Tuxedo Park, New York

related topics
{household, population, female}
{area, community, home}
{build, building, house}
{village, small, smallsup}
{area, part, region}
{language, word, form}
{black, white, people}
{day, year, event}
{woman, child, man}
{city, large, area}
{style, bgcolor, rowspan}

Tuxedo Park is a village in Orange County, New York, United States. The population was 731 at the 2000 census. It is part of the PoughkeepsieNewburghMiddletown, NY Metropolitan Statistical Area as well as the larger New YorkNewarkBridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA Combined Statistical Area. The name is derived from a Native American word of the Lenape language, tucsedo, which is said to have more than one meaning.[citation needed]

Tuxedo Park is a village within the southern part of the Town of Tuxedo, near New York Route 17 and the New York State Thruway.

Contents

History

What is now the village and the areas immediately surrounding it, were developed as a resort for Blue Blood society in 1885 by Pierre Lorillard IV on property acquired by his grandfather, Pierre Lorillard II in 1790. At that time it became known as Tuxedo Park. The Park is located in the Ramapo Mountains and had acquired a reputation for undeveloped iron mines and, in consequence, a company formed in England and headed by Lord Sterling acquired a large tract in the neighborhood. The company built furnaces near Ringwood and on the Ramapo River and opened mines near Sterling Lake. Peter Lorillard organized the Tuxedo Club and the Tuxedo Park Association, as hunting and fishing preserve, and surrounded the property with a high game fence. This fence marked fairly accurately the present boundaries of the area restricted to use of the residents of Tuxedo Park. In 1924 the Tuxedo Securities Corporation acquired from the Estate of Peter Lorillard, deceased, all of the stock of the Tuxedo Park Association.

The original club house, designed by Bruce Price, was built in 1886 and was then replaced by a second club house in 1928, which was designed by John Russell Pope. This building was destroyed by fire in 1943, and was partially rebuilt soon thereafter.

The Shingle style houses Price built at Tuxedo, with their compact massing and axial plans influenced several young architects including Frank Lloyd Wright. Queen Anne architecture with Tudor elements became popular for residences.[2] [3]

Full article ▸

related documents
Short Pump, Virginia
Woodmore, Maryland
Long Beach, Indiana
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
Big Lake, Washington
Hillburn, New York
Clarksburg, Maryland
Tyrone, Georgia
Middlebury, Indiana
Arden-on-the-Severn, Maryland
Inwood, New York
Fort Branch, Indiana
Rosedale, Maryland
Brighton, Illinois
Springs, New York
Great Falls, Virginia
Calverton, New York
Rye Brook, New York
Wainscott, New York
Highland Springs, Virginia
Fairfield Glade, Tennessee
Haslett, Michigan
Freeland, Michigan
Spring Valley, Nevada
Manorville, New York
Bartonville, Texas
Burtonsville, Maryland
Hillcrest, Rockland County, New York
Pearl River, New York
Atascocita, Texas