Orange Key Guide Service

 

History of the Frist Campus Center

The Frist Campus Center, designed by Robert Venturi '47 GS'50 of Venturi, Scott Brown & Associates, opened in September 2000. Frist was developed in and around the former Palmer Physical Laboratory, dedicated in 1908, which itself was famous for its modernity at the time. Many elements of the old structure were preserved and now complement the new one, creating a contrast between old and new that is visible but harmonious.

The campus center is named for the Frist family of Nashville, Tennessee, which has extensive ties to the University. Since 1970, five members of the family have attended Princeton, including Sen. William H. Frist '74 (former Senate majority leader), who has served on the Board of Trustees.

South side of Palmer Physical Laboratory, , early 20th century (Photo courtest Mudd Manuscript Library)
South side of Palmer Physical Laboratory,
early 20th century
(Courtesy Mudd Manuscript Library)

South side of Frist Campus Center, 2003 (Photo by Jacob Bregman '06)
South side of Frist Campus Center, 2003