Trenton, Texas

related topics
{household, population, female}
{build, building, house}
{city, population, household}
{land, century, early}
{food, make, wine}
{rate, high, increase}
{school, student, university}
{city, large, area}
{household, population, family}
{town, population, incorporate}
{work, book, publish}

Trenton is a city in Fannin County, Texas, United States. The population was 662 at the 2000 census.

Contents

Geography

Trenton is located at 33°25′46″N 96°20′25″W / 33.42944°N 96.34028°W / 33.42944; -96.34028 (33.429566, -96.340143)[3].

According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.6 square miles (4.1 km²), all of it land.

History

Settlers from Tennessee arrived by wagon train from their home state in 1852. At the time of their arrival, the settlement and surrounding area was known by the colorful name of Wild Cat Thicket[4]. With the arrival of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas railroad, a town site was platted by Dr. W. C. Holmes, a pioneer physician & editor "Trenton Tribune", known as "the father of Trenton"[5]. The name Trenton was submitted to the postal authorities (after Trenton, New Jersey) and the post office opened under that name in 1881.

The railroad drew people to Trenton from nearby communities and a depot was built. The first population figures available show 200 people living there in the mid-1880s. Fifteen years later the population was 300 and the town had a school and all essential businesses, including a newspaper, a steam gristmill, a hotel, and a boardinghouse. At that time it became a major shipping origination point for cotton, corn, and oats produced by area farmers. A national bank was opened in Trenton in 1901 and by 1914 was capitalized at $40,000. By the mid-1920s the population had risen to just over 600 people and the Trenton school system had 300 students enrolled. In the early 1930s farmers in the vicinity, influenced by the success of local farmer P. E. Brown, began large-scale commercial production of onions. This new crop grew rapidly in importance, and production reached a peak in 1933, when 158 rail car loads were shipped from Trenton. The effects of the Great Depression were devastating in the region and by 1936, Trenton's population had declined to less than 500. During this time of economic hardship the number of businesses serving the community dwindled to twenty-eight. With the recovery of the economy, the population also began to rise with 634 reported in 1948 to an all time high of 712 by 1967. In 1977 Trenton reported 615 residents and seventeen businesses. By the early 1980s the town had become the third-largest shipping point for onions in North Texas. It had an estimated 682 people and twenty businesses by 1988. In 1990 its population totaled 655 and in 2000 662 people made up the town. [6]

Full article ▸

related documents
Kanopolis, Kansas
Corinne, Utah
Ellisville, Missouri
Jakin, Georgia
Sunnyside, Utah
Stevenson, Alabama
Eureka, Utah
Garibaldi, Oregon
Carbon, Iowa
Gridley, California
Elbing, Kansas
Huntington, Oregon
Cherryvale, Kansas
King City, Missouri
Linwood, Kansas
Hardy, Arkansas
Roy, Utah
Assumption, Illinois
Watertown, Tennessee
Red Lodge, Montana
Rowan, Iowa
St. Paul, Kansas
Forrest City, Arkansas
Independence, Iowa
Hemphill, Texas
Golva, North Dakota
Sayre, Oklahoma
Corry, Pennsylvania
Chandler, Oklahoma
Auburn, California