Upper Arlington, Ohio

related topics
{area, community, home}
{line, north, south}
{city, large, area}
{household, population, family}
{day, year, event}
{city, population, household}
{build, building, house}
{island, water, area}
{@card@, make, design}
{film, series, show}
{school, student, university}
{style, bgcolor, rowspan}
{group, member, jewish}
{rate, high, increase}
{water, park, boat}
{village, small, smallsup}

Upper Arlington is a suburban city in Franklin County, Ohio, United States, on the northwest side of the Columbus metropolitan area. The population was 33,686 at the 2000 census.

Contents

Geography

Upper Arlington is located at 40°1′14″N 83°3′59″W / 40.02056°N 83.06639°W / 40.02056; -83.06639 (40.020613, -83.066520)[3]. It is bordered on the west by the Scioto River, on the north and east by Columbus, and on the south by Marble Cliff and Grandview Heights. The Olentangy River and the main campus of the Ohio State University are a short distance to the east of Upper Arlington. Downtown Columbus lies to the southeast, its skyline visible across the OSU farmland research facilities extending along Upper Arlington's eastern border.

The city is located on relatively high ground located between the Olentangy and Scioto rivers. Two ravines cut through the city. The Slate Run in the northwest corner flows into the Scioto River. Turkey Run is longer. It originates in the north then runs southwards until it makes an eastward bend around Reed Rd. Then, it flows eastwards through the OSU Golf Course. The run is used as a storm drain at points, has been dammed in the Ohio State course and runs through concrete pipes at two points. The soil is glacial till, like the rest of Columbus, and is suitable for agriculture, supporting a research farm operated by The Ohio State University.

According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 9.8 square miles (25.4 km²), of which, 9.8 square miles (25.3 km²) of it is land and 0.04 square miles (0.1 km²) of it (0.20%) is water.

History

Upper Arlington was founded by the real estate developers Ben and King Thompson, who purchased most of the farmland that was to become Upper Arlington from James Miller in 1913. This land was directly adjacent to the Marble Cliff Quarry Co. They originally wanted to call it the "Country Club District" after the Country Club development in Kansas City, but by 1917, the community became known as "Upper Arlington," in reference to its southern neighbor of Arlington (now known as Marble Cliff). The Upper Arlington Company was incorporated that year and operated out of a field office built on the former Miller farm; that building is presently the Miller Park branch of the Upper Arlington Library (see no. 4 on the map).

Full article ▸

related documents
Mission Viejo, California
Cedar Grove, New Jersey
Flower Mound, Texas
Daly City, California
The Woodlands, Texas
Alhambra, California
Oak Forest, Illinois
West University Place, Texas
University Park, Illinois
Hilliard, Ohio
Brentwood, Tennessee
Oak Park, Michigan
Burns Harbor, Indiana
Cary, North Carolina
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Arden-Arcade, California
Laguna Hills, California
Eldorado at Santa Fe, New Mexico
East Lansing, Michigan
Norman, Oklahoma
West Caldwell, New Jersey
Hercules, California
Oldham County, Kentucky
San Ramon, California
Deerfield, Illinois
Henlopen Acres, Delaware
Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan
Goleta, California
Dublin, Ohio
Moreno Valley, California