Trumbull, Nebraska

related topics
{build, building, house}
{household, population, female}
{school, student, university}
{area, community, home}
{day, year, event}
{county, mile, population}
{village, small, smallsup}
{town, population, incorporate}
{line, north, south}
{system, computer, user}
{work, book, publish}
{specie, animal, plant}

Trumbull is a village in Adams and Clay Counties in the U.S. state of Nebraska. The population was 212 at the 2000 census. It is part of the Hastings, Nebraska Micropolitan Statistical Area.

Contents

Geography

Trumbull is located at 40°40'45" North, 98°16'28" West (40.679114, -98.274411)[3]. It is located almost entirely in Clay County; only a small portion of the village lies in Adams County.

According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 0.4 square miles (1.1 km²), all of it land.

History

In the spring of 1873 the Sleuman brothers, George and Sewell, homesteaded in northwest Clay County, Nebraska. The Upton Holderman family arrived that fall, and the Gabriel Huffs and Murry Pattons followed. Out of a need for an education for their children, a school was built near Sleuman's sod house. Mary Huff taught the classes that fall. In winter there were also "literary meetings" for adults and quilting bees for the ladies.

It was near this farm that the Ludlow post office was established. Beginning on January 2, 1880, the mail was dispersed twice weekly by postmaster Gabriel Huff.

By 1883 there were 15 homes in the vicinity. Many families attended the Salem Baptist Church in the southwest corner of Hamilton County, Nebraska, organized by an itinerant pastor, Albert Trumbull, in 1875. Others attended Methodist services held in the Sleuman schoolhouse, organized by Rev. Relm in 1879. Meetings of the Christian Church were first recorded in 1892.

When the Burlington and Missouri River Railroad extended its tracks from Aurora, Nebraska to Hastings, Nebraska, it was obvious that a station would be needed along the way. E.J. Parker and a Mr. Lamb anticipated that it would be established at the half-way point, and proceeded to build a store at that location. The railroad officials, however, decided on two stations, so the little store was moved several miles south to become the first business in Trumbull. The Lincoln Land Company platted the town in 1886. By the time the first train arrived in September, the town had a grain elevator, a lumberyard, and several houses. It has been said that the town was named "Trumbull" for an official on the railroad, but in reality it was to honor the minister who established the first church in the area.

Clay County District 48, approximately three square-miles, was organized in 1875. School was held in a sod house on Ed Eller's farmstead 2 miles east of the present day village. Miss Ollie Campbell, the first teacher, lived with the Ellers. After a term in the "soddy", classes were moved to a new schoolhouse about one-half mile east of what became the town.

The Ferguson Elevator had the first telephone in 1897. By 1903 there were nine phone patrons among the local businesses. The Hamilton County Telephone Company organized in 1904 and built an office to house the equipment and switchboard. The manager lived in the house to provide 24-hour service. This equipment was used until 1955, when a dial system was installed. Another switchboard was located in the McCoy family farmhouse to connect users with Giltner area subscribers.

Full article ▸

related documents
Cheswick, Pennsylvania
Shenandoah, Virginia
Swanton, Nebraska
Mineral, Illinois
Palo Cedro, California
Rosendale, New York
Bernice, Louisiana
Pocahontas, Virginia
Mackinaw, Illinois
Calumet, Michigan
Pāhala, Hawai'i
D'Lo, Mississippi
Fairbury, Illinois
Garner, North Carolina
Milford, Iowa
Canonsburg, Pennsylvania
Abernathy, Texas
Buffalo Gap, Texas
Spring Valley, Illinois
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
Merna, Nebraska
Tuttle, North Dakota
Roby, Texas
Placerville, Idaho
Skiatook, Oklahoma
Helper, Utah
Forest City, Pennsylvania
Carbonado, Washington
Darlington, South Carolina
Agawam, Massachusetts