December 19, 2001: Memorials


Harry Blackiston died Aug. 23, 2001, at the Osborne Home in Rye, N.Y.
Harry was a native of Virginia and graduated from Episcopal HS in Alexandria, Va., in 1928. While at Princeton, he was a member of Ivy Club and played on the 150-lb. football team and the university’s first rugby team. He married Elizabeth Parker Nugent after graduation and went on to Harvard Law School, from which he graduated in 1935. After service in the Navy during WWII, Harry practiced law for more than 35 years in NYC, where he was a partner at Lord, Day & Lord. During this period he served as president of the Maritime Law Assn. of the U.S.
He retired in 1976 to Charlottesville, Va., where his wife died in 1980, and he remained there until he moved to Rye, N.Y., in 1999. Harry’s passions included Princeton, fly-fishing, and writing. He was the author of several books, including a memoir of his Virginia boyhood, Those Happy Years, published in 1986 by the Princeton U. Press. He is survived by two sons, Henry ’65 and Howland, as well as six grandchildren, to whom the class sends condolences.

The Class of 1932


Garret died Sept. 17, 2001. He was 91.

Garret lived in Scarsdale, N.Y., until his marriage to Cornelia Hadsell. Together they lived in New Canaan, Conn., then moved to Wilton, Conn., before retiring to Vermont: first in Woodstock, then at Wake Robin, a C.C.R.C. in Shelburne.

Garret graduated from Riverdale School and Princeton, where he belonged to Dial Lodge. He received an engineering degree at Princeton’s Graduate School. He spent his working life with Electrolux in Old Greenwich, Conn. Garret belonged to the American Institute of Electrical Engineers, the American Acoustical Society, and the American Assn. for the Advancement of Science. He also was a member of the Wilton Riding Club, the Woodstock Country Club, and the Round Table in Woodstock. He was a sailor, a member of the Norwalk Yacht Club, and taught courses in celestial navigation for the U.S. Power Squadron.

Surviving, besides his widow, are two sons, Garret III and Lawrence Harper, to all of whom the class extends its condolences.

The Class of 1932


Walt, who lived at Leisure World in Silver Spring, Md., died of emphysema on July 13, 2001. He was 87.

Born in Newton, Mass., he grew up in NYC and prepared for college at Taft in Watertown, Conn. After Princeton he attended MIT and earned a degree in chemical engineering. During WWII, Walt served on carriers in the Pacific and was discharged from the Navy with the rank of lieutenant commander.

After his return he founded the Marshall Moorman consulting firm in NYC. His work took him all over this country, Europe, South America, and Japan. After the death of Mr. Moorman, Walt moved business and home to his farm in Virginia, Laurel Grove, from where he continued his work.

A great-great-grandson of Chief Justice John Marshall, Walt was a music lover and supported the Washington Opera. His marriage to the former Dora Talcott ended in divorce. In 1956 he married Elisabeth Hoffmann in Salzburg, Austria, who

survives him.

The Class of 1934


Bill died Aug. 7, 2001, when complications from Alzheimer’s ended a lifetime of generous devotion of time and energy to charitable causes, in addition to his demanding career with the DuPont Co. from 1941-81. From his home base in Wilmington, Bill served in numerous national chemical associations and received the Industry Statesman Award in 1984. He was president of the Delaware Research Foundation, a trustee of Tower Hill School, a founder and trustee of Delaware Hospice and of the Delaware Curative Workshop. He was chairman of the board of Planned Parenthood, receiving the Margaret Sanger Volunteer Award in 1997. He served on the advisory committee of the Coalition for Choice.

But Princeton was always in his heart, and he worked tirelessly on its behalf. Our class president from 1954-59 and class agent from 1943-46, he also served the Alumni Council in many roles. A member of Christ Church for 53 years, he was a senior warden for 10 years. To Betty, his wife of 60 years and always his companion at our class gatherings, and their children, Elizabeth, William IV, and Barbara, six grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren, we offer our heartfelt sympathy.

The Class of 1939


Long a resident of West Hartford, Conn., Howie died at Hartford Hospital Aug. 7, 2001. Always a loyal Princetonian, he was a past president of the Princeton Assn. of Central Connecticut. His career began after Harvard Business School at Gleason Works, in Rochester, N.Y., as a machine-tool executive, a job that kept him traveling around the world. In 1966 he moved to West Hartford to work for the Pratt & Whitney Division of Colt Industries until 1970, when he joined Whitnon Spindle Co. of Farmington, retiring in 1984.

