Waldo, Wisconsin

related topics
{household, population, family}
{household, population, female}
{village, small, smallsup}

Waldo is a village in Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, United States, along the Onion River. The population was 450 at the 2000 census. It is included in the Sheboygan, Wisconsin Metropolitan Statistical Area.

Contents

History

The village was originally established as Lyndon Station when the Milwaukee & Northern Railroad laid their tracks through in 1871. The village was plated in 1873 by N.C.Harmon. When it was discovered that there already was an existing Lyndon Station elsewhere in Wisconsin, it was decided to rename the village after O.H.Waldo, a prominent Milwaukee attorney and then president of the railroad.

In 1878 the Post Office (Est. 1852) for the Onion River settlement (Est. 1846), one mile east was closed and Onion River also became part of Waldo. The open area between has since been built up.

The Onion River Dam, a Saw Mill and a Grist Mill had been built at this location on the Onion River in 1856. The Waldo Mill Pond has a normal surface area of 40 acres, currently used only for recreational purposes. The Onion River Dam is a gravity dam, of earthen construction, rock fill, originally completed in 1856. Its height is 15 feet with a length of 300 feet. Maximum discharge is 1165 cubic feet per second. Its capacity is 200 acre feet. Normal storage is 100 acre feet. It drains an area of 22 square miles. The dam and the related mill pond property are now owned by the village of Waldo.

The Waldo Cemetery in the northeast corner of the village is one of the oldest in the county, established in 1854.

Geography

Waldo is located at 43°40′32″N 87°56′48″W / 43.67556°N 87.94667°W / 43.67556; -87.94667 (43.675585, -87.946636)[3].

According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 0.9 square miles (2.3 km²), of which, 0.9 square miles (2.2 km²) of it is land and 0.04 square miles (0.1 km²) of it (3.41%) is water.

Demographics

As of the census[2] of 2000, there were 450 people, 169 households, and 123 families residing in the village. The population density was 529.5 people per square mile (204.4/km²). There were 174 housing units at an average density of 204.7/sq mi (79.0/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 97.56% White, 1.33% Asian, and 1.11% from two or more races.

Full article ▸

related documents
Rosholt, Wisconsin
Syracuse, Ohio
Gann, Ohio
Merrillan, Wisconsin
Endeavor, Wisconsin
Oconomowoc Lake, Wisconsin
Addyston, Ohio
Frederic, Wisconsin
Springville, Wisconsin
Neosho, Wisconsin
Chester, Wisconsin
Dunkirk, Ohio
Waterloo, Grant County, Wisconsin
West Point, Wisconsin
Tuscarawas, Ohio
Clifton, Pierce County, Wisconsin
Irondale, Ohio
Fontana-on-Geneva Lake, Wisconsin
Lakeland, Wisconsin
Crown City, Ohio
Hull, Portage County, Wisconsin
Wild Rose, Wisconsin
Sylvan, Wisconsin
Dellroy, Ohio
Blanchester, Ohio
Ogdensburg, Wisconsin
Sugar Camp, Wisconsin
Liberty Grove, Wisconsin
New Madison, Ohio
Sarona, Wisconsin