September 11, 2002: Memorials

W. Harding Kneedler ’22

Harding Kneedler, our sole surviving classmate and class president, died Mar. 21, 2002, at the age of 101. He was Princeton’s oldest graduate at the time of his death and was a man of great intelligence, honesty, and courage. He received the 1923 Old Guard Award in 1999 for being the oldest alumnus at Reunions. After receiving his award, Harding addressed the luncheon about the pleasures of his Princeton association. He then led the P-rade, walking the entire route. Harding and his wife spent many years as medical missionaries in Thailand. He served in a leprosy hospital in Chiang Mai during the 1930s and fled Thailand as the Japanese were invading through Burma. He reestablished his internal medicine practice in North Carolina, making subsequent trips to Thailand.

Harding is survived by three children, including his son, Bill Kneedler ’60, seven grandchildren, and eight great-grandchildren. A memorial service was held Apr. 21 at the Davidson College Presbyterian Church where he served as an elder. We remember several photographs that were taken in 1998, when Harding won four gold medals at the Senior Olympic Games. Harding was a wonderful Princetonian and a fine person. We extend sincere condolences to his family.

The Class of 1922


Horace G. Meeker ’29

Horace died Mar. 3, 2002, in Maplewood, N.J. He celebrated his 95th birthday with family members just five days before. He graduated first in his class at Bloomfield HS and entered Princeton’s School of Engineering, receiving both his B.S. and M.S. with highest honors. After graduation Horace entered the family business, Smith-Meeker Engineering, succeeding his father as president and retiring as chairman in 1985.

Horace was president of the Glen Ridge (N.J.) board of education, chaired the town building code revision committee, served on the zoning board of adjustment, was a trustee of the local savings & loan, and was member of the Glen Ridge Congregational Church for 80 years. Horace also was an accomplished calligrapher and artist, creating many works for family and friends, including former Pres. Harold Shapiro.

Horace loved Princeton and served as class treasurer. He rarely missed reunions or Alumni Day and enjoyed football games with his son, Tom ’56. Horace requested his memorial service be patterned after the Alumni Day Service of Remembrance, closing with the strains of “Old Nassau.” The class extends its sympathies to Constance, his wife of 70 years; daughters Beverly Meeker, Claire Xenikakis, and Abby Fountain; son Thomas ’56; 13 grandchildren, and nine great-grandchildren.

The Class of 1929



Larry Roberts died Mar. 10, 2002, of a heart attack. He was 95. He was an internationally known Asian art scholar who had been director of the American Academy in Rome. Following a brief stay at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, Larry moved to Beijing to study Chinese art and language. In 1934 he became curator of Asian art at the Brooklyn Museum of Art and in 1938 was named director of the museum. While at the museum, he met and married Isabel Spaulding. While he served in Army intelligence during WWII, Isabel served as director of the museum. After the war, he resigned from the museum to become director of the American Academy in Rome. The academy became a great center for literary and well-known Americans in the cultural world. In 1960 he resigned from the Academy and joined with Gov. Nelson Rockefeller in establishing the New York State Council of the Arts. The Roberts’ made Venice their home while he traveled frequently to Japan. They finally settled in Baltimore, where he lived out his days.

To Isabel and to several nephews and nieces, the class extends its deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1929


Charles L. Thompson II ’29

Charlie died Feb.19, 2002. He prepared for Princeton at St. Louis Country Day School. At Princeton he was manager of the ’31 baseball team and a member of freshman track, the Glee Club, and Tower Club. He married Winifred Duncan in 1935.

His career was in the steel business. He was vice president of the Ludlow-Saylor Wire Co. of St. Louis. When the business was sold to General Steel Industries Inc., he retained the title of vice president and treasurer of his division. He was a member of the scholarship committee of St. Louis Country Day School. He was a longtime member of the University Club and served on Community Chest, Red Cross, and Boy Scout drives. He has two children, William Duncan and Joyce, and two grandchildren, Edward and Charles. To Winifred and her children and grandchildren, the class extends its deep sympathy.

The Class of 1929



Leo died in Sept. 1992. At Princeton he was in the University Orchestra and then concertmaster of that body. In 1929 he married Laura Beach. They had three sons, Christopher Dennis, John Edward ’54, and Thomas Dolbear. In 1933 he graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons and specialized in obstetrics-gynecology. He built a practice in Paterson, N.J. He spent three years in the Medical Corps, rising to captain during WWII. During this service in the European theater, he won the Bronze Star and three battle stars.

The Throns had six grandchildren. Alumni Records lost touch with him, hence the belated memorial. To all of his survivors, the class sends its sympathy and apologizes for the lateness in doing so.

The Class of 1929



Rutledge Howard, a resident of Boerne, Tex., for 17 years, died Jan. 31, 2002.

Rutledge had such an illustrious career that it cannot be described within the space limitation of this obituary. Any doctor who is interested in a complete obituary may feel free to request it from ’32’s secretary at The Princeton Windrows, 3 Birchwood Court, Princeton, NJ 08540.

