Research interests include
fluid mechanics, plasmas, chemical kinetics, Lagrangian dynamics, nonlinear control theory,
and singular perturbation methodologies.
· Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
· Office phone: 609-258-5133
· Departmental fax phone: 609-258-6109
· Regular mail address:
D302-D Engineering Quad
Princeton, NJ 08544
Member, National Academy of Engineering, 2006.
Fellow, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 1996.
Princeton University Engineering Council Teaching Award, 1993.
Senior National Science Foundation Post Doctoral Fellow, 1966-1967.
· Continuum Theory of Electrostatic Probes, (paper, C. H. Su and S. H. Lam), 1963.
· Unified Theory for the Langmuir Probe in a Collisionless Plasma, (paper), 1965.
· Principles of Fluid Mechanics, Li and Lam, Addison Wesley, 1966. (book, downloadable)
· An Analytical Theory of Vibrational Relaxation for Anharmonic Molecules Under Strongly Pumped Conditions (paper) 1977.
· Singular Perturbation Problems with Nearly Resonant Operators (paper) 1977.
· An Analytical Model of Thermionic Discharges, (paper, J. L. Lawless and S. H. Lam), 1985.
· Conventional Asymptotics and Computational Singular Perturbation for Simplified Kinetics Modeling (abstract and paper) 1991.
· On the RNG Theory of Turbulence (abstract and paper) 1992.
· A Study of Homogeneous Methanol Oxidation Kinetics Using CSP, (paper), Goussis and Lam, 1992.
· Using CSP to Understand Complex Chemical Kinetics (abstract and paper) 1993.
· The CSP Method for Simplifying Kinetics (abstract and paper), Lam and Goussis, 1994.
· Eigenfunctions of Linearized Unsteady Boundary Layer Equations (abstract and paper) 1994.
· Reduced Chemistry Modeling and Sensitivity Analysis (abstract and paper) 1995.
· On Lagrangian Dynamics and Its Control Formulation (abstract and paper) 1998.
· A Robust Universal Controller (abstract and paper) 1997.
· Quasi-Steady Approximation and Adaptive Nonlinear Control (abstract and paper) 1998.
· A New Approach to Adaptive Nonlinear Controls (abstract and paper) 1998
· Universal Control Law and Rate Feedbacks (abstract and paper) 1999.
· A Robust Controller for Scalar, Autonomous Optimal Control Problems (abstract and paper) 1999.
· Control of Nonlinear Systems with Delays and Hysteresis (abstract and paper) 1999.
· Noise Tolerance of the Universal Dynamic Controller (abstract and paper) 2000.
· Use of Surrogate Pulse-Response Matrix in the UDCL (abstract and paper). 2001.
· On Decoupling of Shvab-Zel'dovich Variables in the Presence of Diffusion (abstract and paper), Lam and Bellan, Combustion and Flame, Vol. 132, No. 4, pp. 691-696, 2003.
· Multicomponent Diffusion Revisited (abstract and paper), Physics of Fluids, Vol. 18, 073101, July, 2006.
· Reduced Chemistry-Diffusion Coupling (paper), Combustion Science and Technology, 179 (4), 2007.
· Good Enough Tools for Global Warming Policy Making (paper, Socolow and Lam), in Energy for the Future, Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society Series A: Mathematical, Physical & Engineering Sciences, 365, 897-934, 2007.
Model Reduction with Special CSP Data, (paper),
Combustion and Flame, 2013.
· Predicting the Long Term Future of Atmospheric CO2 (abstract and notes) 1998.
· Policy Options for Global Warming (notes). 2000.
· Notes on Classical Sonic Boom Theory (notes). 2001.
· Residence Time of Atmospheric CO2 (essay). 2003.
· Science and Policy on Global Warming (Powerpoint). 2006.
· More Inconvenient Truths (essay). 2007.
· Tools for global warming policymakers (Powerpoint). 2007.
· The logarithmic response and climate sensitivity of CO2 (paper) 2007.
· Inconvenient Issues, (notes) 2008.
· The earth's outward radiation window and equilibrium climate sensitivity (paper; Lam and Royce), 2008.
· The Earth's equilibrium climate sensitivity and thermal inertia (paper, Royce and Lam), 2010.
· Efficient implementation of CSP (draft) 2017
Slides and Pictures of Symposium on New Direction, April 20-21, 2001.