Upper St. Clair Township, Pennsylvania

related topics
{township, household, population}
{area, community, home}
{area, part, region}
{land, century, early}
{build, building, house}
{school, student, university}
{woman, child, man}
{borough, population, unit_pref}
{county, mile, population}

Upper St. Clair Township is a township in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, United States. It is located about ten miles south of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The population was 20,053 at the 2000 census.[1]


Contents

History

The first European settler in present-day Upper St. Clair was John Fife, who settled near the what is now the intersection of Washington and McLaughlin Run roads in 1762.[2]

St. Clair Township, named after General Arthur St. Clair of Revolutionary War fame who was the 9th President of the United States in Congress Assembled. Under his administration as President, February 2, 1787 to October 29, 1787, the Northwest Ordinance and United States Constitution of 1787 were passed.[3]

St. Clair was one of the original townships of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania at the county's creation in 1788. In 1836, the St. Clair Township was divided into two separate townships, Upper St. Clair and Lower St. Clair. The residents of Upper St. Clair formed their township to ensure better government service that could be obtained by separating from the more densely populated northern part of the township. Upper St. Clair Township was further subdivided throughout the 19th and 20th centuries as several parts of the original township separated to form new townships and boroughs.

The Whiskey Rebellion of 1794 had roots in Upper St. Clair.

Formed as a volunteer militia company in 1844 by residents of the township, the "St. Clair Guards" later became Company H of the 62nd Pennsylvania Volunteers.

The community was home to several mines beginning in the late 19th century. Freehold Real Estate Co. built the first major residential development in March 1913 along Washington Road that at the time was conveniently close to streetcar service.

As of today, the community has many fashionable homes and is considered one of the wealthiest in Pittsburgh.

Geography

According to the United States Census Bureau, the township is located at 40°20′8.2986″N 80°4′46.9956″W / 40.3356385°N 80.079721°W / 40.3356385; -80.079721Coordinates: 40°20′8.2986″N 80°4′46.9956″W / 40.3356385°N 80.079721°W / 40.3356385; -80.079721 and has a total area of 9.8 square miles (25.3 km²), of which, 9.8 square miles (25.3 km²) of it is land and 0.10% is water.[4]

Full article ▸

related documents
Stanford Township, Isanti County, Minnesota
Gregg Township, Union County, Pennsylvania
Lancaster Township, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
Aston Township, Pennsylvania
Fairfield Township, Lycoming County, Pennsylvania
Pocopson Township, Pennsylvania
Upper Nazareth Township, Pennsylvania
Lower Macungie Township, Pennsylvania
North Beaver Township, Pennsylvania
Harrison Township, Michigan
Salisbury Township, Lehigh County, Pennsylvania
Ridley Township, Pennsylvania
Mount Pleasant Township, Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania
Grugan Township, Pennsylvania
Fairview Township, Erie County, Pennsylvania
Hickory Township, Forest County, Pennsylvania
Jackson Township, Monroe County, Pennsylvania
Harmony Township, Forest County, Pennsylvania
Vanport Township, Pennsylvania
Upper Providence Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania
Shrewsbury Township, Sullivan County, Pennsylvania
Braintrim Township, Pennsylvania
Pine Grove Township, Warren County, Pennsylvania
Wayne Township, Crawford County, Pennsylvania
Greenfield Township, Erie County, Pennsylvania
Oliver Township, Mifflin County, Pennsylvania
Sugar Grove Township, Warren County, Pennsylvania
Greene Township, Mercer County, Pennsylvania
Monroe Township, Clarion County, Pennsylvania
Nockamixon Township, Pennsylvania