April 18, 2001: Memorials


Bill was born July 30, 1910, in Brooklyn and died Dec. 23, 2000, at Fellowship Village in Basking Ridge, N.J. For a large portion of his life, he was a resident of the Convent Station section of Morris Township, N.J., before moving to Fellowship Village in 1999.

He prepared at Staten Island Academy and, at Princeton, became a member of Phi Beta Kappa, the pistol team, was a news editor for the Daily Princetonian, an editorial writer and assistant photographer for the Bric-a-Brac, and a member of Court Club.

Bill's career in publishing began with an assistant editorship at Macmillan's, followed by a year as managing editor of the American Mercury. In 1941 he joined E. P. Dutton, book publishers, where he ended up a senior editor, publishing hundreds of books. He also earned an MA from Princeton and from Harvard in 1939. During WWII he served for three years in the overseas branch of the office of war information, and in 1933-34 was a news editor and correspondent in the psychological warfare branch of the Army in Africa, Italy, and France.

Bill's wife, Anne Homer, died in 1995. Surviving are three sons, Jonathan Warner, William, and Thomas, and two daughters, Anne Bishop and Katherine, 10 grandchildren, and five great-grandchildren. The class extends its sympathy to the entire family.

The Class of 1965

James Watt Laughlin '34

Jim Laughlin, a former foreign exchange specialist and foreign financial analyst with E.I. du Pont de Nemours, in Wilmington, Del., died Feb. 9, 2001. For the past decade he lived near Syracuse, to be near his daughter and her family.

One of the "highlights" of his life, Jim once wrote, was "participation in an interest of both my children," namely, competitive swimming. He formerly represented the Wilmington Swim Club as a member of the Philadelphia Swimming Directors Society and the AAU. Jim was also an active hiker in retirement and joined the Wilmington Trail Club on trips to England and Wales to the Mosel Valley, the Black Forest, the Tirol, and the Vienna Woods, in Europe.

Jim's wife, Grace Covey, a 1933 graduate of Middlebury, died in 1980 of cancer. Surviving are his daughter, Rebecca Jackson-Laughlin, a son, Jay B., and four grandchildren.

The Class of 1934


Dick died on May 4 in Minneapolis at the age of 87. Born in Minot, N.Dak., he prepared for Old Nassau at the Blake School in Minneapolis, where he was a member of the French Club, the dramatic association, and graduated cum laude. At Princeton he majored in psychology and belonged to Court Club. Next stop, Harvard law, from which he graduated in 1938.

During WWII, Dick served as an Army captain in North Africa, Italy, southern France, and Germany. He then returned to Minneapolis, where he became a partner in the law firm of Nieman, Bosard, and Arthur.

Although Dick maintained little contact with Princeton or the Class of '35 in the last decades of his life, we did reach him by phone in Mar. 2000, shortly before his death. Life had been good to him, he recalled, including his years on the Princeton campus. He left no survivors.

The Class of 1935


Born in Staten Island, N.Y., son of Philip Wildes Carney 1902, Ed died at Lawrence Memorial Hospital, Medford, Mass., on Apr. 4, 2000, a month before his 87th birthday. He prepared for Princeton at Port Richmond H.S., where he was a sports manager and a magazine editor. At Princeton he majored in modern languages, winning second group honors junior year, and was an enthusiastic member of the Whig Hall debating panel. He also served as secretary of Terrace Club.

Ed studied at Columbia U.'s law school from Sept. 1935 to May 1938. Then, for some years the class lost track of him. Later, we discovered he had served with the Army Air Force in counter intelligence during WWII, returning to civilian life in 1946. He settled in Medford.

For the next several decades, Ed worked for an insurance company in Medford, rising to the post of general manager. Upon retirement he spent another 10 years or so employed in the offices of Albert Shaw, a well-known Medford attorney. He never married. His only survivor is his sister, Ethel B. Carney.

