Washingtonville, New York

related topics
{build, building, house}
{household, population, female}
{land, century, early}
{area, community, home}
{household, population, family}
{village, small, smallsup}
{system, computer, user}
{day, year, event}
{school, student, university}
{car, race, vehicle}

Washingtonville is a village in Orange County, New York, United States. The population was 5,851 at the 2000 census. It is part of the PoughkeepsieNewburghMiddletown, NY Metropolitan Statistical Area as well as the larger New YorkNewarkBridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA Combined Statistical Area. The village is named in honor of George Washington. It has the 496 and 497 telephone exchange within the 845 area code and the ZIP code 10992.

The Village of Washingtonville is within the Town of Blooming Grove.

Contents

History

Washingtonville was first settled in 1731. The village maintained a slow but steady growth during the second half of the 18th century. In 1809, John Jacques, a boot and shoemaker, set up his shop in this tiny settlement of nine houses, then known as "Little York." Jacques would later establish Brotherhood Winery, the oldest continuously operating winery in the United States, in 1839.

In its earlier years, Washingtonville was called "Matthews Field," even before it became known as Little York. A part of the Rip Van Dam patent, it was sold to Vincent Matthews in 1721. Matthews was the second settler of the region, although the first white settler. Its earliest known inhabitant was an Indian by the name of Moringamus, whose wigwam or tepee was once pitched in back of where the Coleman bottled-gas plant is located now. [[Image:Moffat65] built by Samuel's son David as a gift to his hometown.]] Samuel Moffat built a trading post on the village square in 1811 at the junction of the New Windsor and Blooming Grove Turnpike with the Goshen Road (His son David later endowed Moffat Library on the spot). The hamlet began to prosper with a tannery, grist and plaster mills. A hotel was needed and Samuel Moffat built his Washington Tavern in 1818. The same year Samuel and John Jacques bestowed the village with a new name, Washingtonville, in honor of the late general and first president of the United States, whom we are told came through and watered his horse at the trough which had been located under the big tree in the center of the village.

Full article ▸

related documents
Columbia, California
Mont Vernon, New Hampshire
Carbonado, Washington
Sedro-Woolley, Washington
Medicine Bow, Wyoming
West City, Illinois
Merna, Nebraska
Magnet, Nebraska
Lena, Illinois
Archie, Missouri
Brookside, Alabama
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
Amity, Arkansas
Shepherdstown, West Virginia
Darlington, South Carolina
Buffalo Gap, Texas
Underwood, Iowa
Jerome, Arizona
Canonsburg, Pennsylvania
Monticello, New York
Asher, Oklahoma
Garner, North Carolina
Bernice, Louisiana
Beardstown, Illinois
Fairbury, Illinois
Walnut Grove, California
Skiatook, Oklahoma
Pāhala, Hawai'i
Ely, Nevada
Fowler, Indiana