Taylorsville, North Carolina

related topics
{household, population, female}
{build, building, house}
{county, mile, population}
{town, population, incorporate}
{work, book, publish}
{area, community, home}
{borough, population, unit_pref}

Taylorsville is a town in Alexander County, North Carolina, United States. The population was 1,799 at the 2000 census. It is the county seat of Alexander County.[3]

Taylorsville is part of the HickoryLenoirMorganton Metropolitan Statistical Area.

Contents

Geography

Taylorsville is located at 35°55′04″N 81°10′28″W / 35.917869°N 81.174561°W / 35.917869; -81.174561.[4]

According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 2.0 square miles (5.2 km2), all of it land.

History

The Town of Taylorsville was formed in 1847 along with Alexander County. As stated in the Heritage of Alexander County, published by the Alexander County Genealogical Society: A commission of William Dula of Caldwell Co., Dr. James Calloway of Wilkes, Co., Milton Campbell of Iredell Co., and Robert Allen, Reuben Watts and Robert L. Steel of Alexander County were named to select a site as near the center of the county as possible for the seat of justice. The town was named Taylorsville in honor of General Zachary Taylor who at that time was in Mexico engaged in a war.

The land for the town was donated by J.M. Bogle who gave 22 acres (89,000 m2), William Matheson who gave 13 acres (53,000 m2) and James James who gave 11 3/4 acres for a total of 46 3/4 acres. Most of the land was woodland and the road from Statesville to Morganton passed to the South of town.

A commission of Alexander C. McIntosh, R.L. Steel, Sion Harrington, J.H. Newland, and George Swain, treasurer, were appointed to lay out the town of Taylorsville and sell lots to raise money for the building of a courthouse and jail.

An auction of lots was held August 11, 1847 and 47 lots were sold. The second sale was November 30, 1847 and 10 lots were sold. At a third auction on March 8, 1848, five lots were sold. The total amounted to $6,674.75.

The Town of Taylorsville was incorporated in 1851.

The first mayor was John Watts and was appointed by the commissioners. The boundaries of the incorporated town would be square and each side 160 poles or one-half mile.

Demographics

Full article ▸

related documents
Jordan, Montana
Barton, Maryland
Waynesville, Illinois
L'Anse, Michigan
Kirklin, Indiana
Howard City, Michigan
Port Sanilac, Michigan
Castle Shannon, Pennsylvania
Shillington, Pennsylvania
Atlantic City, Wyoming
Maurice, Louisiana
Lafe, Arkansas
Laurium, Michigan
Richmond, Illinois
Brownville, Nebraska
Matthews, Indiana
Bradley, Illinois
Deer Park, Maryland
Old Saybrook, Connecticut
St. Helen, Michigan
Borden, Indiana
Brilliant, Alabama
Haubstadt, Indiana
Bonfield, Illinois
Wesson, Mississippi
Ocean Isle Beach, North Carolina
Piedmont, West Virginia
Shoshoni, Wyoming
Lansford, Pennsylvania
Newport, North Carolina