The American Medical Assn. honored him in 1989 and the American Council for Continuing Medical Education honored him in 1991. The ACCME developed an award in the name of Rutledge W. Howard for excellence and innovation in CME accreditation. The award is given annually to the state medical societies selected for the award.

He is survived by his wife, Eileen. The class sends its condolences to the widow.

The Class of 1932


Victor G. Manych ’32

Victor G. Manych died Apr. 11, 2002. He was 91.

Upon graduation from Princeton he worked for the Vacuum Oil Co. in Prague. The growing Nazi movement forced his return in 1934 to NYC, where he was employed by R.H. Macy & Co. in their merchandise training program. In 1938, while working as a toy buyer, he married Ethel F. Britain, an executive in Macy’s personnel department. He then joined the W.T. Grant Co., spending more 35 years in a series of regional and national executive positions. During WWII he served in the Navy at the Naval Research Laboratory in DC.

Retiring in 1973, he continued volunteer work with the W.W. Backus Hospital and the Chamber of Commerce. He was past president of the Rotary Club, a member of the Pautipaug Country Club and the Westbrook Fishing Club, and an officer in the Eastern Connecticut Navy League.

Victor was a dedicated member of a regional committee promoting Princeton’s AG. He amassed many congratulatory letters and plaques for his high percentages of alumni participation.

Victor was predeceased by his wife, Ethel. Surviving are his sister, Lillian, and a nephew, Steven, to whom the class extends its deep sympathy.

The Class of 1932


William Wood Watts ’33

Bill Watts of Weekapaug, R.I., died in Clipper Home in Westerly, R.I. on Mar. 23, 2002. He was 90. Bill was predeceased by his wife, Mary. Before entering Princeton, Bill graduated from St. George Preparatory School in Newport. Bill was a veteran of WWII, serving in the Army as lieutenant colonel. During his lifetime he was a securities salesman with the firm of Tucker, Anthony and R.L. Day. Bill was a member of the South Congregational Church of Springfield, Mass. He served for a number of years as treasurer of the Weekapaug Fire District. Bill leaves behind his son William III, and daughters Marion Banks and Sara Set. We will miss Bill. He was a warm and congenial classmate.

The Class of 1933



Buck Katzenbach, former chief of surgery (1969-76) at Hunterdon Medical Center in Flemington, N.J., which he was instrumental in starting, died Mar. 26, 2002, five days before his 90th birthday, at home in Hopewell, N.J.

Buck practiced at Hunterdon from 1953, when the hospital opened, to 2001, when he retired, though he continued working part-time as surgical assistant in the operating room in orthopedic, gynecological, general, and endoscopic surgery. He was a professor at the U. of Medicine & Dentistry of N.J. in Newark and at Rutgers; a fellow of the American College of Surgeons; and a member of the Medical Society of New Jersey and the AMA.

A WWII veteran (1942-46; discharged as a colonel), he was named the 1999 Veterans Day honoree of the 112th Field Artillery Assn., and he was an elder and longtime member of the Hopewell Presbyterian Church.

Buck married Marylu Robison, a former nurse, who died in 1996. Surviving are sons Charles B. ’71 and Peter T., sister Augusta Gardener, brother, H. Hall Jr. *37, and two grandsons. Nicholas Katzenbach ’43, former attorney general, is a cousin.

The Class of 1934



Tom died Dec. 10, 2001, in Clearwater, Fla. He had congestive heart disease and suffered cardiac arrest after successful hip surgery. He was 90.

A native of Pittsburgh, Tom was an Air Force captain during WWII in combat intelligence in the European theater and received the Bronze Star. He was an executive vice president of Precision/Kidd Steel, in Washington, Pa. He retired in 1972 and moved to Florida. In Florida he was a member of the Belleair Country Club, and through the years he remained an avid golfer. He also enjoyed boating and was a member of the Clearwater Power Squadron.

Through courses offered by Senior Net he became computer literate and also spent time as a volunteer in a local hospital and for Meals on Wheels.

Tom is survived by his wife, Susan Hartig, two sons, a daughter, and seven grandchildren. We offer them all our sympathies.

The Class of 1934


J. Brooks Robinson ’36

Brooks died Aug. 8, 2001. He was a graduate of the Moran School in DC. At Princeton he majored in philosophy and was a member of Key and Seal.

Since 1938 he was board chairman of the Grogan Robinson Lumber Co. of Great Falls, Mont. He also was a past president of the Montana Building Material Dealers Assn., Montana Taxpayers Assn., Vermiculate Assn.-Chicago, and was listed in Who’s Who of The West 1962-1968. He was president of the Kiwanis club of Great Falls and a past trustee and president of the Deaconess Hospital of Great Falls. His hobbies were golf, fishing, and sailing on Flathead Lake in Montana.

