April 24, 2002: Memorials

Richard T. Beebe ’24

Dr. Richard Beebe died July 28, 1998. He was 96. Born in Great Barrington, Mass., he was the son, nephew, and grandson of country doctors, and often accompanied his father on house calls. After graduating from Princeton, Beebe earned his medical degree at Johns Hopkins in 1928. In 1932 he began work at Albany [N.Y.] Medical College, where he worked for more than 60 years.

There, he helped set up departments in hematology, endocrinology, and cardiology, and oversaw the education of hundreds of physicians. He continued to make house calls until age 92 and maintained a small practice until his death. Among his many honors was the establishment of the Beebe Chair of Medicine at the Albany Medical Center.

An Albany newspaper wrote, “Because he was outspoken on the issue of money and medicine, Dr. Beebe earned his share of critics. However, his greatest contribution may have been his courage to shame people into doing more. Which is to say he was that rarest of healers: one who nurtured the best within us.” He is survived by his wife of 64 years, Jean, two daughters, a son, and six grandchildren.

The Class of 1924


Rosslyn T. Beatty ’29

Rusty died Dec. 15, 2001, of congestive heart failure. He was 96. Rusty prepared for Princeton at Lawrenceville. At Princeton he was on the track squad and a member of Cottage Club. After graduation, he worked for a few years in the family business in Chicago. During WWII, he managed a tin and lithium mine in South Dakota, which operated under Signal Corps contracts.

After the war, he became manager of L. J. McCormick real estate in Chicago. He managed several high-rises and formed partnerships that built office skyscrapers downtown. He headed the Chicago Real Estate Board, the Michigan Boulevard Assn., the Building Managers Assn., and the Realty Club of Chicago. His interest in skiing led him to develop Copper Mountain, which became one of Colorado’s premier resorts.

He is survived by his wife of 65 years, Janet; two daughters, Phoebe McMillan and Daisy Broudy; a son, Ross Jr.; a sister, and seven grandchildren. To all of them, the class extends its deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1929



Ed died Dec. 15, 2001, in Choccolocco, Ala. He prepared at New Trier HS and at Princeton was a member of Elm. He worked in the printing business for several years, then became a buyer for Marshall Field’s. In 1941 he entered the Army as a private and rose to captain before his discharge in 1946. A purchasing and contracting officer in the Fourth Service Command, he received a Commendation of Merit.

Ed then joined La Barge Furniture as designer and buyer. He also showed and raised saddlebred horses. Active with the Choccolocco Boy Scouts, he also grew blueberries, for which he was famous.

Ed’s nephew, two great-nieces, two great-nephews, and his caregiver, Sue Pugh, survive him. The class extends its deepest sympathy to all of them.

The Class of 1931



Newt died Nov. 6, 2001, in Sewickley, Pa. He was 92. He attended Shadyside Academy and Choate before Princeton. Following graduation he served in the Civilian Conservation Corps. He then joined Lee C. Moore Corp. until 1940, when he enlisted in the Army. He reached the rank of major before leaving the service in 1944. Newt returned to Moore, where he worked as a director and secretary until 1962. He then joined Marshall Stamping & Culvert Co. and finished his career as chair of Culverts, Inc.

Newt was president of the borough council, Republican Party Committee chair, and member of the Municipal Ambulance Authority. He was a member of the Harvard-Yale-Princeton Club, the Pittsburgh Club, the Duquesne Club, the Allegheny Country Club, the Edgeworth Club, and the Sewickley Hunt Club.

Surviving are his wife, Mariana, his daughter, Sally Levin, his son, William N., and two grandchildren. The class extends its deepest sympathy to the entire family.

The Class of 1931



Al died Oct. 24, 2001, at his son’s home in Woodbury, Conn. He was 91. He prepared at Plainfield [N.J.] HS and Exeter. At Princeton he was a member of Cloister Inn.

Al was a director of public relations in the Ninth Federal Savings & Loan Assn. of N.Y. He received an L.L.B. degree from St. Lawrence U. in 1938 and worked for Home Title Guaranty, Bankers Trust, and Franklin Savings.

Al was active in civic affairs in Plainfield, serving as commissioner of public housing, head of the Community Chest, a member of the city’s Republican Committee and a trustee of the United Family and Children’s Society. He was a trustee of the Plainfield Area Humane Society and Plainfield Historical Society and a member of the Plainfield Country Club and Phi Delta Phi.

Al was a devoted Princetonian and a very loyal class member. Later in life he moved to Princeton, then to Connecticut. Surviving are his two children and two grandchildren. The class extends its deepest sympathy to the family.

The Class of 1931



Bill died Sept. 25, 2001, in Washington, DC. He was 92. He prepared at the Friends School in DC and while at Princeton was a member of Tiger Inn.

