Wauwatosa, Wisconsin

related topics
{city, population, household}
{area, community, home}
{household, population, female}
{build, building, house}
{area, part, region}
{land, century, early}
{line, north, south}
{school, student, university}
{city, large, area}
{church, century, christian}
{food, make, wine}
{town, population, incorporate}
{specie, animal, plant}
{county, mile, population}
{island, water, area}

Wauwatosa is a city in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, United States, and was incorporated on May 27, 1897.[3] As of the 2006 census estimate, the city's population was 44,798. Wauwatosa is located immediately west of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and is a part of the Milwaukee metropolitan area. It is named after the Potawatomi word for firefly.[4]

Contents

Points of interest

Wauwatosa contains Milwaukee County's Regional Medical Center, which includes the Medical College of Wisconsin, the Children's Hospital of Wisconsin, and Froedtert Hospital, one of two level-one trauma centers in the state. Other points of interest are the Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church designed by Frank Lloyd Wright; and the Memorial Center, built in 1957, which contains the public library, an auditorium, and the city hall. The Washington Highlands, a residential neighborhood designed in 1916 by renowned city planner Werner Hegemann, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1989.

History

The lush Menomonee River Valley of the Wauwatosa area provided a key overland gateway between the rich glacial farmland of southeastern Wisconsin and the Port of Milwaukee. In 1835, Charles Hart became the first permanent white settler, followed by seventeen other families the same year. The following year a United States Road was built from Milwaukee through Wauwatosa, eventually reaching Madison. Charles Hart built a mill in 1845 on the Menomonee River which gave the settlement its original name of "Hart's Mill". The mill was torn down in 1914.[5]

The Town of Wauwatosa was created by act of the Wisconsin Territorial Legislature in 1840, and the town government was organized in 1842. The town's borders originally extended from Greenfield Avenue in the south to Hampton Avenue in the north, and from 27th Street in the east to the Waukesha County line in the west, encompassing sections of present-day Milwaukee and West Allis. Most of the town was farmland through the remainder of the nineteenth century.

Full article ▸

related documents
Keller, Texas
Cedar Park, Texas
Conway, South Carolina
Palmer, Alaska
Colby, Kansas
Rio Grande City, Texas
Blythe, California
Park Hills, Kentucky
American Fork, Utah
White House, Tennessee
St. Matthews, Kentucky
Rogers, Arkansas
Mission, Kansas
Baxter, Minnesota
Whiting, Indiana
Ludowici, Georgia
Jersey Village, Texas
Metter, Georgia
Heber City, Utah
Dowagiac, Michigan
Mockingbird Valley, Kentucky
Sand Springs, Oklahoma
Clinton, Oklahoma
Argyle, Texas
Falcon Heights, Minnesota
Saraland, Alabama
Olivette, Missouri
Clayton, Missouri
Copperas Cove, Texas
Riverton, Utah