Brooks is survived by his wife, Eleanor S. Speaker, whom he married in 1940, sons J. Frederick and Owen B., daughter Marjorie Smith, and several grandchildren.

He had great affection for Princeton and for our class. When younger, he and Eleanor attended some of our class reunions despite the long distance from their home.

The Class of 1936


George R. Webster ’36

George died Jan. 30, 2002, at age 87. Born in Detroit to Judge Arthur Webster and Laura Belle Russell Webster, he graduated from Phillips Exeter in 1932. At Princeton he majored in chemical engineering and was a member of Quadrangle Club. In 1937 he received a master’s from the U. of Michigan. He joined the Pyrofax Gas Division of Union Carbide, where he eventually became chief engineer. During WWII he worked on the Manhattan Project. In 1955 he participated in an atom bomb test in Nevada.

He served for 25 years on the board of McGraw-Hill Publishing Co. He was treasurer of the Princeton Hospital Foundation, board president of Vail Valley Medical Center, and a benefactor of Princeton.

After many years of living in Princeton, he made Vail, Colo., his fulltime home in 1989. He was a lifelong swimmer. His hobbies included fly-fishing, ham radio, flying, navigating ocean sailing races, furniture reproductions, and miniature steam locomotives.

George is survived by a sister, Jane Pearce, daughters Deborah L. and Molly M., son Curtis M., and grandchildren Andrew Webster, Lindsay Webster ’01, Christopher Schiotz, and Theo Webster.

The Class of 1936



Ken died July 9, 2001, in Parkland, Fla., after a lengthy illness.

After preparing at Horace Mann in NYC, he majored in biology at Princeton and was a member of the Triangle Club orchestra. His hobbies were piano, violin, painting, and wood carving. He received his master’s at Cal-Tech, his doctorate in psychology from Cornell, and served in the Navy as a 2nd lieutenant on hospital ships.

Thereafter, Ken practiced psychology in La Jolla, NYC, and Ft. Lauderdale, where he also taught at local colleges. In 1977 Ken met and married his wife, Sue. In 1982 they moved to Hawaii, where Ken worked as head psychologist at Hawaii State Mental Hospital on Oahu before moving to Maui, where he worked at the Maui Clinic. He retired in 1986, and later, due to failing health, he and Sue moved back to Florida in July 1993.

Ken is survived by his wife; stepson Burke Fox III; stepgrandchildren Burke IV and Brandi Sue Lester; and great-stepgrandchildren Burke V, Maddie Fox, RyLee Fox, Avery Lester, and Alexandra Estrado; to all of whom the class extends its sympathy.

The Class of 1938


Freeman Fairchild ’39

Freeman died Jan. 3, 2002, at East Hampton, N.Y., his home since 1968, when he retired after 25 years with Turner Construction. Shortly after graduation, Freeman joined the Army and was eventually assigned to the Seventh Armored Division, which sailed for Europe on June 6, 1944, and became part of Patton’s Third Army in the fight on the continent that summer. They fought across France and were in Belgium when the Germans launched the Ardennes offensive that became the Battle of the Bulge. Freeman’s division was in the worst combat of the battle. For his conduct during that period he was promoted to captain and awarded the Bronze Star.

In retirement Freeman was coowner and comanager of an East Hampton golf course. In 1986 he suffered a broken neck but happily made a complete recovery. He was able to pursue his avocations, fly-fishing and upland bird shooting, and his activities with the East Hampton Historical Society. Freeman never married. He is survived by a niece and three nephews of whom one is A. Tappen Soper ’56. We offer them all our sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1939


George Kenneth Flavell Jr. ’39

Ken died at his home in Medford, N.J., on Jan. 4, 2002. For several years he had suffered from Parkinson’s, but at the end a massive heart attack was the cause of death. After college Ken worked briefly for the Philadelphia Electric Co. until he was called to active duty with the Navy, serving as supply officer on a destroyer escort in the Pacific. In 1948 he joined Rohm and Haas Co. in Philadelphia, where he established and managed a marketing and sales training program until he retired in 1976. He and his wife, Dorothy, were then able to move to Hawaii to a home they had long ago planned for. They had five wonderful years there before family considerations brought them back to the mainland, eventually settling at the continuing care community where they were living at the time of his death.

Dorothy, their two sons, Stuart and Christopher, one grandson, and two great-grandchildren, as well as his sister, Grace, survive. To all Ken’s loved ones we offer our sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1939


John Carstens Matthews ’39

John died Jan. 10, 2002, at home in West Caldwell, N.J. He had been living there in a continuing care retirement community for the past three years.

After graduating with a degree in chemical engineering, John joined Schering-Plough in 1940 and there spent his entire career before retiring in 1982. The only exception was his active duty with the Naval Reserve from 1942-45, serving as a lieutenant and chief engineer on destroyers in the American, European, and Pacific areas.

