.
Full article ▸