Thibodaux, Louisiana

related topics
{city, population, household}
{household, population, female}
{black, white, people}
{land, century, early}
{church, century, christian}
{area, part, region}
{household, population, family}
{school, student, university}
{album, band, music}
{area, community, home}
{town, population, incorporate}

Thibodaux (pronounced /ˈtɪbɵdoʊ/ TIB-o-doe) is a small city in and the parish seat of Lafourche Parish, Louisiana, United States,[2] along the banks of Bayou Lafourche in the northwestern part of the parish. The population was 14,431 at the 2000 census. Thibodaux is a principal city of the HoumaBayou Cane–Thibodaux Metropolitan Statistical Area.

ZIP codes for Thibodaux are 70301, 70302, and 70310. Thibodaux's area code is 985. Thibodaux is nicknamed "Queen City of Lafourche."

Contents

History

The community was settled in the 18th century. It was incorporated as a town in 1838 under the name Thibodauxville, in honor of local plantation owner Henry Schuyler Thibodaux, who provided land for the village and served as acting governor of Louisiana in 1824.[3] The name was changed to Thibodeaux in 1838, and the current spelling Thibodaux was officially adopted in 1918.

Civil War

In October 1862, following the Battle of Georgia Landing (Labadieville), Thibodaux was occupied by the Union Army under Godfrey Weitzel. Before they left the city, the Confederates under General Alfred Mouton, later killed in the Battle of Mansfield in De Soto Parish, burned the depot, the bridges, sugar, and supplies that they could not otherwise carry with them.[4]In 1863, the Union under James P. Major temporarily abandoned Thibodaux but soon returned. Winters reports that "terrified Negroes and whites raced into the town announcing that 3,000 Confederate cavalrymen were en route to attack Thibodaux and Lafourche Crossing. [Union] Colonel [Thomas W.] Cahill ordered an immediate retreat. The bayou bridges were burned, three field guns were destroyed, and as many of the men and the horses as possible were loaded . . . and ordered to Raceland. . . . Ammunition was destroyed, horses abandoned, and four field pieces were left behind.[5]

Full article ▸

related documents
Delano, Minnesota
Raymore, Missouri
Hadley, Minnesota
Randolph, Minnesota
Elysian, Minnesota
Duncan, Oklahoma
Bangor, Michigan
Olive Branch, Mississippi
Algonac, Michigan
Columbia, Tennessee
Mason, Michigan
Moose Lake, Minnesota
Uvalde, Texas
Sibley, North Dakota
Grafton, North Dakota
Tuttle, Oklahoma
Romney, West Virginia
Richmond Heights, Missouri
De Smet, South Dakota
Mitchell, Oregon
Ionia, Michigan
Utica, Michigan
Lincoln Park, Michigan
Center Line, Michigan
Alma, Nebraska
Torrington, Wyoming
Dassel, Minnesota
Thomson, Minnesota
Beardsley, Minnesota
Redfield, South Dakota