Wallace, Indiana

related topics
{household, population, female}
{build, building, house}
{town, population, incorporate}
{township, household, population}
{day, year, event}
{black, white, people}
{area, part, region}
{land, century, early}
{line, north, south}
{village, small, smallsup}

Wallace, originally named Jacksonville[3], is a town located in Jackson Township, Fountain County, Indiana in the United States. As of the 2000 census, the town had a total population of 100.

Contents

History

Jacksonville, one of Fountain County's early settlements, was established by John Bowman and his father Henry in the early 1830s on land situated just north of Mill Creek and was named for Andrew Jackson. The town's name in informal speech was often shortened to "Jackville". The first settler at the site was Richard Williams who erected a cabin as early as 1826, several years before the town was laid out, with the first house erected after Jacksonville's platting belonging to William Guilliams. By the 1880s it contained about two dozen houses.

Early tradesmen in Jacksonville included William Snooks, the township's first blacksmith, Samuel Glass who operated a house of entertainment, shoemaker Alvah Doke, cabinet-maker George McCline, physicians Dr. Reeves, Dr. A. M. C. Hawes and Dr. Joseph Roberts and various general storekeepers. An 1881 history offers the following description of the town's businesses:

In comparatively recent times Noah and Charles Grimes, Bayless and Jacob Carter, — Cunningham & Smith, and several others, had stores. The present dealers are John Murphy, David Oliver, and Johnson Clore. Henry Newlin is selling drugs. His predecessor in this business was W. H. Spinning. A blacksmith and a chair shop are in this place, and a house which welcomes the hungry traveler and jaded animal with entertainment is also to be found. Somebody with business sagacity keeps constantly on hand a stock of coffins as a sign that there are two doctors in the village.

The town gained a post office during the administration of Indiana Governor David Wallace, and was named by John Bowman and Judge Mitchell C. Black in the governor's honor. The town itself later assumed this name. Bowman was the office's first postmaster and Black the first mailcarrier.[3]

Geography

Wallace is located at 39°59'14" North, 87°8'53" West (39.987282, -87.148050)[4]. Mill Creek, which flows from the northeast, borders the town to the east and south.

According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.1 square miles (0.2 km²), of which, 0.1 square miles (0.2 km²) of it is land and none of it is covered by water.

Demographics

As of the census[1] of 2000, there were 100 people, 35 households, and 24 families residing in the town. The population density was 1,182.8 people per square mile (482.6/km²). There were 40 housing units at an average density of 473.1/sq mi (193.1/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 100.00% White, 0.00% African American, 0.00% Native American, 0.00% Asian, 0.00% Pacific Islander, 0.00% from other races, and 0.00% from two or more races. 0.00% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.

Full article ▸

related documents
Crewe, Virginia
Raleigh, Mississippi
Gibbs, Missouri
Cyril, Oklahoma
Felton, California
Cross Plains, Texas
Dix, Illinois
Luke, Maryland
Albers, Illinois
Grantsville, Maryland
Weleetka, Oklahoma
Armington, Illinois
Stockton, Maryland
Kalkaska, Michigan
Waltonville, Illinois
German Valley, Illinois
Roseville, Pennsylvania
Rising Sun, Maryland
Addison, Michigan
Johnson City, New York
Franklinton, North Carolina
Tutwiler, Mississippi
Rainier, Washington
Oxford, Pennsylvania
Ransom, Illinois
Russiaville, Indiana
Sykesville, Maryland
Smyrna, South Carolina
Kingston, New Jersey
Hazleton, Indiana