Windsor, California

related topics
{household, population, female}
{utc_offset, utc_offset_dst, timezone}
{household, population, family}
{mi², represent, 1st}
{town, population, incorporate}

Windsor is an incorporated town in Sonoma County, California, United States. Its estimated population as of 2008 was 26,437.[4]

Contents

Geography

Windsor is located at 38°32′46″N 122°48′19″W / 38.54611°N 122.80528°W / 38.54611; -122.80528 (38.546038, -122.805201)[5].

According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 6.74 square miles (17.5 km²), all of it land. Windsor is 2 miles (3.2 km) from the Russian River.

History

Although first settled by Europeans in 1851, Windsor was not incorporated until July 1, 1992. Pony Express Rider Hiram Lewis became the town's first postmaster in 1855. He named the town Windsor because it reminded him of the grounds around Windsor Castle.[citation needed]

In 1915, the Old Redwood Highway through Windsor was paved. Up until then, all roads in the area had been dirt.[citation needed]

During World War II, a United States Army air base (now the Charles M. Schulz – Sonoma County Airport) was built in southern Windsor, and it was typical to hear fighter aircraft and bombers flying over the town. In 1943, a camp for German prisoners-of-war was built 1 mile (1.6 km) from downtown.[citation needed]

In 1965, the Windsor Volunteer Fire Department was organized, providing fire protection to the local area. Originally operated out of a small garage by an antique shop, using two 1940's fire engines, the department grew rapidly. In the early 1970s, the volunteer firefighters built a larger firehouse, by hand, at 444 Windsor Road. This was demoted to Station 2 in 1998 and was replaced in 2009 by a brand-new firehouse. Around that time the equipment roster grew from 2 pieces of equipment to two engines, a water tender, a rescue squad, and two utility vehicles, filling up the entire station. In 1992, the department was formed into the Windsor Fire Protection District and brought on two paid firefighters. By 2008, it had grown to four paid firefighters on duty at any given time. Today there are two fire stations protecting the town, one on each side of Highway 101.[citation needed]

Full article ▸

related documents
Byron, Wyoming
Glen Ridge, Florida
Jupiter Inlet Colony, Florida
Hillsboro Ranches, Florida
Cloud Lake, Florida
Juno Beach, Florida
Golf, Florida
Westgate-Belvedere Homes, Florida
Lazy Lake, Florida
Tequesta, Florida
Leadville North, Colorado
Tedder, Florida
Golden Heights, Florida
Dunes Road, Florida
South Palm Beach, Florida
Gulf Stream, Florida
Rock Island, Florida
Limestone Creek, Florida
Godfrey Road, Florida
Boulevard Gardens, Florida
Roosevelt Gardens, Florida
Royal Palm Ranches, Florida
Larkfield-Wikiup, California
Castlewood, Colorado
Canal Point, Florida
Franklin Park, Florida
Schall Circle, Florida
Broadview Park, Florida
South Gastonia, North Carolina
Air Force Academy, Colorado