The Frist Campus Center, designed by Robert Venturi '47 GS'50 of
Venturi, Scott Brown & Associates, opened in September 2000. Frist was
developed in and around the former Palmer Physical Laboratory, dedicated in
1908, which itself was famous for its modernity at the time. Many elements
of the old structure were preserved and now complement the new one,
creating a contrast between old and new that is visible but harmonious.
The campus center is named for the Frist family of Nashville, Tennessee,
which has extensive ties to the University. Since 1970, five members of the
family have attended Princeton, including Sen. William H. Frist '74 (former
Senate majority leader), who has served on the Board of Trustees.
South side of Palmer Physical Laboratory,
early 20th century
(Courtesy Mudd Manuscript
South side of Frist Campus Center, 2003