University Teaching Experience:
Department of Physics,
West Chester University,
* Assistant Professor, August 2006-June 2011
PHY 100, Elements of Physical Science (non-science majors) Fall '06, '07, '08 and Spring '06, '07, '08, '09, '11
PHY 130, General Physics I, lecture (algebra-based) Spring '08, '09, '10, '11
PHY 130 Laboratory Fall '07, '09 and Spring '08, '09, '10, '11
PHY 140, General Physics II, lecture (algebra-based) Fall '08, '09, '10
PHY 140 Laboratory Fall '10
PHY 300, Mechanics (for junior physics majors) Fall '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
PHY 370, Mathematical Physics (for junior/senior physics majors) Spring '08 and '10
STA 531, Bayesian Modeling (for applied statistics graduate students) Summer '11
Cosmology Crash Course Summer '09
Organized and co-taught intensive 4-day
course for junior and senior physics majors from West Chester,
Physics and Astronomy,
* Taught lectures on special relativity and quantum interference for Penn Summer Science Academy. July 2005
* Gave invited talk for undergraduate Physics Club on gravity research project. February 2005
* Taught recitation sections for engineering physics, mechanics and electromagnetism. September 2002-May 2003
* Conducted labs for engineering physics electricity and magnetism course. January-May 2002
Learning and Teaching,
* Tutored all tracks of introductory physics courses.
Implemented research-based teaching methods:
* Tutorials (guided-discovery group exercises) in PHY 300, PHY 130, Cosmology Crash Course
* Just-In-Time-Teaching in PHY 100, PHY 300, PHY 370
* Interactive Lecture Demonstrations in PHY 130-140
* Service-Learning in PHY 100
K-12 Teaching and Community Outreach:
American Helicopter Museum, West Chester, PA, May 2010-May 2011
* Advised and trained student mentors for "Women in Aerospace and Technology" Girl Scouts program.
* Implemented and analyzed assessments of learning gains and attitudes towards science.
* ·Conducted hands-on astronomy activities with two third-grade teachers and their classes.
YWCA Chester County, West Chester, PA, Summer-Fall 2008
a new service-learning model for PHY 100, involving students in creating and
* Assisted with performing and developing science shows, demonstrations, and activities.
* Co-taught professional development workshops for high-school physical science teachers.
* Initiated after-school Science Fair Club to assist 4th and 5th grade students with their projects.
* Worked with 6th grade teacher to plan and conduct engaging and accurate science lessons.
Institute Science Museum,
* Explained exhibits to visitors as a volunteer in the interpretive services department.
Institut Saint Pierre-Saint Paul,
* Conducted classes in English conversation at middle school and high school.
Explore Our Solar System, Monroe Free Library,
* Created and taught a week-long summer science program for children grades 4-6.
Game of Science, Beverly J. Martin Elementary School,
Initiated and ran weekly after-school
science enrichment program for grades 3-5. Received the
* Faculty Advisor for the Society of Physics Students and Sigma Pi Sigma, 2006 - 2011
* Member of Office of Sponsored Research Advisory Council, 2010 - 2011
* Member of Service Learning Faculty Workgroup, 2010 - 2011
* Faculty Co-Advisor for the Women in Science Club, 2009 - 2011
* Secretary for the African Think Tank, Global Development Collaborative, 2009 - 2010
* Reviewer for WCU Stimulus Grant proposals, 2010
* Physics Faculty Search Committee, 2006 - 2007
Freedom Village Senior Living Community, Coatesville, PA, June 2010
Arcadia University, Philadelphia, PA, Nov. 2009
"A Universe of Galaxies"
WCU Planetarium, West Chester, PA, Nov. 2006