Even after retirement he continued as a consulting engineer at Schering. He was a trustee of First Presbyterian Church of Caldwell, supported Family Service of West Essex, and served as treasurer of the local chapter of American Field Service.

John and Catherine Kaufmann were married in 1942. She survives, as do their three daughters, Barbara, Jane, and Lynne, and three grandchildren.

At a memorial service for John, Barbara cited his generosity and how he taught them to extend their caring beyond family to the community. Joining them in gratitude for his life well lived, we offer our sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1939



Drobe died Feb. 17, 2002; he was 81. He came to Princeton from Deerfield Academy. Drobe was a member of the varsity heavyweight crew for three years and majored in economics. A member of ROTC, he went on from there to 28th Armored Division, Third Army and the Battle of the Bulge.

Drobe’s father, a member of the Class of 1917, owned and published Bride’s Magazine, and after a short stint in retail trade, Drobe joined him there. He later enjoyed a full career in magazine and book publishing, serving with the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Conde Nast, and Pyne Press. For many years, he was publisher of the Beacon Press in Boston.

Drobe was an avid reader, an American history scholar, and was interested in a wide range of literature and the arts.

We all remember him fondly, and send our collective sympathies to his daughter, Hilary Propst, and son, Daniel.

The Class of 1943



John died Mar. 2, 2002, in Logan, Utah, at the age of 83.

A native of Newark, N.J., John graduated cum laude from Princeton and afterward served in the Army Air Corps in England during WWII. In 1947 he married Elizabeth Anne Booher. His professional career began as a chemist for Beechnut in its food labs. In 1951 John moved to Dayton to take a similar post with Monsanto. Ten years later, the company transferred him to St. Louis. Before his 1984 retirement, John acted as a senior research scientist.

A 32nd degree Mason, John loved to share his knowledge, giving many lectures to schoolchildren on microscopy. Universities in Japan, England, and Wales invited him to lecture to students and professionals. His chief hobbies were reading, photography, and travel.

John is survived by his wife of 55 years, Betsy, son Robert Clarke Fairing, daughter Laurel McGill, seven grandchildren, and five great-grandchildren.

To the entire family, we extend our most heartfelt condolences.

The Class of 1943



Lin died Mar. 16, 2002, following a short illness. He was 81.

A native of Glen Cove, N.Y., he graduated and entered the Army Air Corps. Trained as a flight engineer, Lin served aboard B-24 bombers on 35 sorties and 53 missions, from Italy to Yugoslavia. He earned a DFC with three clusters.

Following WWII Lin attended the U. of Virginia Law School. He held many prestigious legal positions, including assistant general counsel at New Jersey Zinc Corp.

Eventually he founded his own legal and financial management firm, Miller, Davidson, Inc. in Locust Valley, N.Y., from which he retired a short time before his death. Lin was elected village justice of Upper Brookville in 1958 and served in that post until 2001.

He is survived by his wife, Patricia; daughters Barbara Miller, Alexandra Cooper, Patricia R. Miller, and Carley Sullivan; son L. Garrison Jr.; and five grandchildren. To all of Lin’s survivors, we offer our deepest and most heartfelt condolences.

The Class of 1943



Bill Dunn died Aug. 13, 2001, in Branford, Conn.; he had lived for many years in Westport.

Coming to Princeton from Canterbury School, where he was active in track and publications, he left to serve as a naval ensign; after WWII he graduated from the U. of Vermont.

According to his 50th reunion statement, he was “a bartender, teacher, and sailor,” who lived many years in Budapest and Paris “with two wives (not at the same time).” He was a self-employed businessman in Westport.

He is survived by a son, William H., to whom the class sends its regrets.

The Class of 1944



Bill Vogt died Feb. 4, 2002, at Bryn Mawr Hospital; he was a resident of Haverford, Pa.

Entering Princeton from the Hill School, Bill joined Cap and Gown, and was captain and No. 1 player on the tennis team. Bill saw combat with the 69th Infantry Division, which met the Russians at the Elbe River. Returning to Princeton, Bill received a degree in English cum laude in 1948. In 1950 he married Lorine Eshleman, with whom he had three sons. While becoming successful in the real estate business, starting in tandem with his father, he never lost his interest in tennis. Bill was a nationally renowned tennis player, winning a mixed doubles championship with Helen Jacobs in 1940, as well as the US Interscholastic Championship. Bill won the US Open Doubles crown from 1963-66, and in the latter year he won the Doubles British Amateur Championship. Bill dominated the national senior singles and doubles championships, winning 15 singles and doubles titles. He never lost a senior match. Partnering with his two eldest sons in alternating victories, he won the US Father-Son Doubles Championship eight times.

In addition to Lorine, Bill is survived by his sons, William, Peter, and Brian, and by seven grandchildren. The class expresses its sympathy to all.