Following graduation from Harvard Law School in 1934, he became an attorney for the Reconstruction Finance Corp. and the Federal Communications Commission. He was appointed assistant U.S. attorney for DC. From 1940-46, he served with the Navy’s submarine chasers in the Pacific, rising to the rank of lieutenant. He returned to the Department of Justice, where he remained as U.S. Attorney until he retired in 1967 at the age of 56.

A nephew and niece survive him. The class extends its sympathy to the family.

The Class of 1931



Norrie died Oct. 9, 2001, in NYC. He was 92. In his field, the Theater (said with a capital T) he was a giant.

He attended Shortridge HS in Indianapolis and at Princeton held a War Prize Scholarship, won the Class of 1870 Junior Prize in English, and was a member of Phi Beta Kappa, Theatre Intime, Triangle Club, Whig Hall, and Court Club.

In theater he was phenomenally successful, starting by founding the Phoenix Theatre and ending by forming, with David Rockefeller, a nonprofit organization, Arts Education and Americans. He wrote prolifically, taught at universities including Vassar, SUNY-Purchase, and Columbia, and directed many plays. At his memorial service he was hailed as “one of the most distinguished and versatile men in American theater.”

He has no known survivors.

The Class of 1931



Tut died July 27, 2001, in Lexington, Va. He attended Chestnut Hill Academy in Philadelphia and Episcopal High in Richmond.

At Princeton he was a member of Whig and of Court Club. After graduation, he stayed to earn his English Ph.D. He then became a professor and admission director at the Virginia Military Institute, and a member of the College English Assn. and of the Southern Humanities Assn.

Tut was involved in the Boy Scouts and the SPCA, the Lexington Historical Society, the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts Chapter, and the English-Speaking Union Chapter.

Surviving are his wife, Ann Porter, and his son, C. Cabell. The class extends its deepest sympathy to the entire family.

The Class of 1931


John Randolph Perkins ’33

Jack died on Nov. 15, 2001. He was 90. He prepared for Princeton at Lawrenceville. After graduation he attended law school at Georgetown and was admitted to the N.J. Bar in 1938. During WWII, he volunteered for the merchant navy and was assigned to an oil tanker. During his training to be the ship’s medical officer he met his wife, Alice.

After the war he opened his own law practise in Blairstown, N.J., and resided there until 1958. The family then immigrated to New Zealand, where he owned a number of farms and orchards. But his real interest was in politics and economics. Jack stood twice for Parliament (unsuccessfully) and wrote a book on New Zealand economics. Jack is survived by Alice, his wife of 55 years, and their five children. He will be missed.

The Class of 1933


Frank Townend ’33

Major General (ret.) Frank Townend, one of the most energetic supporters of the class, died Nov. 27, 2001. He was 90. After graduating from Harvard Law School, he practiced in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. During WWII he served with the 109th Field Artillery in Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland, the Battle of the Bulge, and Central Europe. He was named commander of the 109th Field Artillery in 1948. He held various commands during the Korean War. His military decorations included the Bronze Star and five battle stars.

Later, as director of the Luzerne County [Pa.] Civil Defense, he gave the order to evacuate the Wyoming Valley during the 1972 Agnes Flood.

Frank was a member of the Wilkes-Barre Presbyterian Church and was active in the United Way, Nesbit Memorial Hospital, Greater Wilkes-Barre Chamber of Commerce, Westmoreland Club, Kiwanis, Veterans of Foreign Wars, and American Legion.

Frank is survived by his wife of 59 years, Lenchen Coughlin, a son, Stephen, a daughter, Cynthia Donaldson, and six grandchildren. This friend and classmate will certainly be missed, especially his carefully recorded football game plans.

The Class of 1933



Bill died on Nov. 8, 2001, in Westfield, N.J., where he had lived his entire life. He was 86. He came to Princeton from Loomis. His business life was spent in insurance and banking, and he retired from the Bank of Boston in NYC in 1974.

Music played a large part in his life. At his death he was the oldest member of the Westfield Glee Club. For many years he was a member of the choir at the Presbyterian Church of Westfield. Bill also played mandolin in a band that played in nursing homes and senior centers. After he retired, he volunteered at a hospital two days a week.

Bill is survived by his devoted wife of 25 years, Mabel, four nephews, and one niece.

Bill’s pleasant ways were always welcome at reunions and events. He will be missed. The class extends its sincere sympathies.

The Class of 1937


Henry Quellmalz ’37

Henry died Sept. 30, 2001, at Albany Memorial Hospital Hospice, Albany, N.Y. Born in Baltimore, he came to Princeton from the Gilman School. He majored in politics and graduated with high honors.

During WWII, he served at Ft. Meade, Md., as director of U.S. Army Post Exchanges. In 1944, he joined Boyd Printing in Albany. He became president in 1952. When his daughter Jane became president in 1985, Henry became chair of the board.

