December 5, 2001: Memorials


Warren died Jan. 4, 2001. He was 89.

He was a brilliant student, graduating as the top male student from Grand Rapids Central HS, summa cum laude from Princeton, and Order of the Coif from U. of Mich. Law School (1935). At Princeton he was a member of Court Club, debate team, band, and Delta Sigma Rho.

During WWII, he served in the Air Force from 1942-46, primarily in London.

He joined the Cleveland law firm of Baker, Hostetler and Patterson in 1935, and closed his office at Baker on the Cleveland Indians’ Opening Day, 1998. An expert in baseball, antitrust, and constitutional law, three of his cases went to the Supreme Court.

He delighted in sports competition. In listing his greatest accomplishments in our 50th yearbook, he stated, “My marriage to Mavis Berry; our three sons; my three Supreme Court cases; and being ranked fourth in Western Father and Son Doubles.”

He is survived by Mavis, his wife of 59 years; three sons, G. Warren Jr. ’65, Robert, and Charles ’74; seven grandchildren; and two siblings, J. Dewey and Elizabeth Davidson, to whom the class sends sincere condolences.

The Class of 1932



Al died in San Rafael, Calif., on June 5, 2001. Born in Portland, Oreg., he attended Grant HS before entering Princeton. In college Al was in the School of Public and International Affairs, an active member of Whig-Clio, a member of the Veterans of Future Wars, head of the Banner Agency, president of Gateway Club; he roomed with Paul Douglas.

Entering the Marine Corps in 1942, he served in the Pacific, rose to the rank of captain, led joint assault signal units around and behind Japanese strongholds, was wounded, returned to active duty, and was awarded the Bronze Star at Okinawa. He was discharged in 1946.

After the war Al worked for El Dorado Trading Co., a coconut-oil firm in the Philippines, until the early 1950s. He then joined Caltex Petroleum, from which he retired in 1973. During his career, he held positions in Pakistan, India, Egypt, Indonesia, and Vietnam, often serving as country manager.

Al remained in the Marine Corps Reserve and retired as a colonel in 1968.

He is survived by his sister, Ruth G. Smith, and three nephews, Kirk, Thad, and Mark Smith.

The Class of 1941



Bob died on July 25, 2001, of prostate cancer. He was 80. A long-time resident of Westport, Conn., Bob grew up in DC and Maryland. Later, he had homes in Vermont and Wailea, Hawaii.

While on campus, Bob was a politics major, captained the swim team, and managed Quadrangle Club and the Refreshment Agency. Another side of Bob’s multifaceted nature was his successful seizure of the clapper from the Nassau Hall bell with coconspirator Tom Hardie.

During WWII, Bob captained a Navy minesweeper in the Mediterranean and the Pacific.

Business-wise, Bob spent a fruitful 50-year career in the paper industry. He owned and acted as CEO of Paper Sales Corp. of Darien, Conn. His major hobbies were golf, sailing, and skiing.

Bob is survived by a brother, Harvey; sons, John, Robert Jr., and Jim; a daughter, Judy Pietsch; and six grandchildren. To the entire family, we extend our deepest and most heartfelt condolences.

The Class of 1943



Tom died on Mar. 16, 2000, of bone cancer. He was 73.

He prepared for Princeton at Hotchkiss and served in the Marine Corps from 1945-46 and again from 1951-53. At Princeton he majored in the Woodrow Wilson School and was a member of Cap and Gown Club and Orange Key. He later graduated from Harvard Law School.

Tom’s early work life was as vice president and general counsel at General Steel Industries. He moved to St. Louis in 1964 and joined Armstrong Teasdale L.L.P. and served as the chairman from 1983 until he retired in 1994. He was active in his community as president of the Ladue City Council and served on the Board of Governors of the American Red Cross. After a stroke, he and his wife, Frances, spent their winters in Florida.

He is survived by Frances and four daughters, Elizabeth R. McKay, Virginia R. Walsh, Georgia R. Martin, and Sarah R. Gerding. The class extends its deepest sympathy to all of them on the loss of this capable and caring man.

The Class of 1949



John, one of the oldest members of our class, was 80 when he died on Apr. 5, 2001, of cancer in Naples, Fla.

He came to Princeton as a married veteran with a DFC and several Air Medals for 64 missions flying a B-24 in the China-Burma-India theater during WWII. He once had to bail out behind enemy lines and barely escaped capture by the Japanese.

At Princeton he belonged to Quadrangle Club, majored in biology, and graduated with honors. He later earned an MBA from the U. of New Haven.

John worked as chief liaison engineer for Avco Manufacturing in Stratford, Conn., and as president of Yankee Engineering Services and Stratton Realty, both in Connecticut. He was the recipient of a Presidential Achievement Award in 1981. He belonged to the New York Athletic and Princeton Clubs and was active in many other organizations.

John is survived by his wife, Lucille Waterhouse Stratton, a daughter, Caryl Persson, four grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren. The class extends its sincere sympathy to them all on the loss of this valiant man.

The Class of 1949



Catherine died May 25, 2001, of breast cancer. A member of Campus Club and a biology major, Catherine graduated magna cum laude and received her MD from the U. of Tex. Southwestern Medical School.

After serving as chief medical resident, Catherine was appointed to the faculty of medicine at Columbia U. College of Physicians and Surgeons, where she conducted extensive research on cardiovascular disease and lipid disorders in diabetes.

Catherine was one of the founders of the Naomi Berrie Diabetes Center at Columbia Presbyterian and was associate director of the center, which was named one of three “Diabetes Centers of Excellence” in N.Y. She played a central role in educating and training fellows, residents, and medical students at Columbia.

For all her professional accomplishments, Catherine was proudest of her son, Hallam, to whom she gave her cheerful disposition, relentless curiosity, and strength of character. The courage, grace, and dignity with which she confronted her disease left a profound impression on all those around her. She will not be forgotten.

She is survived by her husband, Edward ’83, and her son, Robert Hallam. The class extends its deepest condolences to her family.

The Class of 1984

Current Issue    Online Archives    Printed Issue Archives
Advertising Info    Reader Services    Search    Contact PAW    Your Class Secretary