Walnut, California

related topics
{household, population, female}
{mi², represent, 1st}
{city, population, household}
{area, part, region}
{build, building, house}
{day, year, event}
{area, community, home}
{food, make, wine}
{son, year, death}
{school, student, university}
{game, team, player}
{group, member, jewish}
{style, bgcolor, rowspan}

Walnut is a city in Los Angeles County, California, United States. The population is 30,004 and its current mayor is Tom King, a former Detective from the Los Angeles Police Department.

The city of Walnut obtained its name from the Rancho Los Nogales Mexican land grant, nogales being the Spanish word for walnut. With exceptions to some busy intersections (such as near Mt. San Antonio College), the hilly and affluent city is considerably more relaxed in comparison to most nearby neighborhoods. The city covers nearly nine square miles (23 sq. km) and is home to more than 32,000 people and 600 businesses.

Money's Best Places to Live 2009 ranked Walnut as #70 in America, the highest ranking for a Californian city.[6]

Contents

Geography

Los Angeles is 24 miles (39 km) West

  • Pomona is 7 miles (11 km) East
  • Anaheim is 20 miles (32 km) South
  • Covina is 5 miles (8.0 km) North

History

The history of Walnut dates back to the Indians who were of Shoshone origin. They were called Gabrielino Indians by the Spaniards, who arrived in the early 19th century because they lived in an area controlled by the San Gabriel Mission. Walnut grown in the area was primarily used for the grazing of cattle and sheep by the Mission.

The first Mexican land grants in the Walnut area were those of Rancho San Jose granted to Ricardo Vejar and Ygnacio Palomares in 1837; Rancho Los Nogales granted to Jose De La Cruz Linares in 1840; and Rancho La Puente granted to John Rowland and William Workman in 1842. In 1868, John Rowland and William Workman divided Rancho La Puente, leaving Rowland the eastern half and Workman the western half. Rowland’s land included the western portion of Walnut. The land was used for raising cattle and growing wheat, grapes, and fruit trees.

The City of Walnut’s Bicentennial Commission selected the construction of Lemon Creek Park and the restoration of the William R. Rowland Adobe Redwood Ranch House as Walnut’s bicentennial project. In 1871, the Lemon Creek Park area became the property of Sheriff William Rowland, who inherited the 29,000-acre (120 km2) ranch from his father, John Rowland. The modest structure built in 1883, served as the home of Mr. Meridith, ranch foreman for William Rowland. The adobe redwood ranch house is one of the few remaining original ranch style redwood and adobe structures in the area. On October 1, 1975, the State Landmark Committee placed the W.R. Rowland ranch house in the National Registry of Historical Places.

Full article ▸

related documents
Loyalton, California
La Habra, California
Grass Valley, California
Portola, California
Banning, California
South Lake Tahoe, California
Adelanto, California
Exeter, California
Hollister, California
Grover Beach, California
George, Washington
Landa, North Dakota
Water Valley, Mississippi
Binford, North Dakota
San Juan Bautista, California
Onawa, Iowa
Westminster, South Carolina
Elkton, Minnesota
Lometa, Texas
Manning, South Carolina
Soap Lake, Washington
California, Kentucky
Hopkins, Missouri
Hazard, Kentucky
Garrett, Indiana
Ringsted, Iowa
Zap, North Dakota
Wilmer, Texas
Eagle Bend, Minnesota
Tower City, North Dakota