Henry was active in community affairs as chair of both the Red Cross Fund drive and St. Peter’s Hospital Foundation Board. He received the Third Age Achievement Award for most valuable senior citizen in business from the Senior Services of Albany Foundation and was the first recipient of the Catherine McAauley Award from the St. Peter’s Hospital Foundation.

He is survived by his wife, Marion, three daughters, Lynn Johnson, Susan, and Jane Carey, his brother, Frederick, three grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren. The class extends its deepest condolences to his family and friends.

The Class of 1937



Late news has been received of Ed’s death on Oct. 29, 2000, on Hilton Head Island, S.C.

A Texan born and bred, Ed went to Lawrenceville. At Princeton he played 150-pound football and was in Charter Club. He majored in politics, graduating with honors.

After obtaining his law degree from the U. of Texas, he married Margaret Littlejohn in 1942 and was promptly drafted into the Army. He served from 1942--46 with the 3rd and 4th Armored Divisions in Europe, earning a Bronze Star and three battle stars, and was released as a captain.

Thereafter, his business career as assistant general counsel with Standard Oil of N.J., Creole Petroleum, and Intl. Petroleum companies took him to South America, Canada, Egypt, and various U.S. locations.

Ed married Mary B. Jamieson in 1953. In 1995, as a widower, he moved from Miami to Hilton Head. Survivors include a daughter, Crary R. Lauer, a stepson, David Beaty, a sister, Barbara R. Dunn, and three grandchildren, to all of whom the class extends its sincere sympathies.

The Class of 1938


David Alan Whitwell Wilson ’38

After a short illness, Dave, who in 1992 won our Class Distinguished Service Award, died May 29, 2001.

Born in London, Dave came to NYC as an infant. He attended Riverdale Country School and at Princeton majored in biology, graduating with honors. He was a member of Theatre Intime and president of Dial Lodge. Before earning his medical degree from Columbia in 1942, Dave married Madeleine Holden, who died in 1996.

During WWII Dave served in Europe as a captain in the Army. Thereafter, he commenced a 50-year medical career at United Hospital in Port Chester, N.Y., where he was an attending surgeon, director of surgery from 1981-85, president of the medical staff, and a member of its board of trustees.

After moving to Montpelier, Vt., in 1995, he consulted on Medicare eligibility and was one of Vermont’s first volunteer guardians ad litem, who are assigned to protect infants’ legal rights.

Dave is survived by his second wife, the former Majorie B. White, his four children, three stepchildren, 16 grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren, to all of whom the class extends deep sympathy.

The Class of 1938



Page died Sept. 11, 2001, in Summerland, Fl. He prepared for Princeton at Haverford, leaving the Class of ’40 during his freshman year. He married Margaret Rulon in 1939. He was a lieutenant in the Navy, serving from 1941-45 in the Pacific theater and along the Atlantic coast. He later served in the Navy reserve.

Page was president of Anderson and Brown, followed by other positions in investment counseling and insurance. He was a devoted sportsman, salmon fishing at his camp in New Brunswick and hunting in Africa.

Page was active in the Philadelphia community: Phila. Club, Orpheus Club, the Phila. Working Home, Phila. Assn. for the Blind, and the Zoological Society. Our class 25th yearbook quotes Page as “thoroughly enjoying my work, my wife and three daughters and a good life.” To his daughters, Marechal and Caroline Constant *76, we extend our sincere sympathies.

The Class of 1940



Dave died Nov. 16, 2001, from complications of Alzheimer’s disease. A native of Clarksburg, W. Va., he came to Princeton via Woodberry Forest School. He majored in modern languages, tying with classmate Wally Irwin for the Alden Memorial Prize in French. His club was Dial Lodge. Dave graduated from the U. of Va. Law School, where he edited the Law Review in 1944 and 1945.

During a nearly 30-year career as a congressional lawyer on Capitol Hill, Dave drafted key legislation for the House of Representatives. The Postal Reorganization Act of 1970 was one of his cardinal efforts before he retired in 1974.

He is survived by his daughter, Jennie Meade. To her, we extend our sincere


The Class of 1940



Tom died on Jan. 26, 2000, in Sanibel, Fla. He prepared at Exeter and majored in chemistry at Princeton, where his activities included the choir and Glee Club. He was a member of Dial Lodge.

His business career began with DuPont immediately after graduation. He worked in research, production, and sales, holding various supervisory and management positions before becoming the director of the Freon products division in 1963.

His career allowed him to indulge his passion as a part-time farmer, raising beef cattle. He also continued to sing.

He leaves Virginia, his wife of nearly 55 years; two daughters, Julia Blanchard and Ann Vanneman; a son, T. Daniel III; and four grandchildren. To them we offer our sympathy.

The Class of 1940



Pick died July 22, 2000. He and his younger brother, Alec, both entered Princeton in the fall of 1936, both having prepared at Lawrenceville. Loring left Princeton at the end of his sophomore year to work in San Francisco. He also lived in NYC, Paris, Vienna, and Bad Gotenberg, Germany.