The Class of 1935


Jim Marks died in his native state of Pennsylvania on Aug. 30, 2000. Born in Edgeworth, Pa., he prepared for Princeton at Shady Side Academy, where golf, baseball, and track consumed most of his time outside the classroom. At Princeton he majored in psychology, was a lacrosse team manager, and vice president of Campus Club. Then it was back to Pittsburgh, marriage to Elizabeth "Betsy" Dunsford, and a starting ("cadet engineer") job with at the Equitable Gas Co. He spent his entire working career there, save time off with the Army Artillery during WWII. He served in Europe and attained the rank of colonel. Postwar, after returning to Pittsburgh, Jim continued a reserve association with the military well into the 1950s.

Betsy died in 1977. Jim, who was then Equitable's executive vice president, decided it was time to retire and take up golf seriously. He moved to Vero Beach and joined the country club there. "It's a great spot," he used to say. "Boating, swimming, and golf, are accessible; volunteer work is needed at a local community hospital; and winter '35 class reunions are held nearby." Jim leaves his sons, James Jr. and William, a daughter, Janet (Mrs. G. Scott Baton '58), eight grandchildren (including Elizabeth M. Baton '86), 10 great-grandchildren, and his older brother, Lewis H. Marks '37.

The Class of 1935


Jack Patterson, born in Roanoke, N.C., raised in Richmond, Va., and graduated from the Gilman School before attending Princeton, died in Richmond on Sept. 15, 2000. So far, a path not that dissimilar from others in '35. But then Jack's life path changed. "He married medicine when he left Princeton, says his sister, Elizabeth P. Williams, his closest survivor. "He never thought of anything else in his entire life."

Jack received his MD from Virginia Commonwealth U.'s medical college in 1939, did his residency at Johns Hopkins, and became a research fellow at the U. of Virginia. Next came a stint in the Navy, where he did early space research, and time on the faculty of Emory U.'s medical school. In 1953, Jack went back to Richmond to join the MCV faculty.

His mind and boundless energy flourished there. Early on, his studies ranged from the cardiorespiratory physiology of giraffes to a new approach to treating human head injuries. He founded both MCV's cardiopulmonary laboratories and research division and set up its respiratory therapy facility and intensive care unit. In later years he focused on the genesis of breath sounds and quantitative sound analysis. "He received many honors, opened up whole new avenues in pulmonary research," says Dr. Edith Hardie, his longtime lab assistant.

The Class of 1935


Born in Morgantown, W.Va., May 22, 1912, "Moon" died July 18, 2000, in Asheboro, N.C. He was 88.

He prepared for Princeton at Phillips Exeter Academy, where he was on the track team, football and basketball squads, and was a member of the dramatic society. At Princeton he majored in French, was on the freshman football squad, the varsity track squad, and was a member of Charter Club. All four years at Princeton he roomed with Walter "Doc" Parmalee, also an Exeter graduate, a varsity boxer, and manager of Charter, where both men lived during senior year.

"Moon and Doc agreed on almost everything except the weather," recalls one classmate. Doc loved the cold. He could hardly wait to get back to the wind and snow of his native Maine. Moon headed straight south after graduation. He settled in High Point, N.C., married Joanne Hanger on March 19, 1938, and lived there for 55 years. Much of this time he worked in sales for James Lee & Sons Co., a carpet manufacturer, and sought to improve his golf game. For the last decade before retirement, he switched to the employ of George T. Wood & Sons, a family company.

About 1990 the Woods moved to Asheboro. In addition to Joanne, Joe leaves two daughters and two grandsons.

The Class of 1935

H. Vinton Coes '36

Vint, 87, died at home in Sussex, N.J., on Jan. 28, 2001. A graduate of Montclair [N.J.] H.S., at Princeton he majored in biology. In 1941 he received his MD from Columbia's College of Physicians and Surgeons.

During WWII he served almost five years in the Navy Medical Corps attaining the rank of lieutenant-commander. During the years 1943-44, he was assigned to amphibious units during the invasions of Sicily, plus Salerno and Anzio in Italy. He was awarded four Battle Stars.