Having lettered on our varsity tennis team, he kept at it for years as a member of the Hartford Tennis Club. Until illness curtailed his activities he volunteered as a math tutor and in the English as a Second Language program, and he was an active member of Asylum Hill Congregational Church. Howie and Jean Jefferson were married in 1951. Jean recalls seating their son Keith, at the time aged five, on the Nassau Hall tigers, hoping he’d tilt in that direction. He did and graduated in 1975. Howie is also survived by daughters Catherine and Laura and by nine grandchildren. We extend to them our sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1939


Henry died July 10, 2001, in Vero Beach, Fla. A native of Princeton, he attended Princeton Country Day School and St. Paul’s School. His father was a member of the Class of 1909. At Princeton, Henry majored in geology, joined Ivy Club, and roomed with Ned Ross, Lanahan, Kilduff, Keep, K.B. Schley, Pitney, and Bright.

After entering the Army in 1942, he was discharged as a captain in the Air Corps in 1946. After the war, Henry went into corrugated container sales, first with the Mengel Co. and then with Container Corp. of America. He later started his own real estate business, first in Princeton and then in Bay Head, N.J. Always an avid sailor, he became commodore of the Mantoloking [N.J.] Yacht Club before moving to Vero Beach in 1984.

Henry is survived by his wife of 60 years, Anne Jeffreys Tomlinson; a son, Henry P. Jr.; three daughters, Melissa, Sarah Fuller w’68, and Anne; and six grandchildren.

The Class of 1941


Jim died Aug. 7, 2001, of heart failure in Wakefield, R.I.

He came to Princeton from Phillips Exeter Academy, was a member of Cap and Gown, and excelled in swimming and gymnastics. He left in 1943 to attend Pennsylvania Medical School and to serve in the Army.

Jim started at CIBA Pharmaceutical as a medical writer and later became director of public relations. In the early days of television he did a live-remote show for CBS, Medical Horizons, which won him a Sylvania Award.

After work in medical advertising in New York, he became director of public relations for Peter Bent Brigham Hospital and was involved in mergers that resulted in the Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston. In 1977 he moved to Rhode Island, where he had summered for many years, and developed a business in real estate appraisal there.

Jim is survived by his wife of 33 years, Patricia Kelsey Beattie; three children from a previous marriage, James, Sharon, and Shelby; and a granddaughter. The class extends its sincere sympathy to them.

The Class of 1944


Deaver died in San Antonio on July 10, 2001, after a long illness.

He entered Princeton from St. George’s, joined Colonial Club, and in 1947 received a medical degree from the U. of Penn. He then served as a captain and flight surgeon at the Brooks Air Force Base in San Antonio. Deaver was an associate professor of medicine at the U. of Penn. before establishing a practice as an internist. Deaver married the former Helen Kleberg of Texas. He and Helen had six children, one son and five daughters, but were divorced in 1966. Deaver raised the children on a small farm outside Coatesville, Pa., with activities centering around raising and riding horses. Deaver married the former Susanna Bolton Flood, who preceded him in death. He retired from medicine due to ill health and moved to Florida.

Deaver is survived by his six children, John D. Jr., Helen C., Emory A. Hamilton, Caroline A. Forgason, Henrietta A. George, and Dorothy A. Matz, and by eight grandchildren. The class expresses its deep sympathy to the family.

The Class of 1945


Pete died on July 15, 2001, at his home in Glenview, Ill.

He entered Princeton from New Trier HS, following his brother Daniel P. ’41. Pete’s Princeton career was interrupted by service as a fighter pilot with the Marines in the campaigns of Midway, Guam, and Okinawa, for which he received the Distinguished Flying Cross. Pete did not return to Princeton after the war and instead received a degree in journalism from Northwestern U.

He married Irene Overman in 1946 and joined the advertising firm of Batten, Barton, Durstine & Osborne in Chicago. Pete eventually formed his own advertising agency and retired in 1997.