Alec preceded him in death on Mar. 23, 1997. Class yearbooks list updates on Alec but not Loring. Additional information has been solicited, but we regret not being able to furnish further details at this time.

To his nephew, John A. Pickering ’71, we express our sympathies.

The Class of 1940



Ben died on Jan. 21, 2000, in Cincinnati, where he had spent most of his life. He prepared at Lawrenceville, where he played on several athletic teams. At Princeton he majored in geology, garnering departmental honors, played baseball, was a class vice president and a member of Tiger Inn.

Ben attended Harvard Business School and the U. of Cincinnati Business School before joining the Navy in the Pacific theater during WWII. He was discharged in 1945 as a lieutenant after being awarded a Presidential Unit Citation with nine stars.

Ben’s career was in coal production and sales. He became president of United Colleries in 1953. He was an active figure in Cincinnati life, including Boy Scouts, Community Chest, Racquet Club, and Camargo Club.

Our class extends its much belated, but sincere, sympathies to his surviving family: son Ben III, daughters Mary and Elizabeth Hedgecock, stepsons Charles Scott and Henry Scott, stepdaughters Kathleen Scott and Lynn Scott, five grandchildren, and three step-grandchildren.

The Class of 1940


Earl I. Heenan Jr. ’41

Earl died at home on Aug. 7, 2001, from complications of cancer. A lifelong resident of Detroit and Grosse Pointe, Mich., he graduated from Detroit U. School, and at Princeton majored in politics, joined Quadrangle, served in ROTC, and was a member of Triangle Club, touring as drummer with the band.

Commissioned in June 1941, Earl was assigned to Fort Bragg, where he was Battery C.O. and Battalion S-3 in the Field Artillery. After transfer to Fort Sill, and then back to Fort Bragg in 1943, Earl was assigned to liaison duty in the China theater, serving as Field Artillery Instructor/Adviser in Kunming.

Awarded the Silver Star, Bronze Star, Purple Heart, and two Chinese decorations, Earl was mustered out as a major.

Returning to Detroit, he entered the real estate investment and finance field with his brother Palmer ’43. Earl volunteered for many organizations, chiefly the Henry Ford Health System in Detroit, the Earhart Foundation in Ann Arbor, and the Cottage Hospital in Grosse Pointe.

Surviving are his brother Palmer, son Earl III ’71, daughter Tracy Walklet, and grandchildren Elizabeth and Grayson.

The Class of 1941


Alexander Davidson Hargrave ’41

Alex died Oct. 12, 2001, in Rochester, N.Y., of Alzheimer’s disease. He graduated from Exeter. At Princeton, he majored in public and international affairs, joined Quadrangle, was on the swimming team, and roomed with Plumer, Livesey, Scammell, and Jim Graham.

Commissioned ensign in July 1941, he served two years as gunnery officer on the light cruiser San Diego in the Pacific. At war’s end, he was in training to be a Navy pilot, separating in Sept. 1945 as a lieutenant commander.

Alex graduated from Harvard Law School in 1948 and joined the Rochester law firm Nixon Hargrave. In 1963 he was named executive vice president of the Lincoln Rochester Bank, becoming president in 1968.

In 1984, Alex merged Lincoln with Chase Manhattan, serving as chair of Chase Lincoln until his retirement in 1986, when he rejoined Nixon Hargrave.

Active in Rochester community affairs, he was chair of Rochester United Way and on the board of the Rochester Inst. of Technology, among many others.

Surviving are his wife, Marcia; sons Alexander ’68 and Charles; daughters Susan Mackenzie and Margaret; stepdaughter Josephine Gumaer; stepsons Elliott Gumaer and Peter Gumaer; brothers Thomas ’46 and Richard ’51; sisters Jean Farnham, Catherine Sykes, and Margaret Frame; and nine grandchildren.

The Class of 1941


Frank Conrad Nagel Jr. ’41

Frank died of a heart attack Sept. 4, 2001, while driving home to Malibu, Calif., after a trip East that began with our 60th reunion.

He entered Princeton from Glen Ridge, N.J. Majoring in chemistry as a U. Scholar, Frank was a member of Cannon.

After graduation, Frank joined Merck before he entered the Navy as an ensign. He served on a minesweeper in the Pacific until discharged for medical reasons.

He then joined Union Oil Co. in LA, subsequently moving to TRW and then American Potash (now Kerr McGee). He finally retired in 1995 after 24 years with the LA Superior Courts.

Frank and his wife, Pat, traveled extensively, staying on some 40 small islands around the world. At his death he still had his 1941 Lincoln Zephyr in his garage.

Predeceased by Pat, his wife of 55 years, he is survived by his sister, Connie Sawdey, three nieces, one nephew, and eight grandnieces and nephews.

The Class of 1941



John died in San Antonio, Tex., on Nov. 8, 2001, from a massive stroke. Most of his postwar career was devoted to investment management.

