Saturday December 07, 2013
Support Team Summer Information - 2012
Dear Support Team Member,
We hope youâ€™re having a fantastic summer and that youâ€™re already getting excited about Frosh Trip! This letter should explain everything you need to know to be a part of FT 2012. Since weâ€™ve received applications from over 700 members of the Class of 2016, we are counting on YOU to come back to help. We have accepted freshmen based on your commitment to be here. Cancellations are accepted for medical reasons only. If you have any questions, call us at 609-258-6230.
Support team plays a critical role for such a large programâ€”over 1,000 people spread over 8 states. As a support staff member in the field stationed close to the trips, you will resupply trips with equipment, water, etc.; shuttle groups in case of changes in the trail, and transport any participants that need to be evacuated. Since trip assignments are still being finalized, you will find out your specific area of service when you return. OA will cover all your lodging and food expenses for the week. Youâ€™ll be driving a mini-van with a satellite cell phone so we can reach you at any time. Most Support Teams will be staying in motels, but a few will be stationed here in Princeton and a few will be staying up at the Princeton-Blairstown Center.
ARRIVAL & MEALS: You should arrive on Wednesday, August 29. OA Check-in is at 5:00 PM at Dillon Gym. If you are unable to arrive by 5:00 PM on Wednesday, August 29 you can arrive on Tuesday, August 28.
The Housing Office will be open 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM on Wednesday, August 29 for you to sign your housing contract and pick up your room key. Please arrive during Housing Open Hours. If you arrive after 4:30 PM, go to Public Safety at 200 Elm Drive. They can let you into your room but cannot give you a key. Come to Dillon Gym at 5:00 PM on Wednesday and youâ€™ll receive your trip packet and instructions.You will be given your area assignment and the detailed schedule for pre-trip training when you arrive. Command Center meals will be provided during pre-trip starting with dinner on Wednesday, August 29.
STORAGE: If you stored items at the end of the school that you will need for FT in the Early Arrivals Storage area in Gauss youâ€™ll be able to get in on Wednesday, August 29.
EQUIPMENT DISCOUNT: One of the perks of working for OA is access to equipment discounts that we negotiate for incoming freshmen. Weâ€™ve set up a special discount for with Eastern Mountain Sports (EMS). The discount applies only to purchases made online at the EMS website (www.ems.com), and is effective from July 15 to August 30. The discount entitles you to a 15 percent discount on anything available online and a special 30 percent discount on particular items that weâ€™ve identified. These items are listed on the online Equipment List. Get your discount coupon code and see the list of specified 30 percent discount items by logging into the Frosh Trip Equipment Web page at https://oa.princeton.edu/applications/ft/support/summer.aspx.
ACTIVITY SCHEDULE: There is an incredible amount of work to do in the four days leading up to the trip, and Support Teams are a crucial part of this preparation. You will receive a briefing on your area and Support Team duties, as well as help with equipment and food distribution. You will be very busy from Wednesday when you check in through Sunday morning when the trips departâ€”we canâ€™t run Frosh Trip without you! Below is a brief summary of what happens each day:
- WEDNESDAY 8/29, 5:00 PM CHECK-IN: At the check-in at Dillon, you will receive your Support Team assignment and your support packet that will include maps, area information, and the logistical plan for the week. Youâ€™ll also receive a detailed briefing of your responsibilities as a Support Team member.
- THURSDAY 8/30 - SATURDAY 9/1, PREPARATION: You will be given final briefings and help with frosh check-in and transportation of equipment and food.
- SUNDAY 9/2 - FRIDAY 9/7, FROSH TRIP: During the week of Frosh Trip, Support Teams will be stationed near trip groups. There is one Support Team in a mini-van for each busload of groups (4 to 5 trips). You will handle water drops, equipment resupply, and transport for minor first aid evacuations (sprained ankles, blisters, etc.).
- FRIDAY 9/7, RETURN: You will meet each group at their pick-up points and, if necessary, help the bus navigate. Once all groups are on the bus, you should return to Princeton and report to the stadium, where Supprt check-in will occur.
- SATURDAY 9/8, RETURN VANS: On Saturday you will return your Support Van to the rental company near Quaker Bridge Mall.
- EMERGENCY NUMBERS: During the trip, all communication will go through the Command Center stationed at Princeton. In the event of an emergency, OA Director Rick Curtis will be reachable 24 hours a day.
If you have questions about anything, please feel free to contact the Frosh Trip Coordinators. We look forward to seeing you in September! We'll be sending email reminders out in August so watch for emails from OA. Have a wonderful summer!
The Frosh Trip 2012 Team
Leland Baldwin â€™14Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â
Bryant Jones â€™14Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â
Sachi Lake â€™12Â Â Â
Alex Peerman â€™12
Caroline Stone â€™14
Frosh Trip Coordinator
Program CoordinatorÂ Â Â Â Â
Rick Curtis â€™79