CURRICULUM VITAE (August 2015) pdf
- Department of Sociology, Princeton University
- Wallace Hall
- Princeton, NJ 08544
- ph: (617) 216-1100
- fax: (888) 557-4401
- Princeton University, Doctoral Candidate, Sociology, 2009-Present.
- Princeton University, MA, Sociology, 2012.
- Brown University. BA, Computer Science, 1993-1997.
- Economic Sociology, Globalization, Organizations, Geography, Space/Place, Topic Modeling, Social Networks, Data Visualization.
- PUBLISHED WORK
- Miguel Centeno, Manish Nag, Thayer Patterson, Andrew Shaver, and A. Jason Windawi. August 2015. "The Emergence of Global Systemic Risk." Annual Review of Sociology, Vol. 41.
- Martin Ruef and Manish Nag. 2015. "The Classification of Organizational Forms: Theory and Application to the Field of Higher Education," Chapter 4 in M.L. Stevens and M.W. Kirst (eds.), Remaking College: The Changing Ecology of Higher Education. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press.
- Paul DiMaggio, Manish Nag, David Blei. 2013. "Exploiting Affinities between Topic Modeling and the Sociological Perspective on Culture: Application to Newspaper Coverage of U.S. Government Arts Funding." Poetics, 41:6, Pages 570-606.
- Manish Nag and Miguel Centeno. 2010. "Unpeeling the Global Network of World Trade: 2000." Journal of Social Structure (symposium on network visualizations).
- SOFTWARE/ WEBSITES
- IN PROGRESS
- Manish Nag. "Mapping Networks: A New Method for Integrating Spatial and Network Data." Manuscript.
- Manish Nag. "Assessing the Robustness of Simulated Multilayered Networks Via Entropy Measures of Inter-Network Connection." Manuscript.
- Manish Nag. "Inevitable Progress? The Puzzle of Diverging Trajectories in Female Labor Participation Rates among post-1980 Globalizers." Manuscript.
- August 2015, Chicago, IL. "Defining and Measuring Cultural Change: The Evolving Environment of Representations of U.S. Arts Policy, 1986-1997." Presentation with Paul DiMaggio for Culture Section of American Sociological Association Annual Conference.
- August 2015, New York, NY. "Sabermetrics: A Tour of Moneyball and Beyond." Presentation on External Research for Spotify's Advanced Analytics Group.
- May 2015, Princeton, NJ. "Meaning is Relational: The Changing Contexts of the Keyword 'Risk' in the New York Times Using a Bag-of-Tuples Topic Model." Presentation For 2nd Princeton-NYU Stern-Columbia Business School Conference on Automated Text Analysis.
- May 2015, New York, NY. "What's Wrong With a Little P-Hacking?: Scientific Publishing, the Central Limit Theorem and Hypothesis Testing." Presentation For Engineering and Data Science Lunch Series, Seed Scientific.
- October 2014, Princeton, NJ. "Meaning is Relational: The Changing Contexts of the Keyword 'Risk' in the New York Times Using a Bag-of-Tuples Topic Model." Presentation For Princeton Institute for International and Regional Studies Fellows.
- August 2014, San Francisco, CA. "Inevitable Progress?: The Puzzle of Diverging Trajectories in Female Labor Participation Rates among post-1980 Globalizers." Presentation For Women and Work Section of American Sociological Association Annual Conference.
- May 2014, Princeton, NJ. "Mapping Globalization and the Spatial Turn in the Digital Humanities" Presentation for Princeton Digital Humanities Initiative Research Symposium.
- May 2014, New York, NY. "Risk in Media Discourse: Analyzing the New York Times Annotated Corpus 1987-2006." Presentation for NYU Stern-Columbia Business School Conference on Automated Text Analysis.
- March 2014, Princeton, NJ. "Risk in Media Discourse: An Introduction to Topic Modeling with R and Python." Princeton University Productive Scholar Series in conjunction with Princeton Digital Humanities Initiative.
- June 2013, Santa Fe, NM. "Assessing the Robustness of Multilayered Networks Via Entropy Measures of Inter-Network Connection" Presentation for the Santa Fe Institute Complex Systems Summer School.
- November 2012, Princeton, NJ. "Studying Cultural Change with Topic Models." Presentation with Paul DiMaggio for Princeton University Theorodology Workshop.
- August 2012, Boston, MA. "The Classification of Organizational Forms." Presentation with Martin Ruef for the Academy of Management Annual Meeting.
- April 2012, Philadelphia, PA. "Studying Cultural Change with Topic Models." Presentation with Paul DiMaggio for University of Pennsylvania Economic Sociology Colloquia.
