Tigard, Oregon

related topics
{area, community, home}
{build, building, house}
{city, population, household}
{household, population, family}
{law, state, case}
{government, party, election}
{math, energy, light}
{rate, high, increase}
{household, population, female}
{town, population, incorporate}
{day, year, event}

Tigard (pronounced /ˈtaɪɡərd/) is a city in Washington County, Oregon, United States. The population was 41,223 at the 2000 census. The 2009 estimate is 47,460 residents.[3] As of 2007, Tigard was the state's 12th largest city.[4] Incorporated in 1961, the city is located south of Beaverton and north of Tualatin, and is part of the Portland metropolitan area. Interstate 5 and Oregon Route 217 are the main freeways in the city, with Oregon Route 99W and Oregon Route 210 serving as other major highways, with rail service provided by the TriMet operated Westside Express Service.

Contents

History

Like many towns in the Willamette Valley, Tigard was originally settled by several families, the most noteworthy of which was the Tigard family, headed by Wilson M. Tigard. Arriving in the area known as "East Butte" in 1852, the family settled and became involved in organizing and building the East Butte School, a general store (which starting in 1886 housed the area's post office) and a meeting hall, and renamed East Butte to "Tigardville" in 1886.[5] The Evangelical organization built the Emanuel Evangelical Church at the foot of Bull Mountain, south of the Tigard store in 1886. A blacksmith shop was opened in the 1890s by John Gaarde across from the Tigard Store, and in 1896 a new E. Butte school was opened to handle the growth the community was experiencing from an incoming wave of German settlers.

The period between 1907 and 1910 marked a rapid acceleration in growth as Main Street blossomed with the construction of several new commercial buildings, Germania Hall (a two-story building featuring a restaurant, grocery store, dance hall, and rooms to rent), a shop/post office, and a livery stable. Limited telephone service began in 1908.

Full article ▸

related documents
Erskine, Minnesota
Havre de Grace, Maryland
Kokomo, Indiana
Corsicana, Texas
Wood River, Illinois
Birmingham, Michigan
Jerseyville, Illinois
Clairton, Pennsylvania
Gentry, Arkansas
Texas City, Texas
Valley View, Texas
Sweeny, Texas
Atascadero, California
Maywood Park, Oregon
Fairborn, Ohio
Bowie, Maryland
Tomball, Texas
Richwood, West Virginia
Arkansas City, Kansas
Evansdale, Iowa
Artesia, California
Auburn, Kansas
Somersworth, New Hampshire
Killeen, Texas
Tinley Park, Illinois
Buda, Texas
Ardmore, Oklahoma
Wylie, Texas
Somerville, New Jersey
Holyoke, Massachusetts