In the late 1940s, Vint moved to Sussex, where he established a successful family practice focusing on obstetrics. In 1967 he volunteered to serve as a civilian physician treating civilians under a USAID program in Vietnam. Then, in 1969, he volunteered as a Peace Corps physician for two years in Liberia. From 1971-83 he returned to his general practice at home and then spent a few years as a volunteer physician at a local school.

During his busy career he was active in several New Jersey organizations and was honored by the American Medical Assn. and the Sussex County Medical Society.

Vint is survived by his wife, Eleanor Gies Coes, whom he married in 1941, sons Donald V., Alan H., and David R., a daughter, Mary E., and nine grandchildren.

The Class of 1936

Samuel Boyer Davis '36

"Bogey" died Nov. 6, 2000. He prepared at St. Mark's School. At Princeton he majored in political science and was a member of Cottage Club. He later received an MAT from Harvard. His father, S. Boyer Davis was a member of the Class of 1886.

In 1941 he joined the Navy during WWII as an ensign. He was trained to be an armed guard commander. He served on three ships in both the Atlantic and Pacific theaters. He was honorably discharged in 1946 as a lieutenant.

Bogey embarked on a remarkable career reflecting his many talents. Before the war he taught at the Lenox School and spent summers running his Camp Kipawa, a boys canoeing camp on the Ottawa River in Quebec. After his military service he operated a pack station in the High Sierras, raised cattle in the foothills near Dunlop, Calif., and for two years was principal of a two-room elementary school. Next he became business manager, history teacher, and baseball coach at the Cate School in Carpinteria, Calif. In 1976 he retired to his avocado and lemon grass groves in Summerland, Calif.

He is survived by his wife, Janet Westbrook Davis, whom he married in 1938, sons S. Boyer III, Michael H. '66, and Donald W., and three grandchildren.

The Class of 1936

Israel Wistar Morris Jr. '36

Wistar died Sept. 23, 2000, at his home in Villanova, Pa. After graduating from the Kent School, at Princeton he majored in history and was vice president of Colonial Club. He attended the U. of Pennsylvania law school from 1936-39. He then started a long career with the Sun Oil Co.

During WWII in Jan. 1941, he was called to military service by the Pennsylvania National Guard. He studied the Chinese language at Yale U. and in 1944 was sent to China and assigned to the China theater headquarters. He was honorably discharged in 1946 as a lieutenant-colonel. He was awarded the Bronze Star.

In 1978 he and his wife, Gerda, were invited by the Chinese government for a red-carpet trip to that country. In 1981 they took a trip to Tibet, and in 1983 they traveled the "Silk Road" in China.

Wistar's hobbies included gardening, travel, photography, and music. His first wife, Eleanor Pew, died in 1966. He is survived by his wife, Gerda Haller, formerly of Berlin, a son, I. Wistar III, daughters Nancy M. Farry, Mary M. Lane, Eleanor M. Smith, Doreen M. Torrance, and Sandra M. Czapla, and nine grandchildren.

The Class of 1936

Jonathan Slocum '36

Johnny died Dec. 29, 2000. A graduate of the Gunnery School, at Princeton he majored in history and was a member of Colonial Club. After Princeton he graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia U.

During WWII he served for three years, the last two of which he was a captain in the Army Air Force.

After the war until his retirement in 1984, he was the former owner and director of Craig House, an internationally-known private psychiatric hospital in Beacon, N.Y. It was founded in 1915 by his father, Clarence Jonathan Slocum MD.

Johnny had an encyclopedic knowledge of horticulture. He was an avid hunter and fly fisherman who tied his own flies. He was also an excellent golfer. He was a member of the Anglers Club of NYC, the first male member of the Tioronda Garden Club, director of the Howland Center, a member of the American Psychiatric Assn., Beacon Historical Society, and the Natl. Assn. of Private Psychiatric Hospitals.

In 1938 he married George-Ann Jackson, who died in 1995. He is survived by sons Jonathan J., James J. '67, a daughter, Julie H. Dahlgren, a grandson, David Slocum, a granddaughter, Tess Dahlgren, and a great-grandson, Bradley Slocum.