Coming to Princeton from Mercersburg Academy, John majored in economics and was a member of Charter Club. During the war he was a lieutenant commander in the Navy, in the South Pacific theater. He served aboard the most decorated naval ship of WWII, the USS Nicolas, and was awarded a total of 10 battle stars. He returned to Princeton after the war, receiving his AB in 1947. He went on to earn an MA in 1950 at the U. of Texas.

John traveled extensively in his work before he retired to San Antonio. He greatly appreciated opera and classical music, and was a patron of the San Antonio Museum of Art. He will be remembered for his brilliance, his inquisitive nature, broad intellectual interests, and search for truth. He loved Princeton and had planned to attend our 60th reunion.

To his three sons, David, Sam, and Scott and their families, the class extends its profound condolences.

The Class of 1942



Ed died Oct. 18, 2001, at home in Charlottesville, Va., of a heart attack. After a long career in the magazine field he retired in 1974 to devote his energies to pro-bono activities. A dedicated second-generation Princetonian, Ed never missed an opportunity to stay in touch with classmates, and served as national chairman of AG. We all mourn the loss of a dear friend and a loving husband, who will long be remembered by those whose lives he touched.

Ed prepared for Princeton at Asheville School, majored in history, and was a member of Quadrangle Club. During the war he worked for the U.S. Economic Administration and the State Dept. in Africa. After the war he held positions with Curtis Publishing Co., United Press, and U.S. News & World Report. In addition to broad-based civic involvement, Ed was a trustee of Ithaca College, Asheville School, and the National Presbyterian Church in DC.

To his wife, Lala, whom he married in 1974, with honorary classmate Ernest Gordon officiating, the class extends its most profound sympathies.

The Class of 1942



Charlie died of congestive heart failure Nov. 1, 2001, at Fellowship Village in Basking Ridge, N.J. He retired from the practice of law in 1991.

He prepared at Exeter, majored in economics, and was a member of Tower Club. During WWII he served in the Navy from 1942-46, primarily aboard LST 242, in the Pacific theater, including landings at Tarawa, Kwajalein, Eniwetok, Saipan, Leyte, and Lingayen. He was discharged in 1945 as a lieutenant. In 1948 Charlie received his law degree from Columbia and joined his father’s law firm, Pitney, Hardin & Ward, in Newark, N.J., which later moved to Morristown. He became an active member of the Chester [N.J.] Township Planning Board, serving as chair for 11 years. A devoted second-generation Princetonian, he never passed up an opportunity to join the class at reunions and other gatherings.

To his wife, Jean, and his daughter, Katharine, the class offers its most profound sympathies.

The Class of 1942



Following a long illness, Joe died Sept. 17, 2001, in Greensburg, Pa., his lifelong home. Everyone who knew Joe will remember his warm and engaging smile. A superb wrestler, he won national recognition for his prowess, both at Mercersburg Academy and at Princeton.

After playing tackle on the varsity football team and setting many records in wrestling, Joe left Princeton in 1941 to enlist in the Marines, where he rose to the rank of 1st lieutenant and fought with the 6th Division in the campaigns to invade Guam and Okinawa. He returned to Greensburg after the war and became owner of the Jamison Insurance Agency. He had a deep love for his community and for the many people he came to know there, who said, “We will greatly miss his kindness, strength, integrity, humanity, and wonderful sense of humor.”

To his wife, Kathryn, his three children, Kathryn, Joe Jr., and Amanda, and his granddaughter, Kathryn, the class offers its most sincere condolences.

The Class of 1942



Pete died Oct. 30, 2001, in Charlottesville, Va., of mycosis fungoides. A wonderful friend, a dedicated Princetonian, and an outstanding athlete, Pete was honored by a portal in the new football stadium and a baseball scholarship dedicated in his name. He will always be remembered for his role in defeating Yale in football all four of his undergraduate years; the Class of 1942 was the only one in Princeton history to do so.

Pete came to Princeton from Hun School, majored in English, and was a member of Cottage. He lettered in track, baseball, basketball, and football, captaining the team senior year. During the war he served in the Army with the 13th Armored Division in Germany, rising to captain, and receiving a Bronze Star and two battle stars. Later he served as president of Clinchfield Supply Co. in his native Kingsport, Tenn., for more than 20 years. He served two terms as state senator before moving to NYC, where he enjoyed a second career in executive recruiting with Paul Stafford Associates and as president of Devine, Baldwin and Peters, Inc.

To his wife, Jackie, his children, Tim, Jono, and Lynn, and his eight grandchildren, the class offers its sincere sympathies.

The Class of 1942



Red died Mar. 12, 2001, in Cincinnati, days shy of his 81st birthday.

He grew up in Nashville, Tenn., and attended Montgomery Bell Academy. Following a prep school year at Hun, Red entered Princeton with the class.