Pete became nationally famous in 1962 when he founded an organization known as Radio Emergency Associated Citizens Teams (REACT), an organization of local volunteers who monitored Channel 9 on citizens’ band radios in order to assist local police, fire, and medical personnel during emergencies. Pete received from Pres. Reagan the President’s Volunteer Action Award in 1982.

In addition to Irene, Pete is survived by a brother, his daughter Linda Kreer-Witt, and two grandchildren. His daughter Laurene preceded him in death. The class expresses its deep sympathy to the family.

The Class of 1945


K. C. died on Feb. 23, 2001, at his home in Rahway, N.J. He was 78.

He came to Princeton after service as a captain and flight instructor during WWII. He left after two years to start his own firm, Andersen Sheet Metal Co. in Linden, N.J., where he worked until he retired.

He is survived by his wife of 57 years, Virginia, a daughter, Susan Andersen Freeman, a grandchild, and a great-grandchild. The class extends its condolences to them all.

The Class of 1949


Peter, a U. of South Fla. theater professor and director, died on Aug. 9, 2001, at his home in Tampa. The cause was respiratory failure.

Peter came to Princeton from the College of William and Mary. He majored in English and joined Key and Seal Club. He was active in Theatre Intime, Whig-Clio, Glee Club, and performed in two Triangle Club productions, Ham’n Legs and Keep It Small, when, in a memorable segment featured on the Ed Sullivan Show, the hefty 6'2" O’Sullivan appeared in drag on a swing wearing custom-made size 14AAA pink satin slippers.

After Princeton, Peter received his MA from the U. of N.C. and taught at Stephens College and the U. of Iowa. He arrived at South Florida in time to teach the charter theater class and remained for 38 years until he retired in June. He spent a sabbatical with the Royal Shakespeare Co. in England and was an exchange professor at the U. of Paris and U. of Santa Clara. Peter was a highly respected teacher who touched the lives of thousands of students.

Peter is survived by his wife, Keen, son Brian, daughter Megan, two grandchildren, brother Thomas, and sister Virginia.

The Class of 1955


Rick died of lung cancer at his home in Natick, Mass., on Aug. 4, 2001.

Born in NYC, Rick attended Kent School. He entered Princeton preceded by two generations of Princetonians: his father, Roderick S. ’31; both grandfathers, S. Hinman Bird ’06 and Edward A. Oakley ’07; and two uncles, Llewellyn E. Oakley ’31 and LaBar P. Hoagland ’39.

At Princeton, Rick roomed with Nick Hamilton, majored in English, and was a member of Dial Lodge.

Following graduation, he married Karen Melahn, entered Navy OCS, and served three years as an airborne combat information officer, operating out of Argentia, Newfoundland.

In 1963 Rick joined Acoustic Research, Inc., of Cambridge, Mass., as a service manager, moving in 1968 to the Michael Scott Co. of Wellesley, Mass., as an electronic manufacturer’s representative. In 1978 he and Karen opened Electric Gramophone, in Sudbury, Mass., the only totally classical record store in New England.

Rick is survived by Karen, his wife of 41 years; his children, John R., Douglas C., Kim H., and Laura O. Sullivan; and three grandsons, to all of whom the class extends its deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1959


Carlyn died in an automobile accident on Dec. 26, 2000, in Germany. She was 47.

Carlyn was born in NYC and was a graduate of the Chapin School. An architecture major at Princeton, she graduated summa cum laude and went on to pursue a master’s at the U. of Southern Calif., where she met her first husband, Peter Wohlfahrtstaetter. She moved with him to Austria in 1978. The marriage ended in divorce in 1984, and there were no children.

Carlyn married Kurt Heinz (Conrad) Schoenfelder in 1984. Conrad and Carlyn cofounded an architecture and engineering business, Schoenfelder Partners, in Groebenzell, Germany. Carlyn managed international projects in Europe, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Russia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, and Canada. She also held architecture seminars for one of the leading German banks. Conrad and Carlyn had three children, Catherine Eileen, Silke Edith, and Christopher Henry.

In 1987 Carlyn was a founding member of the Princeton Alumni Assn. of Germany, and she went on to serve as its vice president and Alumni Schools Committee chair.

Carlyn is survived by her husband and children, her parents, and her many friends.

The Class of 1975

Current Issue    Online Archives    Printed Issue Archives
Advertising Info    Reader Services    Search    Contact PAW    Your Class Secretary