Warner's Grant, Vermont

related topics
{land, century, early}
{area, part, region}
{household, population, female}
{work, book, publish}
{language, word, form}
{county, mile, population}
{town, population, incorporate}

Warner's Grant, (alternatively, Warners Grant, or Warner's Gore), is a grant located in Essex County, Vermont, United States. At the 2000 census, the grant had a total population of 0. In Vermont, gores and grants are unincorporated portions of a county which are not part on any town and have limited self-government (if any, as many are uninhabited).

Contents

Geography

According to the United States Census Bureau, the grant has a total area of 3.2 square miles (8.2 km2), all land.

Demographics

At the 2000 census[1], there were no people living in the grant.

Proper name

Sources are inconsistent on whether the name is, properly, Warner's Grant or Warners Grant (i.e. with the apostrophe or without), and some sources list it as Warner's Gore.

The original charter (as reproduced in State Papers of Vermont, Volume Two: Charters Granted by the State of Vermont, VT Secretary of State, 1922, pp 206–7) merely mentions the boundaries of the tract of land. The land was granted to Hester Warner, the widow of Col. Seth Warner (one of the leaders of the Green Mountain Boys), and Seth Warner's other heirs. While the name's origin, honoring Seth Warner, is clear, the charter does nothing to specify precise usage.

State Papers of Vermont, Volume One: Index to the Papers of the Surveyors-General (VT Secretary of State, 1918) lists it as "Warner's Grant or Warner's Gore" (p. 154).

The Vermont Statutes mention the grant in at least three places, each time using the term Warner's Grant (Title 17, Chapter 34, Section 1893; T. 24, Ch. 1, Sec. 6; and T. 24, Ch. 117, Sec. 4341(e)).

The Gazetteer of Caledonia and Essex Counties, VT, 1764-1887 (Hamilton Child, 1887) lists the name as Warner's Grant (p. 490).

However, The Vermont Road Atlas and Guide (Northern Cartographic, 1989) uses Warners Grant (p. 63), as do Vermont Place-Names: Footprints of History by Esther M. Swift (The Stephen Greene Press, 1977, pp 220–2), and the Vermont Atlas and Gazetteer (Delorme, 9th ed., 1996, p. 55).

References

Coordinates: 44°55′00″N 71°54′30″W / 44.91667°N 71.90833°W / 44.91667; -71.90833

Averill‡ | Bloomfield | Brighton | Brunswick | Canaan | Concord | East Haven | Ferdinand‡ | Granby | Guildhall | Lemington | Lewis‡ | Lunenburg | Maidstone | Norton | Victory

Full article ▸

related documents
Etten-Leur
Spijkenisse
Belišće
Bethio
Joseph Billings
Leusden
Balanjar
Bartolomé de las Casas
Barnsbury
Sint-Michielsgestel
Bavarii
Nieuw-Lekkerland
Litchfield, New Hampshire
Samandar (city)
Wawarsing, New York
Randolph (ship)
Borne, Overijssel
Des Peres, Missouri
Ababda
Mölln, Schleswig-Holstein
Arvidsjaur Municipality
New England Confederation
Rhoxolani
Grooved ware people
Schleswig, Schleswig-Holstein
Rural exodus
Boxholm Municipality
Finspång Municipality
Haut-Rhin
Hendrik-Ido-Ambacht