- December 2011, Palo Alto, CA. "Mapping Broad-Access Higher Education." Paper presentation for session on conceptualizing the broad-access sector in the context of US higher education with Stanford University Center for Educational Policy Analysis.
- November 2011, Tuscany, Italy. "Mapping Networks: Spatial Visualizations of Global Commodity Flows 1980-2009." Spaces And Flows: An International Conference On Urban And Extraurban Studies.
- February 2011, Philadelphia, PA. "Mapping Networks: Spatial Visualizations of Global Commodity Flows 1980-2009." Eastern Sociological Society Annual Conference.
- February 2011, Tampa, FL. "Mapping Networks: Spatial Visualizations of Global Commodity Flows 1980-2009." Int'l Network for Social Network Analysis 2011 Sunbelt XXXI Conference.
- October 2010, Princeton, NJ. "The GeoWeb: exploring spatial patterns with a browser and web services." Princeton University Productive Scholar Series in conjunction with Princeton University Library.
- 2014-15, Princeton Institute for International and Regional Studies Graduate Writing Fellowship. $24,000.
- 2012, Research Fellowship, Princeton University Center for the Study of Social Organizations. $5,000.
TEACHING ASSISTANTSHIPS/ SERVICE
- 2012-2013, Representative, Sociology Department Graduate Student Advisory Council
- 2012, Introduction to Sociology, Professors Mitch Duneier and Paul Starr.
- 2011, Sociological Research Methods, Professors Paul Willis and King-To Yeung.
- 2010, Probability and Statistics for Social Science Research, Professor Scott Lynch.
- 2010-Present, Vocals, bass, piano, guitar for department's holiday party band.
- 2012, Invited reviewer, International Journal of Comparative Sociology.
- Research Assistant/Technologist, machine learning, topic modeling and visualization of text data. "Emergence in Culture: Media Depictions of the U.S. Culture Wars." PI: Prof. Paul DiMaggio, Princeton University, 2011-Present.
- Network Analyst/Data Visualization Specialist/Software Consultant. Conducted social network analysis and visualization of co-publication networks of NASA scientists on the Cassini orbiter mission. Also provided system audit for Python and MySql based application server. PI: Prof. Janet Vertesi, Princeton University, May-Oct 2014.
- Research Assistant/Geographer. Atlas of Globalization. Book project with University of California Press. Prof. Miguel Centeno, Princeton University, 2012-Present.
- Research Assistant/Technologist, machine learning, topic modeling and visualization of text data. "Classifying Organizational Forms in the Field of Higher Education." Research project for the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. PI: Prof. Martin Ruef, Princeton University, 2011-2012.
- Research Assistant/Technologist, geospatial visualization of commodity flows. "Mapping Globalization: Network Visualization Website." PI: Prof. Miguel Centeno, Princeton University, 2010 – Present.
- Research Assistant/ Visualization Specialist: "Social Structure of the World Polity" (see American Journal of Sociology 115: 1018–68). PI: Prof. Jason Beckfield, Harvard University, 2008-2010.
- Research Assistant: "Effect of Global Outsourcing on Indian Female Labor Participation." PI: Prof. Mary Brinton, Harvard University, 2008.
- Statistical Packages: Stata 11 (6 years), R (6 years).
- Geographic Packages: R with sp and rgdal (4 years), GMT (7 years), ArcGIS (4 years).
- Programming Languages: Python (4 years), Perl (15 years), C++ (15 years), Java (11 years), Scala (3 months).
- Relational databases: Hive (3 months), SparkSQL (3 months), Oracle (15 years, DBA experience), Microsoft SQL Server (15 years), MySQL (17 years).
- Technology Consultant for clients in higher education. Exeter Group, Cambridge, MA. 1997-1999.
- Founder and President of internet consultancy, subsequently sold business. Furnace Blast Technologies, Newton, MA. 1999-2000.
- Director of Web Services for a Boston financial services marketing company. Spire, Boston, MA. 2000-2005.
- Manager of Program Management for trading and risk management practice. Sapient, Cambridge, MA. 2005-2008.
- Senior Software Engineer for web crawling and content analysis startup. Bee Software, New York, NY. 2008-2014.
- Data Scientist. Seed Scientific, New York, NY. 2014-June 2015.
- Data Scientist. Spotify, New York, NY. June 2015-Present.
- American Sociological Association.
- Eastern Sociological Society.
- International Network for Social Network Analysis.
- Academy of Management.
- Vocals, synths, guitar, bass for Static on the Radio.