His education was interrupted by WWII. A bombadier-navigator on B-24s, he was shot down during a mission over Europe and was held in various German prison camps for almost a year. Red’s business career included stints in banking, Ingram Oil, and a stock brokerage firm. He was a fine golfer, winning many local and club championships, and was also an ardent fisherman.

Survivors include his wife, Anne; three sons, William Jr., Horace, and James; a daughter, Elizabeth Dingess; and 13 grandchildren. To the entire family, we extend our deepest and most heartfelt condolences.

The Class of 1943



A longtime Princeton professor, Bryce died on Oct. 25, 2001, at Meadow Lakes in Hightstown, N.J. He was 82. A native of Glen Cove, N.Y., he lived in Princeton for 44 years before moving to Meadow Lakes. Throughout his career, Bryce held many positions, including research associate, assistant and associate professor, assistant dean of the School of Engineering, and professor of chemical studies and polymer studies. Bryce also acted as a consultant to several major chemical companies, such as Phillips and Hercules Inc.

During WWII, Bryce was a Seabee with the 110th Naval Construction Battalion.

He is survived by two sons, Bryce Jr., and Stephen H., and a daughter, Margaret. To them, we offer our heartfelt sympathies.

The Class of 1943



Jett McCormick died on Dec. 1, 2000, at his home in San Diego. Jett entered Princeton from the Harvard School, and, coming from a Navy family, his exotic address was the submarine base at Pearl Harbor just before the Japanese attack. At Princeton, Jett joined Tower Club and played football. In 1944 he received a degree in public and international affairs. Jett then joined the Marine Corps as an infantry platoon leader with the Sixth Marines on Guam and Okinawa, for which he received the Bronze Star. In 1950, Jett earned a degree from the U. of Va. Law School. His legal career began in the Navy’s general counsel office. In 1955 he moved to California and joined General Dynamics, becoming manager of international marketing and contracts. There he married Patricia Kousack. General Dynamics then transferred them to Florida, where Jett was active in community service and with his church and for several years maintained a 3-golf handicap.

Jett and Pat returned to California, where Pat survives him, together with a son, J. Jett, III, three daughters, Jeanne Ridgeway, Tricia, and Susan Davis, seven grandchildren, and his brother, Lynde. The class expresses its sympathy to all.

The Class of 1945



Vic died on Aug. 19, 2000, in Old Lyme, Conn., of congestive heart failure. The son of Victor 1905, he entered Princeton from Pawling Academy. Vic joined Elm Club, of which he was vice president when he was called into service with the Marines. He saw combat in the Marshall Islands and the Marianas. Returning to Princeton, he received a politics degree in 1948 and the next year married Elizabeth Holmes McLeod. Vic spent a couple of years in advertising and then turned to writing. In his 50th yearbook submission, Vic noted he still lived in Old Lyme, but that his wife had died and he had married Elsie Paulson, who happened to be the mother of his daughter-in-law.

Vic is survived by sons Victor L. and Park, daughter Susan Chandler, two stepchildren, and four grandchildren. The class expresses its sympathy to Ellie and the family.

The Class of 1945


Harrison Hoblitzelle ’46

Hob died Nov. 22, 2001, at his home in Cambridge, Mass. A native of St. Louis, he graduated from St. Paul’s School and entered Princeton in 1942, graduating with honors in public affairs in 1947. He enjoyed baseball, hockey, and rowing. He then earned his Ph.D. in comparative literature at Columbia U., and taught at Barnard and later at Brandeis U., where he was director of international programs.

In the 1950s and ’60s, Hob led relief camps in the U.S., Haiti, and Europe for the American Friends Service Committee. He studied at Harvard Divinity School in the early 1970s, and became director of Greenhouse Inc., a mental health collective in Cambridge. He trained in Buddhist meditation and became a lay monk in the Tiep Hiep Order, teaching at Cambridge Insight and Meditation Center for 15 years.

In 1964 he married Olivia Ames, who survives him, as do their children, Ethan A. ’88 and Laura, two grandchildren, and his brother, George K. ’43. To all of them the class extends its sympathy.

The Class of 1946


C. Grove Smith ’46

Grove died Nov. 3, 2001, of emphysema

at home in Sarasota, Fla. A native of Washington, DC, he graduated from St. Alban’s and entered Princeton in 1942 to major in economics. WWII service was with the 14th Armored Division in combat in Europe. Returning in 1946, he graduated in 1948 and married Marie Theetten in Paris, France, in 1949.

Advertising became Grove’s career, as a vice president with Young & Rubicam, then with J. Walter Thompson. He divorced and married Scottie Fitzgerald. After a stint in the Commerce Dept., 1966-72, he worked full-time with Democratic presidential campaigns. After his second divorce, in 1981 he moved to St. Thomas, V.I., working as a travel magazine agent until he retired in Florida.

