Wellington, Texas

related topics
{household, population, female}
{city, population, household}

Wellington is a city in Collingsworth County, Texas, United States. The population was 2,275 at the 2000 census. It is the county seat of Collingsworth County[3].

Contents

Geography

Wellington is located at 34°51′17″N 100°12′49″W / 34.85472°N 100.21361°W / 34.85472; -100.21361 (34.854616, -100.213626)[4].

According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.4 square miles (3.5 km²), all of it land.

History

Sometime in 1889 or 1890, as smaller ranches and farmlands were being purchased, Ernest Theodore O’Neil, his brother-in-law John Simon McConnell and John W. Swearingen, together, had purchased the land which upon which the town currently sits for $5.00 per acre. Subsequently, O’Neil, who originally owned a fourth of the section of the township, purchased the interests of John McConnell and John Swearingen, and retained sole ownership of the land. The 1890 census showed 357 inhabitants across the county, with 89 ranches and farms and 335 acres (1.36 km2) of land in cultivation. In August, 1890, a petition was circulated to organize the county, choose a county seat, and elect county officers. Two potential townships were proposed: Wellington and Pearl. The proposed town of Wellington was located on the land owned by Ernest T. O’Neil who was promoting this location, and had been given its proposed name by his wife, Matilda Anna Elisabeth “Lizzie” O’Neil, who greatly admired the Duke of Wellington, hero of the Battle of Waterloo. The alternate and proposed town of Pearl was located several miles north of Wellington.

In September, 1890, the vote was held and Wellington was selected for the seat of the newly organized county of Collingsworth. In 1891 the new city, laid out by Ernest T. O’Neil, was surveyed and platted, and the first postal service and Postmaster, Carrie M. Barton, was established on January 9, 1891. Construction of a courthouse began in 1893 and the contractor, J. A. White, built the courthouse of locally made bricks. With the extra materials leftover from the courthouse, J. A. White erected a mercantile store for Ernest T. O’Neil. This became the first mercantile store and commercial building in Wellington, prior to the opening of a two-story hotel by O’Neil. Later O’Neil organized the first bank, was active in all phases of the county’s growth and development, and served as Postmaster from August 22, 1895 to December 11, 1897.

Full article ▸

related documents
Grandview, Washington
Petersburg, Texas
Emma, Missouri
Agua Dulce, Nueces County, Texas
Newcastle, Wyoming
Forsan, Texas
Newark, Texas
Pine Forest, Texas
Bevington, Iowa
Sparta, Kentucky
Bruceville-Eddy, Texas
Harrington, Washington
Covington, Texas
Taft, Texas
Southmayd, Texas
Springtown, Texas
Miles, Texas
Wakefield, Nebraska
Stanton, Texas
Sunset, Texas
Tekoa, Washington
Log Cabin, Texas
Star Harbor, Texas
Balmorhea, Texas
Premont, Texas
Blackburn, Missouri
Itasca, Texas
Catoosa, Oklahoma
Kennard, Texas
Junction City, Kentucky