The Class of 1945



Peter Warren died Nov. 3, 2001, at his home in Roosevelt, N.J. Peter attended Lawrenceville but joined the class at Princeton after he had completed several years of wartime service as an ambulance driver for the American Field Service. He received his degree in the School of Public and International Affairs magna cum laude in 1948. Peter devoted himself to world economic problems both in the private sector and for the government. His interests took him around the world, spending time in Italy, Guinea, and Saudi Arabia. Taking up residence in Roosevelt in 1967, he devoted himself to local civic affairs as well as to such agencies as USAID, the World Bank, the UN Development Program, the African Development Bank, and the Ford Foundation.

Peter is survived by his wife, the former Ana Lillian Columna, daughter Alexandra Bonfante-Warren, sister Eugenia Herbert, brother Robert ’50, by several nieces and nephews, and a grandniece. The class extends its sympathy to the family.

The Class of 1945


Donald Ellis May ’46

Don died Jan. 23, 2002, in Camp Hill, Pa. Born to missionary parents in Paris, Don was schooled in Cameroon, Africa, and later at Mercersburg Academy.

He attended college first at Amherst from 1942-44, then at Princeton where he was a Navy V-12 cadet from 1944-45. He graduated from the Princeton Theological Seminary in 1968.

Don lived in Camp Hill and in nearby Chambersburg for over 40 years. He served as a Presbyterian minister in Abington, Pa., from 1948-50, in Bensalem, Pa., from 1950-57, and then for 27 years at Central Presbyterian Church in Chambersburg, where he participated in community affairs, including the Council of Churches. Following retirement in 1990, he continued as interim pastor at Middlespring Presbyterian Church.

Married for 52 years to Louise, he has four daughters, Kathleen, Rebecca, Amy, and Meg Ann. They all survive him, as do 10 grandchildren and a sister, Myra Pifer. To them all, the class extends its condolences.

The Class of 1946


Gilbert von Post Totten ’46 *48

Gil died Mar. 8, 2002, of leukemia in East Tennessee, where he lived for 20 years on a horse ranch in a home that he and his wife, Eileen, had built.

A Choate School graduate, Gil studied engineering at Princeton, taking a BSE degree in 1947 and an MSE in 1948, with US Navy service from 1943-45. He worked for seven years for Electronics Associates and Honeywell, then founded a successful vending-machine company, Avenco, which he sold in 1970.

Gil then took to the sea in his ketch, sailing the East Coast. In Florida, he spent more than three years building a 41-ft. ketch, sailing the Caribbean for the next five years.

Married in 1945, he and Eileen raised two daughters, Laura and Julia, and two sons, Wayne and Peter. In addition to raising horses, dogs, cats, and chickens, the Tottens enjoyed playing music at home and in their community. Gil is survived as well by 13 grandchildren, two great-grandchildren, and two brothers, George and Bertrand. The class joins the family in mourning the loss of a grand guy and loyal Tiger.

The Class of 1946



Bill died at age 76 on Dec. 23, 2001, in Scarsdale, N.Y., from the effects of a debilitating stroke he originally suffered in 1979. Bill came to Princeton from Choate, where he played football and hockey. He was a member of Cap and Gown.

Bill’s entire career was spent with Citibank, NA, which he joined as a trainee in 1949. For the next two decades he had various assignments in the US and in Europe. In 1972 he became chief credit officer in Europe. In 1978 Bill was named a member of the Credit Policy Committee and in 1979 was elected a senior vice president of Citibank, NA. He retired in 1985.

Bill was an active platform tennis player at the Fox Meadow club in Scarsdale. In 1962 he was elected president of the American Platform Tennis Assn.

Despite the lasting effects of the 1979 stroke, Bill never lost his enthusiasm for life, his interest in others, and his sense of humor. His beloved wife, Mary Jane, and a brother predeceased him. He is survived by a daughter, three sons, seven grandchildren, and a brother. To the entire family, the class extends its deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1947


George Watts Hill Jr. ’48

Watts Hill died Mar. 15, 2002, while working in the garden of his Chapel Hill home. He was putting the fine points on the most prominent garden of the April Chapel Hill Garden Tour. Watts also was an avid boater and loved sports cars. He led the professional competition board of the Sports Car Club of America and was a board member of the Ferrari Club of America.

Perhaps his finest achievement came as chair of the board of higher education in creating the Consolidated U. of North Carolina, bringing all 16 state-supported campuses under a single board of governors.

In addition to civic affairs and being a guiding hand in state politics, Watts was a leader in conservation. His most profound influence and legacy was as an advocate for school integration, increased spending for public education, and equal educational opportunity. He was active in the business world as the president of banks and insurance companies.

A graduate of Millbrook School, Watts was in the Navy V-5 program, and a member of Cap and Gown. He was with us only from June ’45 to June ’46, when he left for Navy duty. He graduated from U. of North Carolina in 1947.

To his widow, Mary, to Watts III, and daughter Debbie, the class offers its deepest condolences on the death of a present-day Renaissance man.

