The Seeley G. Mudd Manuscript Library, a division of the Department of Rare Books and Special Collections, is a state-of-the-art repository constructed in 1976 to house the Princeton University Archives and a highly regarded collection of 20th-century public policy papers. The 30,000 linear feet of archival and manuscript material in its possession are widely used by local, national, and international researchers. More than 2,000 visitors use the Mudd Library's congenial reading room each year, and its staff field some 3,000 electronic, mail, and telephone inquiries annually. A vigorous processing program, the exploitation of new technologies, and an emphasis on public service have ensured that Mudd Library's collections are ever more accessible and usable.
Mudd Library has a permanent staff of six, headed by University Archivist Daniel J. Linke, as well as six project staff funded by private and public sources. A sophisticated security system, environmental controls, and a Halon fire suppression system ensure the protection and preservation of Mudd Library's holdings. The Public Policy Papers include important collections representing individuals and organizations in the areas of 20th-century American foreign policy, jurisprudence, journalism, public policy formation, and international development. The Library also houses the Archives of Princeton University which document administrative, research and student and staff activities on campus from its establishment as the College of New Jersey in 1746 to the present. The Library's collections include manuscript collections/archives, correspondence, publications, phonograph recordings, audio and video tapes, films, and photographs. While collections do not circulate, photoduplication services for both documents and images are available to and heavily used by researchers.
Seeley G. Mudd Manuscript Library
65 Olden Street
Princeton, NJ 08540
Tel: (609) 258-6345
Fax: (609) 258-3385
© Princeton University Library
Copyright infringement reports