The University Chapel was constructed from 1924 to 1928 at
a cost of $2,325,457. The
general plan is in the shape of a Latin Cross (cruciform). Different
features suggest various influences of the Gothic tradition,
making it impossible to designate the style as any particular
period of Gothic. Constructed of Pennsylvania sandstone with
Indiana limestone trim, the chapel seats almost 2,000 and is
270 feet long. The four-ton keystone over the crossing rises
the floor. The University Chapel is the third largest college
chapel in the world, behind the chapels at Valparaiso University,
Indiana, and at King's College in Cambridge, England. Here are
some other interesting chapel features:
- The oak pews are made from wood saved from Civil
War times; the wood was originally intended to make gun carriages.
- In the chancel where the choir and clergy
are seated for services, the wood for the pews came from Sherwood
England and took 100 people more than a year to carve.
- The chapel's stained glass collection
is among the most valuable in the Western Hemisphere. When
the chapel was renovated in
2002, much of the stained glass was sent to France for cleaning
- The chapel organ, renovated in 1990-91,
has 109 stops and 8,000 pipes.
- The Pulpit, brought from France, dates back to the middle
of the 16th century.
- The American flag that flew
over the Capitol in Washington during the first two years of
Woodrow Wilson's presidency is archived in the chapel.
To see more photos of the chapel, please click here.
(Adapted from An
Interactive Campus History and "Princeton
University: The Chapel"