Professor A. James Link
email@example.com Hoyt Laboratory
Professor Link grew up in Newburyport, MA and obtained his B.S.E. in Chemical Engineering from Princeton University in 2000. Following undergraduate studies, he moved to southern California to pursue a Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering at Caltech under the direction of David Tirrell. After receiving his Ph.D. in 2005, Prof. Link was an NIH Kirschstein Fellow at the University of Texas, Austin, in the lab of George Georgiou. He began his appointment as assistant professor of Chemical Engineering at Princeton in July 2007 and was promoted to associate professor in 2013.
Current graduate students
Originally from St. Petersburg Russia, Mikhail found his permanent home in warm and sunny Memphis, TN. While working towards his B.E. in Chemical Engineering at Vanderbilt University, Mikhail worked in a genomics laboratory and held a research internship at IBM Almaden where he worked on polymer self-assembly for nanolithographic applications. He is now excited to start research in the area of protein design and engineering.
Alan is a third year graduate student in the Link Lab. He grew up in Westfield, New Jersey and graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in 2010 with a B.S. in Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering. As an undergraduate, Alan did research in the areas of biotechnology and protein engineering and interned at Centocor, where he worked on cell line development. Alan is co-advised by Professor Link and Professor Stanislav Shvartsman. His research focuses on protein interactions involved in the MAPK signaling pathway.
Caitlin Allen hails from New Mexico, where she obtained a B.S. in Chemical Engineering from the New Mexico Institute of Mining and Techonology. She has worked for five years as a technical intern at Sandia National Laboratories, and spent two years studying liposomal drug delivery at her undergrad. Her current research project examines the effects of selective mutagenesis on the structure and antibacterial properties of lasso peptides.
Joe is a first year graduate student in the Molecular Biology department. He grew up in Fort Ann, NY and moved across upstate NY to attend Colgate University, where he received a B.A. in biochemistry. Before coming to Princeton, Joe spent time doing research at the NIH and Colgate during undergraduate as well as two years as a technician at Memorial Sloan Kettering working in a crystallography lab. Outside of lab, he likes to read or go biking.
'Jack' Hoang Lu
'Jack' Hoang Lu is a New Yorker originally from Vietnam. He has a MSE in Bioengineering from the University of Pennsylvania where he worked on biomaterials research in Professor Jason Burdick's lab. He also has a BS in Chemical Engineering from Columbia University where he conducted protein engineering research in Professor Scott Banta's group. He has a minor in East Asian studies and has also worked on DNA nanotechnology research in Professor Peng Yin's lab at Harvard University. He has a hamster.
Frank is a first year graduate student in chemical and biological engineering from Secaucus, NJ. He received his B.E. in chemical engineering from the Cooper Union in New York, NY and is excited to be starting research in the field of protein stapling via bioorthogonal chemistry. Outside of the lab he enjoys playing sports and hopes the Rangers win the Stanley Cup in 2013.
Chuhan Zong is from the lovely city Chongqing in China. She attended the University of Minnesota for college, where she obtained her BS in Chemistry and Biochemistry. She has worked at the Mayo Clinic, where she conducted research on protein engineering and breast cancer. She loves music and especially enjoys playing the guitar and keyboard. She also likes to travel and food.
Current undergraduate students
Cathy Chen '14
Cathy is a senior in the Chemical and Biological Engineering Department at Princeton. She grew up in Oxford, Mississippi--home to William Faulkner and the Ole Miss Rebels. After taking Professor Link's CBE 438 class, Cathy is excited to work in the Link Lab and learn more about lasso peptides and biomolecular engineering in general. Outside of the lab, Cathy is a a Residential College Advisor, co-founded the non-profit Read Record Replay, and a member of the Student Health Advisory Board.
Maria Chen '14
Maria Chen is from Ann Arbor, Michigan, and is currently a senior at Princeton University majoring in Chemical and Biological Engineering and pursuing a certificate in Engineering Biology. For the past two summers, she held research internships in the Chinnaiyan Lab at the Michigan Center for Translation Pathology. Her current research in the Link Lab studies the lasso peptide biosynthesis.
