Orange Key Guide Service
Einstein at Princeton

Albert Einstein with Princeton physics department members (Photo courtesy of Mudd Manuscript Library)
Albert Einstein (third from right) with Princeton physics department members c.1935
(Courtesy Mudd Manuscript Library)

 

Albert Einstein began his relationship with the University in 1921, when he visited Princeton to receive an honorary degree and to lecture about his theory of relativity. At that time, the University was a major center for the study of theoretical physics. Einstein moved to Princeton Township in 1933, where he lived until his death in 1955.

While living in Princeton, Einstein worked at the newly founded Institute for Advanced Study. Though the Institute is independent of the University, its original offices were located on Princeton's campus. As such, from 1933 to 1939, Einstein's office was 109 Fine Hall (now Jones Hall) and he also conducted work in the Palmer Physics Laboratory (now the Frist Campus Center). Though he was never a member of Princeton's faculty, Einstein led a University seminar on the mathematics of relativity and often helped students with math problems.

(Adapted from A Princeton Companion.)