Always fun-loving, his roommates, including Bucky Block and Jim Quiggle, remember Grove’s escorting the screen star Virginia Mayo to the Bicentennial Ball as honored queen. Loyal to his friends and his class, Grove will be greatly missed.

Surviving are a daughter, Jacqueline, a son, Martin, and his brother, Emmons S. ’51. The class extends its sympathy to them.

The Class of 1946


Ted died July 24, 2001, after a long battle with congestive heart failure; he was 76.

He served for five years as a Marine Corps officer during WWII and the Korean War.

Ted’s outstanding career began in NYC in 1948. After serving as executive vice president of Moloney, Regan, and Schmitt and then vice president and sales director for Newhouse Newspapers, he joined Knight Newspapers in 1972 to head Knight Advertising Sales Co. in NYC. He was promoted to vice president of marketing for Knight Ridder Newspapers, Inc,. in Miami, and board chair and president of Knight Ridder Newspaper Sales in 1980. He retired in 1987.

Ted was active in Rye, N.Y., where he lived for 20 years, as chair of the Rye Recreation Commission, president of Rye Little League, and fundraiser for the Red Cross. He had lived in Sarasota, Fla., since 1994 and had a summer home in Rockland, Maine. He was an ardent golfer.

Ted is survived by his wife, Kalo, a sister, three children, and 16 grandchildren. To the entire family, the class extends its deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1947


Antonio Alfredo Luccarelli ’48

Tony, a native of Avellino, Italy, died on June 9, 2001, of heart failure. He was 79.

Tony came to NYC in 1936 and moved in with his sister in Princeton, graduating from Princeton HS. After a stint in the Army, he entered Princeton in 1944 to major in art and architecture and to room with Bates Littlehales. Tony and Carmela were married in 1948. He graduated with honors, was on Tiger, and was art editor of the Nassau Lit.

Tony’s professional career was in architecture, building, and land development, from Boston to Florida. He designed and largely built his own house in Princeton. An artist and artisan, painting thousands of canvases and carving innumerable sculptures from walnut, Tony held many solo art shows. He was a Renaissance man with a great zest for living. In addition to Carmela, Tony is survived by his children, Mark, Lisa, and Piero, and eight grandchildren.

The Class of 1948


Hugh Bayard Urban ’48

Hugh, professor emeritus of human development and psychology at Penn State, died on Oct. 3, 2001, in State College, Pa. He was 75.

Hugh served in the Army during the Philippines campaign as a mortar man and forward observer. Later he was in Gen. MacArthur’s Tokyo headquarters.

Hugh joined us from Choate and graduated with honors in psychology in 1949. He was in the Glee Club, played varsity soccer, and was secretary of Prospect.

After receiving his Ph.D. from Penn State, he was chief psychologist at the Brattleboro, [Vt.] Retreat before returning to Penn State and becoming chair of individual and family studies in the College of Human Development. He retired in 1986. He published more than 30 professional articles and coauthored two books. He served St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church in the vestry, on many committees, and in the choir.

Hugh is survived by his wife of nearly 50 years, Natalie, as well as two daughters, three sons, and his brother, Percy ’46. Hugh was a consistently loyal Princetonian, as was his father, a graduate of the Class of 1906.

The Class of 1948



Bill died Nov. 13, 2001, in Brewster, Mass., after a long bout with Parkinson’s disease. He was 70.

His nickname was “Des,” for Destroyer, which he certainly was on the football field. He stood out on the gridiron at New Trier HS, and added to his laurels on the 1950-52 Princeton teams that lost only one game in three years. Bill majored in engineering and was in Cap & Gown. After graduation he served two years in the Navy and then received his MBA at Harvard. He married Pamela Bushnell in 1957. Bill was employed with several engineering firms before settling in Milwaukee with Curtis Industries. After retiring from Curtis as CEO in 1990, he and Pamela divided the year between Captiva, Fla., and N. Chatham, Mass. His

hobbies were fishing, boating, and pheasant hunting.

Besides Pamela, Bill is survived by daughters Kathryn ’81 and Linda Olsen; sons William B. III and Daniel; sister Quinn Delaney; and grandchildren Ryanne and Nathan Olsen. We won’t forget Bill and his athleticism in Palmer Stadium.

The Class of 1953


Kenneth E. Nighman ’57

Ken died of cancer on Aug. 20, 2001, in LA. Ken came to Princeton from the U. of Minnesota HS. He majored in psychology and was a member of Campus Club, Whig-Clio, and the Psychology Club.

After graduation, Ken earned a master’s in psychology at the U. of Kentucky in 1959. He then served an internship and a two-year military service term in the U.S. Public Health Service in Lexington, Ky., working with addicts. Subsequently, he directed a large child guidance clinic in Kentucky for several years and then moved to L.A., where he was head of clinical services at the Frostig Center. He underwent eight years of psychoanalysis to become qualified in this demanding area, becoming a fellow of the Menninger Clinic and continuing consulting and training activities while conducting an extensive private practice in LA.