The Class of 1948


Stanley L. Lovett ’48

Stan Lovett died at his home in Boston, Va., on Nov. 29, 2001. He was 80.

Stan was a native of Salem, N.J., and a graduate of Pleasantville HS. He served with distinction in the Army from 1942-45, earning a Bronze Star and a Purple Heart. He came to Princeton in 1946 and was active in wrestling and student employment. His degree was in mechanical engineering.

Stan’s career was in the wire and rope field as a manufacturing manager. He worked for John A. Roebling in Trenton, Donald Ropes and Wire Cloth in Hamilton, Ont., and finally for Rochester Corp. in Culpepper, Va. He retired in 1986. He maintained his interest in golf and flying. Stan was always a loyal Princetonian.

He is survived by his wife of 54 years, Virginia, and three children, Casey, Jeffrey, and Samantha. The class extends its heartfelt condolences. He was preceded in death by his daughter, Kyle.

The Class of 1948



Dick died Dec. 12, 2001. He was 77. He prepared for Princeton at Woodberry Forest School in Columbia, S.C., and spent one semester with us in 1946 after service in the Army during WWII. He was wounded in action in Europe.

After withdrawing, he returned to Columbia, where he had lived ever since. He was president and owner of Keenan Oil Co. He married and had four daughters. It is known that he was survived by his wife, Lucia. No other information is available. The class extends their sympathy to his family.

The Class of 1949



Dick died Dec 4, 2001. He was 74. He prepared for Princeton at Canterbury School, and during WWII, he served in the Navy. At Princeton he majored in economics.

After leaving Princeton, Dick worked for five years in various European banks; he then returned to this country, where he worked for J. Henry Schroder Banking Corp. and then W. R. Grace & Co., from which he retired as assistant treasurer.

Dick is survived by his wife, Adelaide; his former wife, Ann Stringer Robins; daughters Siobhan Johnson, Elizabeth, and Claire; sons Richard Jr., Kevin, and James; brother James J. Jr. ’45; and 10 grandchildren. The class extends its sympathy to them on their loss.

The Class of 1949



G. K. died Dec. 20, 2001. He was 73. He prepared for Princeton at Newark Academy. He majored in public and international affairs, was a reporter for the Daily Princetonian, a member of the choir, and a member of Cloister Inn.

After graduation G.K. attended NYU School of Law, graduating in 1951. In 1953 he was commissioned in the Air Force and served on active duty until 1955. He then joined the legal department of Bell Labs, where he remained until retirement. G.K. was active in community affairs in his hometown of Basking Ridge, N.J., serving on the planning board and on the library board.

He is survived by his wife, Mary Jane, daughter Patricia Keener, sons Thomas and Andrew, and several grandchildren. The class extends its sympathies to them on their loss.

The Class of 1949



Jack, one of our quiet, bright, modest classmates died Mar. 8, 2002, in Columbia, S.C., from Parkinson’s. He graduated from Greenville (S.C.) HS with highest honors and was awarded scholarships to Yale, Harvard, and Princeton. Fortunately for us, he chose Princeton. His closest friend, Prospect Club mate, and fellow public and international affairs specialist, Bruce Buell, recalls that Jack’s thesis was on the rise of communism in Guatemala. His writings might not have coincided with the thoughts of his adviser, but they proved to be correct. Jack was a master sergeant in the Marines and a member of their honor guard for Pres. Eisenhower. Jack’s knowledge of international affairs qualified him for the foreign service, but he was unable to serve because of mental and emotional difficulties.

Jack, who was divorced and had no children, was cared for lovingly by his sister, June. Another sibling, Judy Chewning, also survives. Bruce Buell said that Jack, like John Nash Jr. *50, had a beautiful mind but, unlike Nash, didn’t get the breaks and was prevented from fulfilling his tremendous potential.

The Class of 1953



A true gentleman to the end, Fred died Mar. 1, 2002, of cancer at his home in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.

Fred entered Princeton from Gilman School, where he had been captain of the baseball team. At Princeton he sang in the Glee Club, was active in the Orange Key Society, and belonged to Colonial Club. After graduation he spent 12 years with Harry M. Stevens, where he became assistant manager. He then joined Equitable Trust in Baltimore. He began their BankAmericard operation and served on the national credit card committee of the American Bankers Assn., which changed the credit card’s name to Visa. For almost a decade, until 1996, he served as executive director of the France-Merrick Foundation, the second largest foundation in Maryland. He was a past president of the Children’s Fresh Air Society and was a trustee of Gilman School. Warm sympathy to his wife of 43 years, Lynn, son Wayne, daughter Lee Broh-Kahn, five grandchildren, and brother-in-law Ralph DeGroff ’58. When told of Fred’s death, roommate Karl Velde said that though outgoing, Fred was a private person who had a phenomenal ability to understand what people were all about.

The Class of 1953



Hal, who was mayor of New Providence, N.J., from 1978-99 and a councilman for 20 years before that, died of a heart attack on Feb. 28, 2002.