Bozhena Lisko '14
Bozhena Lisko is from Branchburg, New Jersey, and is currently a senior at Princeton University pursuing a major in Chemical and Biological Engineering and a certificate in Finance. She has previously done research in the Shaham Lab at Rockefeller University and the McAlpine Lab at Princeton University. She is very excited to be conducting her thesis research at the Link Lab this year. Outside of the lab, Bozhena enjoys participating in the Society of Women Engineers, Tiger Inn, and exploring restaurants in New York City.
Allyse Terrell '14
Allyse Terrell is currently a senior in the Chemical and Biological Engineering Department at Princeton University pursing certificates in Engineering Biology and Finance. She grew up in Benicia, California, a small town in the San Francisco Bay Area. She spent her previous summers interning at Bio-Rad Laboratories in the Gene Expression Division and at the Weiss Lab for Synthetic Biology at MIT. She is excited to begin working in the lab for her senior thesis. Allyse is also a co-president of the Engineering Council, a member of the Princeton Association of Black Women, and a study abroad peer advisor.
Michelle Wu '14
Hailing from the sunny city of San Diego, California, Michelle is a senior in the Molecular Biology department, pursuing certificates in Quantitative and Computational Biology, Engineering Biology and Applications of Computing. She has previously done biology research in the Feng Lab at UC San Diego and the Lesley Lab at the Scripps Research Institute. She is thrilled to be venturing into the realm of bioengineering and doing bioinformatics work on lasso peptides. Outside of the lab, Michelle is a member of the Glee Club and Chapel Choir, an Orange Key tour guide, and an Outdoor Action leader.
Caitlin Wood '15
Caitlin is a junior in the department of Chemical and Biological Engineering, and is pursuing certificates in Engineering Biology and Musical Performance. She has previously done research at the Shaw Thermodynamics Group at the University of Alberta, and has also interned at Boreal Genomics in Vancouver. Outside of the lab, she is an active member of the Princeton University Orchestra. She proudly calls Vancouver, Canada her hometown.
- Diya Abdeljabbar, PhD *12, Merck
- Siyan Zhang, PhD *12, Merck
- Jessica Pan, PhD *12, postdoctoral fellow at the Sloan-Kettering Institute
- Jingjing Sun, MA *09, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Michael Foglio (REU student summer 2013, Richard Stockton College)
- Yan Wu '14, Princeton University
- Edwin Jeng '13, PhD Program, Stanford
- Hannah Kaplan '13, Dana Farber Cancer Institute
- Santiago Martinez Legaspi '13
- Jen Siegel '13, Integra Life Sciences
- Eugenia Zah '13, PhD Program, UCLA
- Norah Ashoura (REU student summer 2012, Florida Inst. of Tech.)
- Angel Placeres Beltran (REU student summer 2012, University of Puerto Rico)
- John Tian '12, Epic Systems Corporation
- Mehek Punatar '12, Masters Program, Columbia University
- Michelle Luo '12, PhD Program, NC State
- Moises Montalvo (REU student summer 2011, University of Puerto Rico)
- Hank Song '11, Princeton in Latin America
- Angel Long '11, MD Program, Duke University
- KL Huang '11
- Jakub Rajniak '11, PhD Program, Stanford University
- Molly Herring '10, DO Program, Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Jayne Choi '10, CNT Energy
- Wai Ling Cheung '10, Rinat Pfizer
- TJ Klein '09, MD/PhD Program, Wright State
- Jay Kwak '09, MD Program, Yonsei University
- Igor Dikiy '09, PhD Program, Weill Cornell Medical School
- Nicole Clarke '09, PhD Program, Stanford University
- Lucy Xu '08, Nomura
- Dave Uppal '08
- Ishani Sud '08
- Rochelle Murray '08
- Karen Aherne '08
High School Students
- Angelo Villaneuva, Union City HS, summer 2013
- Kimberly Perez, Union City HS, summer 2012, starting at Princeton Fall 2013
- Christian Ugaz, Union City HS, summer 2011, now at St. Peter's College
- Shruti Patel, Union City HS, summer 2011, now at Rutgers
- Paola Severino, Union City HS, summer 2010, now at Yale
- Emma Russo, Union City HS, summer 2010, now at Brown
- Yan Wu, Montgomery HS, summer 2009, now at Princeton
- Ana Kakkar, Lawrenceville School, summer 2008, now at Claremont McKenna