The Class of 1936

William Henry Lippitt '39

Bill died Dec. 8, 2000, at Candler Hospital in Savannah, where he had practiced general surgery for 35 years before he retired in 1982. After earning his MD at Johns Hopkins, he became a fellow in surgery at Lahey Clinic in Boston. During WWII, Bill served in the Army Medical Corps and was a captain when he returned to private practice. Through the years he was a member of countless medical and surgical associations in Georgia and the southeast. In 1972 he was president of the Georgia chapter of the American College of Surgeons and the Georgia Medical Society and in 1982 was president of the Southern Society of Clinical Surgeons. He volunteered with Project Hope in 1973, carrying much needed medical assistance to Brazil. And he remembered, with special pleasure, helping host our 1977 class southern trip during their stay in Savannah.

Bill is survived by his wife, Nell McBride, and by five children of his first marriage, to Theodora Finney, who died in 1973. A stepdaughter, stepson, and 16 grandchildren also survive. To them all we offer our profound sympathy.

The Class of 1939


Grey died Sept. 21, 2000, of colon cancer at the age of 80.

A Media, Pa., native, he graduated from Episcopal Academy in 1939 before attending Princeton. A fourth-generation Princetonian, he majored in economics and was a member of Cannon Club.

Grey's business career was varied and distinguished. Past president of the Philadelphia Stock Exchange, he served as partner of Dayton, Kahn Heppe & Co. and earlier as managing partner of Elkins, Morris, Stroud. He enjoyed membership in many of the city's most prestigious clubs, including the Merion Cricket Club, the Racquet Club, and the Rittenhouse Club.

During WWII, Grey earned a Bronze Star with three clusters for service in Italy with the famed 10th Mountain Division.

Grey is survived by his wife of 57 years, the former Frances Imbrie, a daughter, Alice S., two sons, Samuel G. III and Dr. Andrew I. '72, and four grandchildren. To the entire family, we offer our deepest and most heartfelt condolences.

The Class of 1943

LAIRD U. PARK jr. '44

Laird died Jan. 14, 2001, in Philadelphia. He leaves his wife of almost 50 years, Lucy, four daughters, and six grandchildren.

Coming from The Hill, Laird was on freshman crew and captained the varsity. Majoring in mechanical engineering, he was president of Colonial Club. He roomed with George Wadsworth until he enlisted in the Navy in 1943, serving on a destroyer escort in the Pacific, achieving the rank of ensign. He returned to Princeton to get his degree in economics in 1947.

Laird started his career with Smith, Kline and French, then rose to the presidency of Troemer, Inc., a manufacturer of laboratory apparatus. He was active in Eisenhower's 1953 campaign and served with the Red Cross and the United Fund. He was a board member of the Independence Seaport Museum and the Library Co. of Philadelphia.

He collected Americana and traveled and read widely. He never missed a major reunion and attended 11 others, as well. Always easy to spot at six feet, five inches tall, we shall miss his friendly demeanor, his keen sense of humor, and his love of Princeton. With his family, we deeply share his loss.

The Class of 1944


In our 50th yearbook, Tom noted that he had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease; he dealt with it until he died in Ormond Beach, Fla., on Dec. 4, 2000.

President of his class at Windber H.S. in Pennsylvania, Tom majored in politics at Princeton until he enlisted in the Air Corps in Feb. 1942; he retired from the Air Force in 1967 with the rank of lieutenant-colonel. A flight instructor during WWII, he was assigned to the Pentagon and then earned three Battle Stars as a captain in Korea; he spent six years in Japan.

He married Betty Eldredge in 1953 and got his BA at the U. of Maryland and a master's at Pittsburgh. They moved to Ormond Beach in 1967, where he taught for almost 20 years at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical U. and served as an academic dean.

Tom and Betty were avid golfers and tennis players and traveled widely in retirement To Betty and their children, Pam, Elizabeth, Tom W., and David, and to his grandchildren, the class extends deep sympathy.