In addition to his wife, Denise, he is survived by his sister, Judie. The class extends its deepest sympathies to them on their loss.

The Class of 1957



Ted died on Sept. 23, 2001, in the Forest Haven Nursing Home in Catonsville, Md., from complications of a kidney disease. Ted was born in NYC, the son of Theodore ’38. He attended Choate before coming to Princeton, where he majored in chemistry, was a member of the Judo Club, the Karate Club, the Pistol Club, and Key and Seal. Ted earned a doctoral degree in physical chemistry from the UC- Berkeley, in 1971, working on problems associated with the basic physics of semiconductors. He began his career as an industrial research chemist, working first with Princeton Chemical Research on catalyst evaluation, and later for Gammaflux and Versar, where he became interested in determining the fate of environmental pollutants. After a period of service at the OSHA National Laboratory in Salt Lake City, Ted finished his career at Enviro Control in Rockville, Md., where he did hazard evaluation and predicted the environmental fate of priority pollutants. Ted spent much of his time later in life in northern California, where he enjoyed mountain climbing and rock climbing.

To his mother, Katherine w’38, the class extends its sympathy and support.

The Class of 1966


Charles ShEIld McCandlish ’70

Charlie died on Mar. 17, 2001, in Winchester, Va., of cancer. He was 52. He came to Princeton from Episcopal HS in Alexandria, Va. At Princeton he majored in English, writing his senior thesis under Carlos Baker, and was an officer of Charter Club, where he lived his senior year with Gerry Showstack and Steve Mygatt. He was active in the Glee Club. Following graduation, he served two duties touring the western Pacific as public affairs officer on the aircraft carrier USS Constellation. After discharge with the rank of lieutenant, he earned his law degree from the U. of Va. and married his childhood sweetheart, Mary Smith.

Charlie started with a law firm in Richmond, and then moved to Winchester, where he practiced for 21 years. He also served on the Virginia State Bar’s Public Information and Judicial Selection committees, the city council, the school board, the Nature Conservancy, and as adjunct professor of business law. He was president of the bar association and the Torch Club and served on the Alumni Schools Committee. Charlie was described as “one of the most pleasant and capable attorneys who ever served on the Winchester courts.”

He is survived by his wife, Mary, son Robert, daughter Caroline, mother, and a sister, to all of whom the class extends its condolences.

The Class of 1970


Stuart Surick ’70

Stuart died on July 22, 2001, of heart failure while on a camping trip with his son. He was born in Philadelphia and graduated from Cheltenham HS. At Princeton he was a U. Scholar and majored in philosophy, while simultaneously studying piano at Juilliard. He studied piano at Combs College of Music, the Settlement Music School, and Aspen Music School, and performed regularly on radio stations in Philadelphia. He enjoyed accompanying the Princeton Glee Club.

After Princeton, Stuart lived in NYC, where he pursued his piano career, performing at venues such as Lincoln Center and at Wigmore Hall in London. He studied law at Temple U. and was admitted to the N.J. Bar in 1977. Stuart settled in Lawrence, N.J., and practiced law, primarily civil litigation, family law, real estate, and small-business matters. His civility, unbending sense of integrity and loyalty, and caring for the needs of his clients elicited praise from fellow barristers. He was head of the Lawrence Republican Party, exalted ruler of the Princeton Elks, and president of the Hamilton Rotary Club. He worked for many charitable causes, hunted passionately for antiques, and often gave piano concerts.

He was married for 19 years to Diane Hall, who survives him, as does their son, Stuart. He is also survived by a sister, Elaine Oran. To them, the class extends its condolences.

The Class of 1970


Alan Campi ’73

Alan died of heart failure on June 12, 2001, at his Pennington home, survived only by his sister Alicia. Born in Trenton, Big Al came to Princeton from the Hun School. He spent his career working in the New Jersey court system.

Alan played freshman football and worked on the Prince, but we remember him best sitting at Quadrangle, playing bridge, APBA, and poker. Creative yet prescient bids and bets, shrewd calculation of probabilities, and the occasional power-snooze made him a fearsome opponent and occasionally a fearsome partner. Big Al was also a hoops and volleyball terror, gleefully using his not-inconsiderable bulk to intimidate lesser opponents. And when the lights finally went out at Quad, Big Al would wander back to wake his roommates, offer them a beer, and persuade them to play “just one rubber.”

Big Al loved his friends, Quadrangle, and Princeton, probably in that order, and was loved in turn by all those with whom he came in contact. In his memory, his friends are donating a card table and chairs to Quadrangle, where his picture on a memorial plaque will beam down on card players yet unborn. Persons interested in contributing to the memorial should contact Bill Jones at 212-315-8344.

The Class of 1973

Current Issue    Online Archives    Printed Issue Archives
Advertising Info    Reader Services    Search    Contact PAW    Your Class Secretary