After graduation with a major in public and international affairs, Hal spent two years as a lieutenant in the artillery, married Mary Jane Beck in 1955, and then received his Harvard law degree. He was a US attorney in Newark, worked for N.J. Bell, and was a senior lawyer for AT&T for eight years before serious back problems forced him into early retirement. He was a member of the N.J. Bar Assn. and the local Red Cross chapter. He entered from Hackensack HS, belonged to Whig-Clio, and was in Dial Lodge. He roomed with Al Fried and Roger Miller, who recall Hal’s friendliness. Mary Jane said that Hal was proud to be a Princeton graduate, and that he gave her and their children—daughters Jane Ott, Mary Anne Barlow, and Susan Radosta, and sons James and Thomas—a good life. Also surviving are 16 grandchildren and sister Patricia Mahoney. Close friend Garland Boothe ’54 put it well saying, “Princeton has lost a loyal son.”

The Class of 1953


Charles Carroll III ’54

Charles Carroll died Jan. 19, 2002, from a cerebral accident after working in his garden. Born in Baltimore, he attended Gilman School. He was a member of Princeton’s 1953 lacrosse championship team. A history major, he was a member of Ivy Club and ROTC. After Princeton he served in the Army at Ft. Sill. Subsequent to the Korean War, he returned to Baltimore and worked for the Bell System in Maryland and later as consultant for Maryland National Bank. For the past 15 years, he worked in career guidance and human resources in Baltimore. He also worked for the Episcopal Diocese of Maryland and its ministry to the aging.

He never forgot his enthusiasm for Princeton. He is survived by his wife of 48 years, Anne, four children, and nine grandchildren. His greatest hope was to have a grandchild apply to Princeton. The class sends its sympathy to his wife and children.

The Class of 1954


Peter E. Ringawa ’56

Peter Ringawa died Nov. 11, 2001, at his home in Nuangola, Pa. He had been in failing health for several months.

Pete prepared for Princeton at Wyoming Seminary. In 1960 he received his MD from Jefferson Medical School in Philadelphia. Following his internship at St. Vincent’s Hospital in NYC and residency at Cornell, he was honorably discharged from the Army Medical Corps as a captain, having fulfilled his military obligation. He did postgraduate study in radiology and pathology.

At Princeton he was a member of the freshman wrestling team, the JV wrestling team, and the 150-lb. football team. A member of Cloister Inn, he participated in club sports. His senior thesis for the chemistry department was entitled “The Separation of Radioactive Praseodymium and Cerium.” In our 10th reunion yearbook, he wrote: “I value my Princeton education more and more with the passing years as a refuge for intellectualism and intellectual honesty, which is what Princeton is essentially.” Throughout his life, he maintained a strong interest in reading, in nature, in travel, and in medical research.

The class extends deepest sympathy to his sisters, Diane Magagna and Deborah Luke.

The Class of 1956


John D. Bowers ‘57

John died Mar. 17, 2002, in Oakland, Calif., after a brief illness. Born in Princeton, he was one of our townie undergraduates.

At Princeton John majored in psychology, was active in the outing club, and joined Court Club. His senior roommates were Bill Meather and Tom Van Auken. Years later he earned a master’s in social work at Berkeley.

After Princeton John served two years in the Army before moving to the East Bay, Calif. Area, where he was a social worker for Alameda City. He organized a union for social service workers, SEIU 535, and became its president. He negotiated major contracts for the union and was even arrested after a sit-in. He retired in June 2000.

John is survived by his wife, Kay Eisenhower, a stepson, a granddaughter, his brother, Tom Bowers, and eight nieces and nephews.

The Class of 1957


Garrett Paul Cole ’61

Garrett Cole died Oct. 14, 2001, at his home in Leawood, Kans. Born in Brooklyn, Garrett grew up in Kansas City, attending Pembroke Country Day School, where he starred in basketball and tennis.

At Princeton Garrett majored in politics, writing a thesis on “Soviet Youth and the State, 1945-1960.” A member of Colonial, he roomed in Hamilton Hall with Ben Turnbull, Bud Mackey, John Kelley, David Draudt, Jim Dolvin, and the late Cliff Conway.

His career began with Oppenheimer Industries and then Armendaris Securities Corp. He later founded Cole Realty Corp., which he served as president until his death. “His love of and respect for education never ended,” his daughter Adrienne Connolly writes, “fueled by his wonderful professors at Princeton.”

Garrett is survived by Adrienne and her husband, James Connolly, daughter Padget Hartung and her husband, John, and a grandson, Carsten Connolly. Adrienne, James, and Carsten joined us at the Service of Remembrance on Feb. 23, 2002. We join them and his other survivors in mourning his passing.