The Class of 1944


Bill Malloy died Nov. 4, 2000, at his home in Cheraw, S.C. "Duke" entered Princeton from Woodberry Forrest, having resided in Cheraw all of his life. At Princeton he became a member of the Tower Club, but the Navy sent him to Cornell, from which he received his degree. He then returned to Cheraw to enter the family business and married the former Marion Plowden in 1947. By 1963, Duke had taken over as president of the Cheraw Cotton Mills. Throughout his life Duke was active in many civic endeavors, including the Kiwanis Club and the Chamber of Commerce. Within the Presbyterian Church he became an elder and a commissioner to its general assembly. Duke and Marion divorced in 1971, and in 1977 he married the former Shirley Kennedy, who predeceased him. Duke is survived by his son, William Jr., and three daughters, Marion M. Murphy, Margaret M. Sanders, and Mary M. Blackburn, all by Marion, and by three stepchildren, nine grandchildren, and one great-grandchild, plus his brother, Edwin Jr. The class extends its sympathy to all.

The Class of 1945

Louis Dejonge Methfessel '48

The class has lost a constant and stalwart tower of strength and goodness with the death of Lou Methfessel on Jan. 1, 2001. From our undergraduate days to the day of his death, Lou deeply cherished Princeton and his classmates. He was our president from 1946-48, currently served as coclass agent, and had agreed to chair our 53rd reunion in June. A heart attack in NYC has taken this respected and revered friend from us.

Lou came to Princeton with the Pingry contingent and graduated with a degree in political science. He was a member of Cottage and of the Undergraduate Council and played varsity soccer and tennis. He went on to the Rutgers business school and later the Wharton School. His business career was marketing related. For many years he was with American Olean Tile. His civic activities were numerous. He enjoyed tennis and golf.

The love of his life was the fair Joan. She and Lou were married in 1951 and had the happiest of lives together until she died in Aug. 1998. They produced a daughter and two sons.

To Ty, Gary, and Holly, the class shares in their loss and sorrow. We are grateful for the life of a noble friend.

The Class of 1948

Arthur Jewel Wilson Jr. '48

Chicago native "Pete" Wilson was not active in class affairs but had great loyalty to Princeton over the years. He did return for our 50th reunion. Pete first attended Morris Brown U. in Atlanta and then Southern U. in Baton Rouge, where he played on the black college national champion basketball team.

At Princeton, Pete, one of our first black undergraduates, captained the basketball team, played 150 lb. football, and ran track. He was in Prospect and graduated in June 1947 in economics.

Pete's career was in local and federal law enforcement. He was appointed US marshal for the eastern district of Illinois by Pres. Gerald Ford. He received a special commendation for outstanding service in 1976. After he retired from the US Marshals Service, he served as director of public safety and chief of police for East St. Louis, Ill.

Pete died of a massive stroke on Dec. 28 at age 77.

He is survived by his widow, Marcella, daughter Leslie, son Jewel, and seven grandchildren. The class is the poorer at the death of an accomplished, courageous man who was a fine scholar and gifted athlete.

The Class of 1948


Cul Smith died of spinal cancer on Dec. 26, 2000, in Palm Desert, Calif., the Smiths' winter home.

He was a native of Spokane and came to Princeton from Gonzaga Prep. At Princeton, Cul majored summa cum laude in history, was a member of Dial Lodge, Orange Key, the Memorial Fund, and Undergraduate Schools committees. Many of us will remember him as a ferocious tackle on our undefeated 1950 football team, which won the Lambert Trophy and was number eight in the United Press national gridiron poll.

Cul was a Navy lieutenant in the Korean conflict. Afterwards he joined the investment firm of Blyth & Co. in Spokane as an investment counselor, then as a corporate officer with Kidder, Peabody there.

Cul was a member of several civic and community organizations, particularly those involved with athletics and education. His interests included family and fly fishing. Of the latter, his wife, Jane, writes about a trip before Cul's death, "We were on a fishing trip to the Big Hole in Montana, and he fished circles around everyone."

In addition to Jane, Cul is survived by sons Tighe and Christopher, daughters Hilary and Deidre, brothers Whitney and Michael, sister Frances, and eight grandchildren.

The class will miss such a vibrant member.

The Class of 1951


"Gutie" died of complications of pneumonia on Jan. 25, 2001.

