The FitzRandolph Gateway was erected in 1905. Until 1970,
the gates remained closed except for Commencement and Reunions.
After 1970, however, the gates were opened permanently as
a symbol of greater awareness of the world outside the University.
of tradition and superstition, many students refuse to walk out
the gates until graduation day, fearing they may not graduate
with their original class ... or at all.