The Class of 1961


John Owen King III ’65

John died June 13, 2001, at home in Ann Arbor, Mich., after a long, courageous battle against MS. John’s spirit, tenacity, and intellect inspired his family, students, and friends. Born in Houston, Tex. and raised in Evanston, Ill., he was a member of Tower Club and graduated from the Woodrow Wilson School. He served in the Marine Corps from 1965-1968, including a tour of duty in Vietnam. He left the service as a decorated captain. He received his PhD in history from the U. of Wisconsin and was an assistant professor of American intellectual history at the U. of Michigan from 1975-1984 and at UCLA from 1984-1987. He is the author of The Iron of Melancholy.

He is survived by his wife, Jeanne Miller; his two sons, Richard and Brian; his parents, Jack and Marilynne King; his sister, Lynne Keating; and his former wife, Sharon King. The class extends condolences to all on the loss of this fine man.

Memorials may be made to the Multiple Sclerosis Society, 21311 Civic Center Dr., Southfield, MI, 48076, or to the Vietnam Veterans of America, 12th floor, McNamara Building, 477 Michigan Avenue, Detroit, MI, 48226.

The Class of 1965



Jeff died Nov. 16, 2001, of a heart attack at home in Sausalito. Jeff was born on July 24, 1943, in San Francisco, played the Prince in a high school production of The King and I, and never relinquished the role. Roommates Hilliard ’67, Jake Jacobson, Appler, Asbill, Cady, Cox, Donaker, Greco, Haines, Keker, Keller, McCardle, Pete Riley, Bruce Robertson, Roth, Singer, Sisco, and Spencer will attest to the phenomenon of nature and humor that was Jeff. Jeff majored in politics and played leads in Triangle Shows and Cannon Club parties. After a JD from Cal, he joined the old Chinese firm of Dinkelspiel & Dinkelspiel. Long-time editor of Equipment Leasing, a leading treatise, Jeff had a national reputation in leasing and lending. He was president-elect of the American Counsel Assn. and a member of Cooper, White & Cooper of San Francisco. Jeff’s avocation was stand-up comedy, starring in shows at the Bohemian Club of San Francisco. He was cremated in his ’65 reunion uniform and his ashes scattered at the Bohemian Grove.

This warm, generous, and gifted classmate is survived by his parents, Joe and Lillian Wong, his sister, Judy Wong, and his lifemate, Lynn (Rocky) Randall. His family has established the Jeffrey J. Wong Memorial Fund in his memory.

The Class of 1965



Bruce died suddenly of a heart attack Mar. 31, 2002. His life was a tapestry of global policy work and wide-ranging personal interests, reflecting his boundless sense of independence and his loyalty to, and enjoyment of, his friends. At Princeton Bruce balanced scholarship, varsity crew, and numerous creative pursuits. Fluent in Japanese and Mandarin, he became a Princeton-in-Asia fellow in Singapore prior to graduate study at Cornell U. and a Fulbright in Japan.

Bruce spent 15 years with the International Food Policy Research Institute, helping developing countries adapt policies and technology to improve health and nutrition. A highlight was project leadership in pre-Tiananmen China, during the days of China’s openness to foreign cooperation on policy reform. In 1995 Bruce joined Jeff Braswell ’70 at Risk Management Technologies, developing innovative software for Sumitomo Bank and other major Japanese corporations.

The first Tiger lightweight to win a World Rowing Championships gold medal in 1970, he medalled again in 1976, and coached in 1979. A devoted Hash House Harrier, he loved hiking, cycling, and running. He was an endlessly colorful world traveler. Above all, Bruce worked to keep ties of friendship strong over the years. Pallbearers included classmates Feldmeier, Crowley, Edinger, Braswell, Gaynor, Walter, and Steitler. The class extends its sympathies to Bruce’s mother, Kay Stone, and partner, Julie Witcover.

The Class of 1970


Jonathan E. Clodfelter ’93

Jonathan died Mar. 8, 2002, in an avalanche on the summit of Mount Judah, near Lake Tahoe. Jonathan came to Princeton from Seven Hills School in Cincinnati, where he was born and raised. He majored in economics, joined Charter Club, and served as co-editorial chair of the Daily Princetonian.

Jonathan was a bit of a nomad, picking up and moving from DC to Boston and then to San Francisco, working as an investment banker for Hambrecht & Quist.

He loved California and was an active outdoorsman — skiing in Tahoe, mountain biking, and surfing. Last year, he took a severance package when J.P. Morgan acquired H&Q and used it to undertake his “freedom tour” of the US, visiting many classmates across the country.

It’s hard not to smile when thinking of Jonathan—remembering one of his many witty remarks, provocative political pontifications, or his favorite retort to an overly liberal comment: “You’ve GOT to be kidding me.” We’ll remember those moments, and Jonathan’s huge grin and big heart.

To his parents, David and Carolyn, his brother, David, and his sister, Sarah, the class extends its deepest sympathies.

The Class of 1993

Current Issue    Online Archives    Printed Issue Archives
Advertising Info    Reader Services    Search    Contact PAW    Your Class Secretary