He came to Princeton from Milwaukee Country Day School, majored in economics, and joined Tower Club. His roommates were Ralph Baer, Charlie Bourne, and Dick Smith.

After graduation, Gutie served in the Army and then joined the family business, presently the Milwaukee Tool and Equipment Co., where he advanced to president and remained active until his death. He took special pride as chair of the board of St. Coletta School for cognitively disabled children in Jefferson, Wis., and promoted numerous fundraising events.

Gutie had an insatiable zest for life. He was intensely loyal, generous, and energizing to his innumerable friends. His laughter was contagious. He particularly enjoyed his home on Pewaukee Lake. Water sports, gardening, and restful afternoons on his columned porch overlooking the lake occupied his leisure time. Traveling was a family favorite. Wisconsin Badger and Green Bay Packer football games were frequent outings every fall.

Gutie was most of all the consummate family man. He is survived by his wife of 36 years, Dodie, a daughter, Heidi Clotilde, a son, George Jeck, and two brothers, John and Charlie '50. To them, the class extends its heartfelt sympathy.

The Class of 1955

Francis X. Matt II '55

The death of F. X. Matt II on Jan. 15, 2001, of complications from a stroke, was a profound loss not only to his family and friends but to the entire city of Utica, N.Y. As a businessman, F. X. kept alive and independent the brewery his grandfather had founded and his father had run before him. As a civic leader he chaired numerous boards and sat on many more than this brief notice has room to list. To be with him at the finish line of the Boilermaker Road Race, which was cosponsored by the brewery, was to bask in reflected celebrity.

But he was still the F. X. his classmates knew: diligent and genial, humorous and stubborn. At Princeton he majored in humanities and joined Dial Lodge. Afterward he spent two years in the Army and considered becoming a teacher before going to work in the family business. Recently he did teach an English course at a local college. He continued to read voraciously; he loved opera, and, as always, he was great company.

Our deepest sympathy goes to his wife, Duff, their children, F. X., Fred, Will, Peter, Charlie, and Libby, and all their extended family.

The Class of 1955

Joseph Kieffer Myers Jr. '55

Joe Myers died Aug. 31, 2000, of emphysema at his home in Jamesville, N.Y.

Joe was born and reared in Akron, Ohio, and graduated from Western Reserve Academy. At Princeton he majored in chemistry and joined Tower Club. He excelled at track, was team captain our senior year, and held the quarter-mile record for many years. He also played IAA touch football and billiards. His roommates included Bill Burks and Cal Edgar. J. K.'s loyalty and competitiveness are remembered fondly by those who knew him.

Joe attended Columbia P&S and continued his medical training at SUNY's Upstate Medical Center, where he completed his residency and spent a year in research. He practiced general and vascular surgery in Syracuse for 30 years, retiring in 1995. Joe was an attending surgeon at Community and Crouse Hospitals and a clinical professor at SUNY. He was a fellow of the American College of Surgeons and was active over the years with numerous medical-related organizations at both local and state levels.

Joe is survived by his wife, Sarah, daughters Elizabeth Brakely and Barbara Buckley, sons John B. '89 and Joseph K. III '80, and 10 grandchildren. To all of them the class extends its deep sympathy.

The Class of 1955

Marshall Esty Denkinger '56

Esty died of a heart attack on Sept. 15, 2000, while he and his wife, Betty, were touring northern Spain with a group of '56 classmates and their wives.

At Princeton Esty joined Quadrangle Club, sang in the chapel choir, and majored in English. He received his master of divinity from Virginia Theological Seminary in 1959 and, until 1972, served in the parish ministry of Episcopal churches in New Jersey, Indiana, and Missouri. For the next 10 years, he was the owner/operator of a farm in Vermont, as well as serving as the developer and managing partner of a low-income housing program for the rural elderly and handicapped. From 1982-89 Esty was a management and marketing consultant in NYC as well as the president and director of a nonprofit group (Ecumenical Community Development Organization) bringing affordable housing to the West Harlem area. Starting in 1989 he served as interim rector in eight churches, the most recent being St. Paul's Parish, Kent, in Chestertown, Md., where a service celebrating Esty's life was held on All Saints Sunday, Nov. 5. Our class was represented by Scott Conover, Bob Hudnut, Matt Perry, Bob Rodgers, Bud Updike, and their wives. Bob H. delivered the homily; Scott and Bob R. read the lessons.

