New Graduate College
The New Graduate College was built in 1963 to accommodate the dramatic expansion of the Graduate School's student body that had begun with returning WWII veterans and accelerated through the 1950s and 60s. The NGC is built in a style that originated at the Bauhaus and has since become synonymous with International Modernism. Despite the radical stylistic departure from the OGC's Collegiate Gothic, the buildings complement each other well, in no small measure due to the use of the same stone from New Jersey quarries that was used in the OGC. ~ * ~ Befitting the time of its inception, the NGC hosts two remarkable modern sculptures which are part of the Putnam Sculpture Collection: Floating Figure from 1935 by Gaston Lachaise and Northwood II from 1970 by Kenneth Snelson.
| Previous stop | Next stop on GC tour | Go to big pictures |