West Bridgewater, Massachusetts

related topics
{school, student, university}
{area, community, home}
{town, population, incorporate}
{household, population, female}
{game, team, player}
{mi², represent, 1st}
{land, century, early}
{build, building, house}
{service, military, aircraft}
{group, member, jewish}
{disease, patient, cell}

West Bridgewater is a town in Plymouth County, Massachusetts, United States. The population was 6,634 at the 2000 census.

Contents

History

West Bridgewater was first settled in 1651 as a part of Olde Bridgewater. The town separated from Bridgewater, Massachusetts and was officially incorporated in 1822, the second of the three communities to separate from Bridgewater (after North Bridgewater, now Brockton, Massachusetts and before East Bridgewater, Massachusetts) over the span of three years. The town, like many in the area, had both agrarian and industrial roots; the Town River provided water power for milling, and irrigation for farming. The town is home to the oldest standing parsonage in the US (the Keith House, 1662). The town is also believed to be the site of the first industrial park in the US, now the site of the Town Park. The original Ames shovel works was located in the park. Today the town is mostly residential.

Geography

According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 15.8 square miles (41.0 km²), of which, 15.7 square miles (40.8 km²) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.2 km²) of it (0.57%) is water. The town ranks 238th of 351 communities in the Commonwealth in terms of land area, and ranks nineteenth out of the twenty-seven towns in Plymouth County. West Bridgewater is bordered by Brockton to the north, East Bridgewater to the east, Bridgewater to the south, and Easton to the west, as well as a small section (less than a quarter of a mile long) of the southwestern corner that borders the town of Raynham. West Bridgewater's town center is approximately four miles south of the center of Brockton, and is twenty-five miles south of Boston.

West Bridgewater lies along the northeast edge of the Hockomock Swamp, with a large section of the southwestern corner of town being covered by the swamp and its wildlife management area. There are also several other protected areas throughout the town, as well as several parks and a large pond surrounded by a state forest. The Town River also passes through the southern portion of town, branching off into several brooks throughout the town, as does the Salisbury River in the northeast corner of town.

Full article ▸

related documents
Vermillion, South Dakota
Evesham Township, New Jersey
Long Hill Township, New Jersey
Loyola University Chicago
New Providence, New Jersey
Palos Heights, Illinois
Little Falls, New Jersey
Rockland, Massachusetts
University of Victoria
University of Cologne
Massey University
Victoria University of Wellington
Rock Bridge High School
Fudan University
North Bergen, New Jersey
Haddam, Connecticut
Branchburg Township, New Jersey
Brick Township, New Jersey
Tsinghua University
Dover, New Jersey
St Benet's Hall, Oxford
DuPont Manual High School
Hertford College, Oxford
Northeast Conference
Rugby School
Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur
United Negro College Fund
Lavallette, New Jersey
Green Brook Township, New Jersey
St Hugh's College, Oxford