Esty is survived by his wife, Mary Elizabeth ("Betty"), four children, Mary '79, Marshall '81, Thomas, and Eric, and four grandchildren. The class extends its deep sympathy to each of them.

The Class of 1956


Charlie, "Kie" as many called him, died at age 66 in Boston on Dec. 28, 2000, as a result of complications following several brain operations.

Charlie graduated from Darrow School, where he was class vice president and cocaptain of the football team. At Princeton he majored in history and was an active member and treasurer of Tower Club. Subsequently, a two-year Hawaii teaching sojourn turned into a 39-year career at the Punahou School. Upon retirement in 1998, Kie was given the Old School Award, Punahou's highest honor, for outstanding service, and a $175,000 scholarship fund was established in his and his wife's names.

Married to Gail Miller in 1957, Charlie is survived by Gail, daughters Raelin Knox and Sarah Ball, son Charles III, six grandchildren, and his brother, Allan.

Possessing an inquisitive and remarkably retentive mind, Charlie was a fount of baseball and other trivia and had successful television quiz-show appearances. Also a rotisserie baseball league member and a marathon runner, he pursued life with integrity, resilience, courage, and good-humored enthusiasm. Loving husband and father, caring teacher and advisrr, generous, unpretentious, and upbeat friend, Charlie will be missed. The class extends its heartfelt sympathy to his family and many friends.

The Class of 1957

Graduate Deaths

Donald W. Collier *44 *43

Donald died Dec. 28, 2000, at age 80 of prostate cancer at his home in Chicago. Don, who received his doctorate in physical chemistry and chemical engineering at Princeton, enjoyed a long and distinguished career that included 23 years with Borg-Warner Corp., where he started as vice president of research and rose to become senior vice president of corporate strategy. During his tenure as vice president of research, the company developed 18 major technological innovations that led to successful new product lines. As senior vice president of corporate strategy, he introduced strategic planning that led the company to achieve unprecedented earnings growth.

Don's career began with the Sharples Corp. He later worked at the McGraw-Edison Co. After his retirement from Borg-Warner, Don played a key role in developing breath-analyzed ignition interlock systems that are mandated by courts in the US and Canada to deter drunk driving.

Don was an active member of numerous organizations and advisory groups, including the American Assn. for the Advancement of Science, of which he was past president.

Don, who was one of the first graduate students in chemical engineering, is remembered as a quiet and kind man of great patience and meticulous attention to detail who gave generously of his time and energy to the Graduate School and Princeton. He is survived by his two children, Paul Collier and Kathryn Collier Lemmer, and four grandchildren.

James J. Kramer *74, Woodrow Wilson School, Jan. 4, 2001

Cheng Liao *97, Computer Science, Jan. 1, 2001

James P. Geiss *79, East Asian Studies, Dec. 19, 2000

Gerald E. Aylmer *51, History, Dec. 17, 2000

John Francis McElhenny *60, Civil Engineering, Dec. 10, 2000

Franklin E. Perkins Jr. *31, English, Dec. 7, 2000

Isaac Thomas *55, Music, Nov. 26, 2000

Gerald Alan Soffen *60, Biology, Nov. 22, 2000

David Eugene Belmont *62, Classics, Nov. 17, 2000

Charles Thomas Mark *70, English, Nov. 16, 2000

Alexander Welch Morrison *42, Psychology, Oct. 11, 2000

Ann Flaig DuLaney *76, Woodrow Wilson School, Aug. 3, 2000

Charles M. Farbstein *67, Woodrow Wilson School, Apr. 1, 2000

Ronald Laird Cherry *61, Economics and Sociology, Mar. 19, 2000

Nallamotu J. C. Vasantkumar *78, Sociology, Jan. 28, 2000