White Rock Forge Covered Bridge or White Rock Covered Bridge is a covered bridge that spans the West Branch of the Octoraro Creek in southeast Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, United States. A county-owned and maintained bridge, its official designation is the West Octoraro #2 Bridge. It was built in 1847 by John Russell and Elias McMellen, but the original was destroyed and rebuilt in 1884. The wooden burr bridge crosses the West Branch of the Octoraro Creek. It is 103 feet long and 13 feet wide.
The bridge has a single span, wooden, double Burr arch trusses design with the addition of steel hanger rods. The deck is made from oak planks. It is painted red, the traditional color of Lancaster County covered bridges, on both the inside and outside. Both approaches to the bridge are painted in the traditional white color.
The bridge's WGCB Number is 38-36-18. Added in 1980, it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as structure number 80003522. It is located at 39°49′28.8″N 76°5′24″W / 39.824667°N 76.09°W (39.82467, -76.09000).
- Length: 103 feet (31.4 m) span and 110 feet (33.5 m) total length
- Width: 13 feet (4.0 m) clear deck and 15 feet (4.6 m) total width
- Overhead clearance: 12 feet (3.7 m)
- Underclearance: 13 feet (4.0 m)
White Rock Forge covered bridge
Side view of the bridge
Window in the side of the bridge
Side view of the bridge showing its underside
One of the approaches to the bridge
The other approach
The inside of the bridge showing the Burr arch truss design
Closeup of the Burr arch truss
Full article ▸